Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's ridiculously hard to maintain success. League working as designed.

Should make people appreciate just what TT did here.

It really really really hurts when you think about what life could have been like had Rodgers not got hurt. We woulda been in the playoffs and Rodgers would probably have a 3rd MVP and who knows, maybe another title. The NFC was weak IMO. 

Instead we lost another year of his prime and rebuilt the coaching staff. Personally I think it’s going to work out, we will get right back to our winning ways for the next 3-4 years and if we win a Super Bowl with a new roster (or defense) then we will look back and be happy it went down.

Crossroads is an understatement.

But I sure am happy the teams that caused us grief have gone backwards since smashing our hearts (Seattle & San Fran).

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yep. Shame his career got derailed.

So freaking depressing the sequence of events that all had to line up for the Packers to not be a dynasty. And it all happened. Collins, Tramon, Finley, Sam, Franklin. All had career ending/altering injuries. Gotta wonder how the story is different with those guys in the fold.

4 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

So freaking depressing the sequence of events that all had to line up for the Packers to not be a dynasty. And it all happened. Collins, Tramon, Finley, Sam, Franklin. All had career ending/altering injuries. Gotta wonder how the story is different with those guys in the fold.

Imagine isf Jennings wasn’t the way he was and stayed with an elite Nelson, a solid Jones, Cobb in the slot and Finley opposite that defense led by Shields/Collins/Haha.

oh the possibilities.

I still don't get the infatuation with Sammy Watkins in the NFL. You'd think from what you hear he'd be this amazing athlete, but he's a 4.45 guy, jumped 34", barely under 7 second 3 cone and then had a SS that would be mediocre for a LB. He hasn't produced in the NFL yet either. If he'd be willing to take 6m per, yeah I'd love to take a shot based off the college film, but at double digit AAV I just don't get it?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I still don't get the infatuation with Sammy Watkins in the NFL. You'd think from what you hear he'd be this amazing athlete, but he's a 4.45 guy, jumped 34", barely under 7 second 3 cone and then had a SS that would be mediocre for a LB. He hasn't produced in the NFL yet either. If he'd be willing to take 6m per, yeah I'd love to take a shot based off the college film, but at double digit AAV I just don't get it?

He doesn't play like an amazing athlete regardless of how he tests. By the way some talk you'd think he was mini Julio. Dudes more prime Jordy in my eyes than that by far. Which isn't bad with that comp but he's not some freak to me at all.

Watkins has flashed brilliance at times, I can recall a game against the Chiefs where he dominated them a couple years ago. I can't think of another WR that has suffered so much from poor QB play and injuries over the last few years as him. 

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

Watkins has flashed brilliance at times, I can recall a game against the Chiefs where he dominated them a couple years ago. I can't think of another WR that has suffered so much from poor QB play and injuries over the last few years as him. 

Watkins has done a LOT considering the quarterbacks he's played for.  Not enough, but a lot.  He would be worth whatever contract he signed here just for the attention that teams would have to pay him alone.  Like I said with Jared Cook, it's not even what they would do, it's what they COULD do, which would make defenses actually have to cover someone. 

We desperately need that on offense.  Davante can't be the only one teams are remotely afraid of.  Jordy and Randall have their place and I want them on this team, but nobody is afraid of those two. 

It's all moot because I doubt Watkins would take less to invest in himself for another contract next year.  He wants to get paid now. 

• Like 1

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Watkins has done a LOT considering the quarterbacks he's played for.  Not enough, but a lot.  He would be worth whatever contract he signed here just for the attention that teams would have to pay him alone.  Like I said with Jared Cook, it's not even what they would do, it's what they COULD do, which would make defenses actually have to cover someone. 

We desperately need that on offense.  Davante can't be the only one teams are remotely afraid of.  Jordy and Randall have their place and I want them on this team, but nobody is afraid of those two. 

It's all moot because I doubt Watkins would take less to invest in himself for another contract next year.  He wants to get paid now. 

Watkins and Allen Robinson in very different situations in what they will be looking at in FA. Watkins has done enough to warrant spending $10+ on a multiyear deal, and there are a few teams with the cap who would probably do it. I can't see anyone offering ARob what he wants so he should go the Jeffrey route.

Would love either here, but like you said no way we can do that with both Jordy and Cobb

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He was the real deal coming out of college IMO. Was he worth (what?) the 5th draft pick? Most probably not as he hasnt been the second coming of Calvin - but he was an exciting player, thats for sure. I suspect injuries, less than stellar QB play and DCs analyzing his game moreso than college DCs did "leveled" his play off in the NFL. But outside the injury issues (I hate foot injuries on NFL players as they're often times recurring.....) I still think him a talent. Not a 10+M talent - but not everybody need be measured by that yardstick.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I still don't get the infatuation with Sammy Watkins in the NFL.

In one of his offseason interviews, MM talked about AVAILABILITY as his number 1 thing going into 2018.

Watkins has had multiple foot surgeries, Packers aren't going to break the bank for a WR with bad feet

• Like 1