Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

I'm over Montgomery. He's in the last year of his deal. Teach our young guys to catch the ball and move on

Yeah, just a disappointment all around.  He could have been good, but he can't stay healthy.

RB Snap Counts per FO:

Ty Mont in 2016 = 36 % on offense - top RB

Ty Mont in 2017 = 26% of offensive snaps  # 2 RB

Williams had 42 %, Jones had 22 % Rip with 17 %

Today, MM said he's multi-positional, so putting aside his injuries ... Monty can play RB and what else ?  Slot WR ? Move TE/H-back ?

I think Ty would function well in a two back set out of the gun with a bruiser like Williams taking the bulk of the carries. Get some motion working and try to isolate him on linebackers. Unfortunately we haven’t cared to try anything like that consistently in quite some time.

3 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I think Ty would function well in a two back set out of the gun with a bruiser like Williams taking the bulk of the carries. Get some motion working and try to isolate him on linebackers. Unfortunately we haven’t cared to try anything like that consistently in quite some time.

But in that scenario you're taking the best running back, Jones, out of the game.

8 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

But in that scenario you're taking the best running back, Jones, out of the game.

I’m not saying run it often, but a few times a game it gives a different look than we’re used to giving and probably maximizes what you’ll get out of Montgomery while he’s here as well. Jones should see close to 2/3rds of the carries sooner rather than later as long as he keeps himself out of trouble.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:23 PM, Rodjahs12 said:

I’m not saying run it often, but a few times a game it gives a different look than we’re used to giving and probably maximizes what you’ll get out of Montgomery while he’s here as well. Jones should see close to 2/3rds of the carries sooner rather than later as long as he keeps himself out of trouble.

I'm less worried about the "keep himself out of trouble" angle as I am about the "staying healthy" one.

Green Bay Packers: Cornerback, guard, tight end

The legacy of former general manager Ted Thompson is that the Packers are pretty solid throughout the roster without being exceptional at any position besides quarterback and tackle. That gives new general manager Brian Gutekunst flexibility in what to go after in this new world where free agency is no longer a dirty phrase. The Packers could be players in a deep cornerback market or try to find a tight end who could do for them what Martellus Bennett could not last season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919968/article/2018-nfl-free-agency-biggest-needs-for-each-nfc-team

Also, can I please point out that years ago (3-4) I suggested there was no way Seattle would be able to maintain for long term. Now, they have had ALOT of success, but with all of today’s happenings it seems like that core is gone and they are rebuilding. We are still a playoff favorite with the same core (Rodgers, Nelson, Matthews). 

Feels good to be right for once, even if insignificant.

Edited by Siman08/OH

1 minute ago, Siman08/OH said:

Also, can I please point out that years ago (3-4)  I suggested there was no way Seattle would be able to maintain for long term. Now, they have had ALOT of success, but with all of today’s happenings it seems like that core is gone and they are rebuilding. We are still a playoff favorite with the same core (Rodgers, Nelson, Matthews). 

Feels good to be right for once, even if insignificant.

It's ridiculously hard to maintain success. League working as designed.

Should make people appreciate just what TT did here.