Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

RT is just doing his thing. Let him fly. 

The reality is that Myers played very average on Friday. PFF graded him at 50.1 if that's your thing (which is not good). He whiffed on a couple of run plays, including the 2-pt conversion. I don't know if that means you can't win a SB with him as your starting OC, but I have said for over a year now that I don't expect Myers to be the starting OC in 2025. I think the Packers will (and should) look to upgrade. 

The silliness of the comment is to suggest that the Packers can't have SB aspirations with him at C, like every team with SB aspiration has no marginal players in their lineups. But the sky is always falling club does need a few whipping boys at all times to help them sleep at night though.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R T said:

The silliness of the comment is to suggest that the Packers can't have SB aspirations with him at C, like every team with SB aspiration has no marginal players in their lineups. But the sky is always falling club does need a few whipping boys at all times to help them sleep at night though.  

Ive seen many a "move elgton to center and play morgan/rhyan at guard"

Myers is clearly better than Rhyan but the media hate is so strong on Josh.

Id say the growth has probably stopped with Josh, he still plays body forward, that leads to situations and its time for that to be  fixed.. but at least he knows how to use his hands and line up a 2nd level play.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

When you say, "let him fly." I assume that means put him on ignore? 

Personal choice, but I don't really believe in the ignore feature. This is a fan message board, there are no credentials required for participation. Some opinions are more informed than others, but that's part of the purpose of the board to begin with. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Ive seen many a "move elgton to center and play morgan/rhyan at guard"

Myers is clearly better than Rhyan but the media hate is so strong on Josh.

Id say the growth has probably stopped with Josh, he still plays body forward, that leads to situations and its time for that to be  fixed.. but at least he knows how to use his hands and line up a 2nd level play.

I'll give Myers this, he holds up fairly well against the pass (which the Packers care about more than the run game) and he's good in space. His biggest problem has always been when he's in a phone booth in the run game. A lot of inconsistency there. That being said, I'm not losing sleep over him being the starting OC.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2024 at 9:05 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

I never re-watch.  But just from the original viewing, I thought Preston was playing contain just fine.  

Yeah, that's what I said.  You never heard his name, never really noticed him.  He got to his spot and anchored just fine to make sure he had contain.   In other words, it didn't look like the gameplan was for Preston to turn it loose just to try to get a sack.  He set and EDGE and stuck to it.  It did look like Gary had a little more freedom to rush more, though I felt like he too had to set the edge first, then work off of it.  We had an obvious plan to try to box in Hurts.  And I dare say, the edges did that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leader said:

I remember this like it was a little over 4 decades ago! 

I actually do remember the comeback, but more than anything I remember how inept the Packers were in the first half. I had high hopes for that team. I think they were around .500 which was good for those days. 

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yeah, that's what I said.  You never heard his name, never really noticed him.  He got to his spot and anchored just fine to make sure he had contain.   In other words, it didn't look like the gameplan was for Preston to turn it loose just to try to get a sack.  He set and EDGE and stuck to it.  It did look like Gary had a little more freedom to rush more, though I felt like he too had to set the edge first, then work off of it.  We had an obvious plan to try to box in Hurts.  And I dare say, the edges did that.

This is kind of why I think LVN could have gotten more of a split in the snaps.  It wasn't really about rushing Hurts, it was about containing him.  I would have thought LVN's athleticism matched up with that assignment pretty well.

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I remember this like it was a little over 4 decades ago! 

I actually do remember the comeback, but more than anything I remember how inept the Packers were in the first half. I had high hopes for that team. I think they were around .500 which was good for those days. 

The Dickey/Lofton/Jefferson/Coffman teams of the early 80's were the first Packers teams I actually enjoyed watching.  They weren't great teams, but they were fun to watch.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

This is kind of why I think LVN could have gotten more of a split in the snaps.  It wasn't really about rushing Hurts, it was about containing him.  I would have thought LVN's athleticism matched up with that assignment pretty well.

Personally?  I'd have given LVN more snaps over Engbare.  But that is just me.

And I'd also give LVN a few snaps as an inside rusher, hand in the dirt, or upright on a blitz.  But, your point is correct in my book, LVN should have had and should have more snaps.

Sometime we will have a lead, I'll be curious to see what our big pressure package brings, instead of this rush/contain package.