Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 hours ago, cannondale said:

Gonna have to disagree there because too many of our "talented" guys are on their last legs. And we don't have many of them

I believe there were MANY posters in here who said the Packers sans Aaron Rodgers were as talented as the Cleveland Browns.  The Packers won 3 games with Brett Hundley as their starting QB, while the Browns won a single game.  Obviously, that was a hyperbole.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're using the word "talented" when you mean "star". We've got two superstars on this roster, Rodgers and Bakhtiari. I don't think anybody is claiming other wise.

We've got plenty of talented players, Bulaga, Clark, Daniels, Perry, Martinez, HHCD, etc. This team needs a healthy CB rotation, and a real #2 pass rusher. Get this group that and you're doing fine. The offensive skills should fill in with time. 

Every word of this.  We don't have any real blue chippers outside of Rodgers and Bakh at this point.  We've got a slew of guys who are in that good, but not great territory.  Get healthy, get another productive pass rusher, and this team is just fine.

44 minutes ago, Chili said:

Thinking back I am appalled that our defence never reached an elite level of play.

We had Hyde and Hayward on the team, we had younger Matthews, Peppers and Perry. We had a healthy Shields,  Mike Daniels, Tramon Williams. Ha Ha,  Burnett. On paper that is a top 10 defence.

Shame Capers...Shame.

First off, Hyde was NEVER a reason for our team being great.  And I'd argue that Casey Hayward wasn't the reason either.  Our defense was at it's best when our top 3 corners were Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, and Sam Shields.  You add in good pass rushers in Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, and Nick Perry.  Which one of those positions is currently better now than it was before?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I believe there were MANY posters in here who said the Packers sans Aaron Rodgers were as talented as the Cleveland Browns.  The Packers won 3 games with Brett Hundley as their starting QB, while the Browns won a single game.  Obviously, that was a hyperbole.

I'm not so sure I'd say the Packers roster is Browns level minus Rodgers, but it might be lower 3rd in the league.  The Packers barely escaped with victory against an 0-16 team.  The good thing is that Rodger's return fixes a lot of the issues.  If Gute can manage to give Pettine some more talent to work with we might actually be able to field a solid defense.  I'm not so sure that defense isn't already improved after ousting Capers.  I'm reasonably sure the Packers will be a serious contender if Rodgers is healthy, and the defense is at least average.

47 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm not so sure I'd say the Packers roster is Browns level minus Rodgers, but it might be lower 3rd in the league.  The Packers barely escaped with victory against an 0-16 team.  The good thing is that Rodger's return fixes a lot of the issues.  If Gute can manage to give Pettine some more talent to work with we might actually be able to field a solid defense.  I'm not so sure that defense isn't already improved after ousting Capers.  I'm reasonably sure the Packers will be a serious contender if Rodgers is healthy, and the defense is at least average.

Even then, I think that's a bit extreme.  Are we the Jets or Browns?  Absolutely not.  

I’d say the roster is middle of the road.

Watching the super bowl last night showed me that with the right coaching our talent is way better then it has shown.

Look at New England... from a talent standpoint their defense is way worse then GB. But their coaches maximize ever little bit of that talent. Where as GB has better talent that is greatly under utilized. Give NE Green Bay’s defense... $20 buck says they are a more dominant team.

Its just like their offense... no one is screaming for chris hogan to be their wr. But with the right QB his talents are maximized. Jags went to the championship game this year... the year before they had just as good of talent... you know the year the finished with a top 5 pick, they added a piece here and there and more importantly they put it all together because they had the head guy in Tom Coghlin pulling all the right strings.

GB doesn’t have terrible roster talent. The defense has been underused for years and this past year the keystone of the offense got injured.

Edited by Green19

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

First off, Hyde was NEVER a reason for our team being great.  And I'd argue that Casey Hayward wasn't the reason either.  Our defense was at it's best when our top 3 corners were Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, and Sam Shields.  You add in good pass rushers in Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, and Nick Perry.  Which one of those positions is currently better now than it was before?

Neither.  We didn't even bother making Julius an offer, Clay isn't what he once was and Perry can't stay healthy.  Randall might turn out okay but House is a shell of his former self, King was ended up on IR and the others belong on the PS or Special Teams and not starting.  

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Every word of this.  We don't have any real blue chippers outside of Rodgers and Bakh at this point.  We've got a slew of guys who are in that good, but not great territory.  Get healthy, get another productive pass rusher, and this team is just fine.

I agree with you. Honestly to me, it has been more about coaching than talent. The Patriots prove year after year that you don't need a loaded roster with gobs of talent to be successful. You have to have a fundamentally sound football team that plays exceptional situational football and not make mistakes. The Patriots, regardless of who they have at the offensive skill positions, find ways to get guys open. Despite not really having great pass rushers or elite secondary players over the years they have consistently been a Top 10 scoring defense and red zone defense. That's what matters at the end of the day. They are masters at exploiting the weaknesses and tendencies of the opposing team. Mike McCarthy and his offensive staff over the years have thought they were rolling with Moss and Rice at WR. The defense was just completely incompetent. Guys consistently out of position, especially during 2 minute drive situations. It became very frustrating over the years to see our defense consistently give up TD drives before halftime and at the end of regulation. That is coaching. If guys are making the same mistakes over and over again, they are simply thinking too much out there. It was like clockwork. That's not the hallmark of a championship caliber defense.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Absolutely.  If we got halfway decent QB play, we're probably a 9 or 10 win team last year.  Instead, we won 7 games in spite of Hundley's play.

And I believe not making the playoffs will end up being a blessing in disguise.  We should be GLAD we didn't make the playoffs this past year. Having everything go to hell finally forced both Murphy and McCarthy to make the changes we desperately needed. I seriously doubt Ted would have stepped aside or McCarthy would have fired Capers if we rode into the playoffs on Rodgers' coattails only to be royally bounced out on our ears by a more complete team. Perhaps now with a higher draft position and a new DC we can fix this defense and become the balanced team you need to win in the playoffs with our fabulous QB leading the way.