Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

16 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'd rather take away the incentive for the touchback altogether.  Make it something teams only want to do when the game is in hand.

You can do that somewhat by moving the kicking coverage team down further from the 40 yard line to the 35 yard line.  Then move the receiving team back from the 35 to the 30 yard line.  Right now, most kick off returners are tackled between the 25-35 yard line so their is no real incentive for coaches to actually kick the ball to where it could be returned, so they just kick it into the end zone and allow the ball to go to be placed at the 30 yard line.  If you make the changes I suggested above, most kick off returners will be tackled between the 20-30 yard line, so now the coach has more incentive to kick the ball to where it should be returned as it would put the kicking teams defense in a more advantageous field position making the offense go further to score. Plus if for some reason you mishandle the kickoff your coverage team is that much closer to the returner and may actually recover one or two of these.

This change would not guarantee a return, but would increase the odds of a return.

17 hours ago, packfanfb said:

He also said Watson had a high ankle sprain. My guess is Wicks ....

Just to clarify...  he's saying Watson "had" a high ankle sprain a few weeks ago?  Or that he now has a high ankle sprain after Cardinals game?  We're meaning past tense, right?    

10 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

You can do that somewhat by moving the kicking coverage team down further from the 40 yard line to the 35 yard line.  Then move the receiving team back from the 35 to the 30 yard line.  Right now, most kick off returners are tackled between the 25-35 yard line so their is no real incentive for coaches to actually kick the ball to where it could be returned, so they just kick it into the end zone and allow the ball to go to be placed at the 30 yard line.  If you make the changes I suggested above, most kick off returners will be tackled between the 20-30 yard line, so now the coach has more incentive to kick the ball to where it should be returned as it would put the kicking teams defense in a more advantageous field position making the offense go further to score. Plus if for some reason you mishandle the kickoff your coverage team is that much closer to the returner and may actually recover one or two of these.

This change would not guarantee a return, but would increase the odds of a return.

Does the kicking team get to move when the ball is caught/touches the ground in the landing zone?  If that is the case, I am wondering when teams will have the kicker try to land the ball around the 10-15 yard line and hope for an awkward bounce that the returner has to field

20 minutes ago, craig said:

Just to clarify...  he's saying Watson "had" a high ankle sprain a few weeks ago?  Or that he now has a high ankle sprain after Cardinals game?  We're meaning past tense, right?    

Schultz initially reported that Watson had a high ankle sprain after the Vikings game. That turned out not to be the case. He's not reporting Wicks is "week to week." Could be true, but perhaps not. 

36 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This coming from the guy who tells me there are always ways to create cap space. 

Yeah, there is and I'd like to use it on Zach Tom and some of our WRs. 

Adding Crosby gives you this year and next in a window, before we have to start doing the cap charade again, which results in you having to pay Crosby into his 30s. He's not needed and it's not happening, GB isnt giving up premium draft compensation in possibly their only year to host the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah, there is and I'd like to use it on Zach Tom and some of our WRs. 

Adding Crosby gives you this year and next in a window, before we have to start doing the cap charade again, which results in you having to pay Crosby into his 30s. He's not needed and it's not happening, GB isnt giving up premium draft compensation in possibly their only year to host the draft. 

I guess it all depends on what you think it would take to win a SB. Right now I think we are not getting to the SB with one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL. There may be more creative solutions then Crosby though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I guess it all depends on what you think it would take to win a SB. Right now I think we are not getting to the SB with one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL. There may be more creative solutions then Crosby though. 

This is a stupid narrative you are trying to breathe life into.

They are currently 11th in sacks with a hurry rate of 8.9% which is 8th in the NFL. While blitzing at the 28th lowest percentage of all teams at 17.3%. 

The Packers are not in need to and pass rush to this roster.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, R T said:

This is a stupid narrative you are trying to breathe life into.

They are currently 11th in sacks with a hurry rate of 8.9% which is 8th in the NFL. While blitzing at the 28th lowest percentage of all teams at 17.3%. 

The Packers are not in need to and pass rush to this roster.  

We will see I guess.