Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Gage is weak, not unlike the Ukraine
He chooses to allocate his limited battery life to other "endeavors" in the bathroom at WaWa
(if you need a hint, watch Kramer's right hand motion)

Meanwhile, its Weds afternoon and we ain't got squat for a GDT... how gauche is that for a 7-1 team ?

r6Vvgty.gif?noredirect

@FinneasGage, GDT. 

@Packerraymond, do you think Pettine throws out vanilla looks against teams like the Chiefs last week and the Raiders a week before when they are limited in what they can do (receivers, QB) to not provide tape for later, more important games?

@AlexGreen#20, same question.  

I feel like he’s been sending a hell of a lot less blitzes lately.  

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

do you think Pettine throws out vanilla looks against teams like the Chiefs last week and the Raiders a week before when they are limited in what they can do (receivers, QB) to not provide tape for later, more important games

no, I don't think this is a consideration.  Maybe against the Raiders, but I think the most important game is the game in front of you.  The later regular season games only become important when you lose these games. 

I think the Raiders game it was a philosophy of "stop the run" and the Chiefs game it was a philosophy of "it's a backup QB"

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@FinneasGage, GDT. 

@Packerraymond, do you think Pettine throws out vanilla looks against teams like the Chiefs last week and the Raiders a week before when they are limited in what they can do (receivers, QB) to not provide tape for later, more important games?

I suspect it's strongly a belief that the packer offense will outscore those offenses assuming the defense doesn't blow it. There isn't a huge need for the defense to force a couple of turnovers and risk the big play. Better to play it safe in those instances under the assumption the offense will beat itself if you don't open any doors for them.

Against better offenses who won't beat themselves, you have to take more risks and force the issue further.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@FinneasGage, GDT. 

OP you didn't ask me but this has rolled around my mind a few times. I honestly think any DC wants to get home with 4 plain and simple. Get home with 4 and drop more into coverage. we have been beat up a bit and played a couple good Olines recently ( the chiefs played well surprisingly ). With that said we haven't really had to gamble the offence has kept us in games and or had the lead. It pickers up the netherregions for most of us in the GDT but it works too. Why blitz if you can work to get home with the 4. With that said we need production frmo 51, 52, 96, 95, 90 and 94 cause we are putting everything

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I suspect it's strongly a belief that the packer offense will outscore those offenses assuming the defense doesn't blow it. There isn't a huge need for the defense to force a couple of turnovers and risk the big play. Better to play it safe in those instances under the assumption the offense will beat itself if you don't open any doors for them.

Against better offenses who won't beat themselves, you have to take more risks and force the issue further.

I think this is a really interesting discussion point from a slightly different angle.

Which teams in the NFL have a head coach who can and does dictate the "philosophy" of the game plan outside of their side of the ball? 

For instance, I'm sure MLF talks with Pettine about how he thinks the game will/should go and what they should try to accomplish. I'm not sure that MLF is ever dictating to Pettine that he "play it safe" though.  That's probably still Pettine's call.  Almost like, both Offense and Defense try to do their individual best not accounting for the other in the process.  WHatever is happening in Arizona with Kingsbury is almost entirely 2 separate shops playing in the same game.

Obviously big picture things change as the game develops, and once you get down/up you change strategies and adapt from a macro strategy perspective.

Other teams view this differently.  For example,

BB, Harbaugh, Gruden probably get really involved in the "style" of the defense or offense from a game plan perspective.  That's just a guess (outside of BB which is a definite).  Any other coaches/teams come to mind?