Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 9/13/2024 at 11:40 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

I was very young in the 80s.  What I really remember was watching the first half of the Packers game, then going outside and playing "football" in the yard.  You know, throw the ball in the air and make a diving catch, run and get "tackled" and do a summersault.  Eventually score a TD and do a big spike.  I knew that they were bad, but I don't remember seeing them actually lose many games. 

ahhh... to be in my 20s again.  🤣

lol. Pretending to run it like TD Middleton, Eddie Lee Ivory or Barry Smith and catching passes like Lofton, JJ or Caufman

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 6:20 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

It was always 2 hand touch, except when we played smear the queer, but nobody ever got running fast enough to hurt anyone playing that.  Except on snow days.  Then it was like NFL Blitz.  Cross bodies, wrestling moves, clotheslines, LOL.

Hardest hit I ever saw as a kid was me leading my neighbor with a pass and him running full speed into the metal close line pole….  He cried. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 6:34 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know where the name "smear the queer" came from.  Perhaps in a more PC world, it would have been called "odd man out" or something.  But when we played it, nobody was concerned about anyone else's sexual orientation, or offending any alphabet people.  It was just a game, and it was fun.

I had heard it called STQ but we called it “Fumble Rumble” in Milwaukee in the 80’s. At least in our neighborhoods. 

42 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Has there been any word on if there's an alternate jersey this year?

They are doing the "winter warning" (all white) game against the Texans. 

Also caught a nugget on X that The Pro Shop released all the game-day pins and for the December 23 game against the Saints, the throwback logo is on the pin - seemingly implying that the Packers will wear the 50s throwback for that game. 

8 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Lloyd down for four minimum. 

Probably best. He's had like 3 different soft-tissue injuries in two months. Gotta give him extra time to get healthy. 

I'm actually intrigued a bit by Chris Brooks, he replacement. He doesn't have the wiggle, but he's a hard runner. 

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

They are doing the "winter warning" (all white) game against the Texans. 

Also caught a nugget on X that The Pro Shop released all the game-day pins and for the December 23 game against the Saints, the throwback logo is on the pin - seemingly implying that the Packers will wear the 50s throwback for that game. 

That's what I'm more looking for. If they are wearing them this year I'm getting a #20 Bullard

Interesting to see Brooks get the nod over Merriweather who has been with us all preseason.

2023 Preaseason Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFLQi_7lRPQ

He's very mediocre running through the middle, seems to lack vision/skills once he gets past the line of scrimmage. However he seems interesting as a receiving option. This might be why he got the nod over Merriweather.

They looked at La'Mical Perine, gave him 10 days, Brooks comes in during that time and did well enough for the Packers to release Perine.

I suspect they wanted someone on the PS to potentially replace Dillon's receiving abilities should the need arise hence why they kicked the tyres on both Perine and Brooks over the past few weeks. Lloyd injury meant that Brooks landed on the roster far sooner than expected. It's fortunate timing for him and a big opportunity to put up some solid NFL tape.