Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Here's a very interesting blurb from a new Go Long interview with Ron Wolf.  This is something I hadn't heard before.

Surprised you hadn't heard this before. It's was fairly widely reported, I thought. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Huh.  I had never heard of the Jets being that close to acquiring Favre rather than ATL.

Yeah, Wolf had his draft crush and finally got him in GB.  Glad it worked out for everyone. If Brett was less of a loose cannon, ATL might not have let him go because everyone knew the man could sling it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

If Brett was less of a loose cannon, ATL might not have let him go because everyone knew the man could sling it. 

If he hadn’t flipped his car multiple times (and nearly killed himself in the process) during his Sr year at So. Miss, he would've been long gone before the end of the 1st-early 2nd rd. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I have a hard time with these videos when the creator puts out something new for each fanbase every week declaring "so and so player is a STEAL" blah blah blah. Probably a good business model, but feels very calculated and algo-focused.

you can draw your own conclusions anyway.  Watch whatever player you want it's a really nice cutup of packers defensive plays.  Saw Gary being nicely disruptive on one of them.

56 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Surprised you hadn't heard this before. It's was fairly widely reported, I thought. 

Yeah, that is one that I actually believe, because Wolf made the move afterward.  

But I always take with a grain of salt the guys that tell about who they would have picked.  There are never stories about how team X tried to give up 3 firsts for Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf, but their offer was rejected.  It is always a really good player.  

On 10/8/2024 at 1:33 PM, incognito_man said:

The passing game needs to be better absolutely. And there's good reason to think it can/will be.

Leaving a lot on the field right now. Hopefully hit their stride for when it matters most!

I'm old enough to remember that if a guy was completing 70% of his passes with a 2:1 td:int ratio everyone would have been going nuts about how great he was. 

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

Yeah, Wolf had his draft crush and finally got him in GB.  Glad it worked out for everyone. If Brett was less of a loose cannon, ATL might not have let him go because everyone knew the man could sling it. 

The depth chart wasn't what we'd call "stacked" in hindsight, but he was also behind a competent first rounder in Chris Miller and a competent (-ish) backup in Billy Joe Tolliver (who at that point was still relatively young but had started 19 games in his first couple years, and while not great had that big arm football people always fall in love with)...so while he COULD have stepped up and shown something and worked his way in, he would've had to really wow people to get a fair shot. 

Instead he decided to do an re-enactment of Sherman's March but with alcohol instead of an army. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The depth chart wasn't what we'd call "stacked" in hindsight, but he was also behind a competent first rounder in Chris Miller and a competent (-ish) backup in Billy Joe Tolliver (who at that point was still relatively young but had started 19 games in his first couple years, and while not great had that big arm football people always fall in love with)...so while he COULD have stepped up and shown something and worked his way in, he would've had to really wow people to get a fair shot. 

Instead he decided to do an re-enactment of Sherman's March but with alcohol instead of an army. 

Also, Glanville hated Favre. He was pissed the Falcons drafted him and treated him like dirt the whole year he was in Atlanta. He treated him like he was a circus animal. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

They would've ruined him too. 

Pairing him up with Holmgren and Mooch saved him. He was still a raging alcoholic Wildman but they harnessed his football talent enough to overcome the downsides. What a fun player/tragic hero he was. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Pairing him up with Holmgren and Mooch saved him. He was still a raging alcoholic Wildman but they harnessed his football talent enough to overcome the downsides. What a fun player/tragic hero he was. 

I credit Mooch for a lot of how that worked out.  Not sure Favre would have made it with just Holmgren. Mooch was a great buffer between the two.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Sounds like Musgrave is going to IR now, per MLFs presser today. 

For what? This also may explain why he's been playing like donkey ****. 

Good thing we have the Messiah to replace him. 

Edited by Old Guy