Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

13 hours ago, Refugee said:

I mean, I like championships as much as anyone but that seems like a hard argument to justify moving a player, because he didn't single handedly bring his new team a SB.  31 teams don't go all the way every year.  Hayward signed a second deal for a ridiculously low amount and even at the time it was apparent.  Our secondary was also a mess for years after, he would have made us a better team on a very fair contract.  Would we have won it all?  impossible to say and probably not but that is true every season.  In hindsight, it was a bad move.

To be clear my point was more of a teambuilding thing. I think paying an elite slot corner who, and I might be wrong here, had bad tape on the boundary. Means you are probably either going with sub-par boundary play or are paying too much for your secondary - making the team as a whole weaker. Consistently good teams don't pay that guy, they pay guys like Gilmore or Ramsey. That's just a better use of money, as is paying edge rushers, you have to sacrifice some things. 

On 11/8/2020 at 9:52 AM, Leader said:

Ben Fennell -   Packers defense deployed a new defensive front vs SF... This was the same 6-1 scheme that Bill Belichick used against Sean McVay in SB53

certainly helps find your gaps when 6 ppl are on the line.  5 across can be really really strong and was in vogue last year.

Is the weakness the draw play?  with every run defender on the line, aren't you asking for trouble when a dropper keys pass and has to drop so much further than he would from 4-6 yards off the LOS?

How will it work vs a QB who can move?

Edited by skibrett15

21 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

certainly helps find your gaps when 6 ppl are on the line.  5 across can be really really strong. Is the weakness the draw play?  with every run defender on the line, aren't you asking for trouble when a dropper keys pass and has to drop so much further than he would from 4-6 yards off the LOS?

I like it. If we're not overly stout up the middle......okay, collapse the line from the outside in. The more the merrier.

Edit add on:  Plus......weren't we down two ILBs for the game (?) or did we lose one to injury during it - putting us down 2?

I dont know anything about this JAX backup....but took a look at the HOU/JAX box score and he had 1 run for 13 yards.....so he might not be inclined to running around. 

Edited by Leader

News trickled out this weekend that GB was involved in trade talks for Will Fuller AND for DT/NT Dalvin Tomlinson of the NYGs.  Glad they tried to upgrade at WR and on DL- and was interesting to note that both players are young and approaching FA in 2021. It tells us either GB was OK with lower cost rentals OR that they wanted/needed the ability to structure the 2021 contacts $$ to make it all work. 

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber -   With a night game and then an eight-game grind, LaFleur gave everybody a couple days off to recharge their batteries.

Was it really that much of a grind with the early bye?  These next 8 will surely be harder, which is why the rest is welcome. Only way to get a break now is to grab the 1 seed or if Covid brings the whole tent down, which is a real possibility. 

Edited by Refugee

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

certainly helps find your gaps when 6 ppl are on the line.  5 across can be really really strong and was in vogue last year.

Is the weakness the draw play?  with every run defender on the line, aren't you asking for trouble when a dropper keys pass and has to drop so much further than he would from 4-6 yards off the LOS?

They still had an ILB behind in these scenarios. It was often the 3 OLBs + burks/Ramsay and 2 DL up on the line.

I came across this article about the Packers posted by the Seattle Times:

Link

I found it an interesting read, but that the Times and published the story is what I find most compelling. It's rare to see these things coming out of the seahawk home publication. Having written that, there are many thousands of Packer fans here in the Pacific Northwest so there's plenty of clicks to be had.