Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Ever year I ask the same question why is Jerry Kramer not in the HOF. All I got was lame excuses. Well he finally he made it, no thanks to Packer fans. The push came from non Packer fans, Kramer & Jim Parker of the Baltimore Colts were the two best O lineman of their era. CONGRATULATIONS TO JERRY KRAMER

Evidently his daughter was pushing for it also.  She may be Jerry's HOF presenter.

On 1/31/2018 at 3:04 PM, Packerraymond said:

The fact that Mike had to stand up there and get grilled by the media after Josh Sitton was cut (a move Mac didn't even make) was purely cowardly on the part of Ted. This is coming from one of Ted's staunch supporters. He was a great general manager, but its obvious that he failed miserably at the end when it came to the "manager" part of the title. There needs to be an open line of communication throughout coaching staff and FO that clearly didn't exist. When it comes to the media/fans, it's not necessary, but does make the difference between how average Packers fans view the Wolf era vs the Ted era despite the records and successes being equal. You can be involved without giving anything away, the new young guns in Milwaukee (Stearns and Horst) have proven this. I have no doubts Gutey will be a huge improvement there.

I mean, I could care less how forthcoming a GM/coach is with the media.  It's not their responsibility to answer to fans.  Would I prefer a GM who was willing to open up?  Absolutely, but let's not pretend they have any responsibility to explain themselves to fans.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I could care less how forthcoming a GM/coach is with the media.  It's not their responsibility to answer to fans.  Would I prefer a GM who was willing to open up?  Absolutely, but let's not pretend they have any responsibility to explain themselves to fans.

Where did I say it was necessary? I said the opposite, however it clearly is the difference between how Wolf/Harlan are viewed versus Ted and Murphy.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Where did I say it was necessary? I said the opposite, however it clearly is the difference between how Wolf/Harlan are viewed versus Ted and Murphy.

I was speaking more in general.  I know you mentioned a while back that you felt the GM needed to be more available to the media.  Honestly, outside of the draft and the 53 man roster cutdown, he doesn't really have any obligation to fans or the media.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Bull**** it was the clear difference. Fan expectations coming in and nostalgia are the significant differences.

Wolf/Harlan came into a garbage team and franchise. There were zero fan expectations and the team then got good. Fans were just so damn grateful to not be a joke that they worshipped them as heros. Their QB stayed healthy which helped them out tremendously.

Thompson/Murphy inherited an ugly roster and the Favre divorce. The difference was that fans had high expectations after a decade of not completely sucking. The team then immediately won it's super bowl with Rodgers. Fan expectations went from high to unrealistic. Average performance and **** luck with injuries lead to some brutal losses. 

Fans will remember Thompson and Murphy better in the long run than they do in the moment. It will happen especially if the team regresses post Rodgers. 

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bull**** it was the clear difference. Fan expectations coming in and nostalgia are the significant differences.

Wolf/Harlan came into a garbage team and franchise. There were zero fan expectations and the team then got good. Fans were just so damn grateful to not be a joke that they worshipped them as heros. Their QB stayed healthy which helped them out tremendously.

Thompson/Murphy inherited an ugly roster and the Favre divorce. The difference was that fans had high expectations after a decade of not completely sucking. The team then immediately won it's super bowl with Rodgers. Fan expectations went from high to unrealistic. Average performance and **** luck with injuries lead to some brutal losses. 

Fans will remember Thompson and Murphy better in the long run than they do in the moment. It will happen especially if the team regresses post Rodgers. 

Disagree. Thompson's personality has a ton to do with the negative fan perception that surrounds him.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Disagree. Thompson's personality has a ton to do with the negative fan perception that surrounds him.

Not saying it doesn't play a part, but there was a good portion of Packer nation who never got over the Favre divorce. They had to stuff it for a while after the super bowl, but they were never willing to love Thompson like they were Wolf. 

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It has nothing to do with his personality.  It has more to do with the Packers struggles to win another Super Bowl and his lack of willingness to be a big player in FA.

Just now, cannondale said:

And after all of these years and all of the fights seen on this forum - we find out last year the roster is talent poor. Ironic

I think that's a mischaracterization. We beat the teams that we played who were talent poor with our backup QB. I think you could say talent average and be correct.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think that's a mischaracterization. We beat the teams that we played who were talent poor with our backup QB. I think you could say talent average and be correct.

Gonna have to disagree there because too many of our "talented" guys are on their last legs. And we don't have many of them

Just now, cannondale said:

Gonna have to disagree there because too many of our "talented" guys are on their last legs. And we don't have many of them

You're using the word "talented" when you mean "star". We've got two superstars on this roster, Rodgers and Bakhtiari. I don't think anybody is claiming other wise.

We've got plenty of talented players, Bulaga, Clark, Daniels, Perry, Martinez, HHCD, etc. This team needs a healthy CB rotation, and a real #2 pass rusher. Get this group that and you're doing fine. The offensive skills should fill in with time. 

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're using the word "talented" when you mean "star". We've got two superstars on this roster, Rodgers and Bakhtiari. I don't think anybody is claiming other wise.

We've got plenty of talented players, Bulaga, Clark, Daniels, Perry, Martinez, HHCD, etc. This team needs a healthy CB rotation, and a real #2 pass rusher. Get this group that and you're doing fine. The offensive skills should fill in with time. 

Don't disagree with that assessment. Under the old regime it would take all of Rodgers remaining years to fill those holes

42 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I guess your right but it took OT to beat 3 non playoff teams 2 of which will draft in the top 10. We were just barely better than som really bad teams.