Mock Draft/Off-season Thread

OhioG

I am have having great difficulty using Quotes on this site as well as getting the site I want, anybody else having difficulties????

Anyway I looked at Mind Character's post as to our roster and I just do not think he understands how much FA's will avoid Cleveland as a team they wish to play for. With Haslam as our powner, we are the laughing stock of pro football and FA's will avoid us like the plague, unless we offer them a ridiculous amount of money and years to come here. Who in their right mind would want to play for a HC that just went 0-16 = nobody.

I saw that someone wanted McGlinchey as a trade up 1st rounder. While I like the idea of getting a replacement for Thomas should he retire, or not completely heal from his injury or just slip quite a bit due to age, McGlinchey worries the hell out of me. It is my experience that when you have a stud on a college OL or DL, the players who play beside him, can look a lot better than they turn out to be as pros and with Nelson playing on the same OL with McGlinchey, I have to wonder if he is as good as advertised???

As I have mentioned before, I have been a draftnik for around 65 years and this fact I have seen many times in following the draft, so IMO, McClinchey is a prospect to be avoided!

So looking at a lot of scouting reports and looking at our needs.  I honestly don't see Cousins signing with us as he can land in a very nice spot in Minnesota.  With the cash we have to spend here is what I see.

Tre Boston

Jarvis Landry

Malcomb Butler/Trumaine Johnson

Terrell Pryor

Vet QB...Josh McCown or someone along those lines

Now on to the draft where this is going to be something we can truly build off of.

#1  Sam Darnold

NY Giants - Josh Rosen

Colts - Barkley/Chubb

1B is traded to the Jets for their #6 and #72 and next years 1st and 4th.  It is high but they have to jump Denver and they pick Baker Mayfield

Denver takes Josh Allen

#6 we take Minkah Fitzpatrick

#14 we trade up to 14 with the Pack and give up #33, 64, 72, and 193 and take Denzel Ward

#30 we take up again, give up #35 and #97 and take Derrius Guice.

What is left we just go BPA

Next year we are sitting there with 2 1st rounders with ammo to move wherever we need to go.

16 minutes ago, Wolfhunt said:

So looking at a lot of scouting reports and looking at our needs.  I honestly don't see Cousins signing with us as he can land in a very nice spot in Minnesota.  With the cash we have to spend here is what I see.

Tre Boston

Jarvis Landry

Malcomb Butler/Trumaine Johnson

Terrell Pryor

Vet QB...Josh McCown or someone along those lines

Now on to the draft where this is going to be something we can truly build off of.

#1  Sam Darnold

NY Giants - Josh Rosen

Colts - Barkley/Chubb

1B is traded to the Jets for their #6 and #72 and next years 1st and 4th.  It is high but they have to jump Denver and they pick Baker Mayfield

Denver takes Josh Allen

#14 we trade up to 14 with the Pack and give up #33, 64, 72, and 193 and take Denzel Ward

Next year we are sitting there with 2 1st rounders with ammo to move wherever we need to go.

You realize that according to the Trade Chart, to move from #4 to #6 only requires a 3rd rounder and even if they pay a premium, it will only be a 2nd instead of a 3rd!!!

I also believe, Cousins will likely sign with Denver not Minny, but you never know.

Peppers best position by far is SS and that is also Fitzpatrick's best position, so I doubt we are interested.

Teams that stink, rarely give up assets to move up, the more picks you have, the better your chances of striking it rich, only teams that are close to a championship will trade up for that one more piece which might get them there. The only exception is trading up for a QB, weak teams desperate for a QB, will move up to get one and give up assets as required.

2 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Trumaine Johnson was one of the top rated CB's in press man coverage. That's an area that we had no strength in last year. All our corners are not press corners.

There's some stuff to like about Hyde. For a big RB he can catch. He scores touchdowns, having 17 the last two seasons. We thought our offense was bad, think of how bad San Francisco's offense has been the last two seasons, pre-Jimmy G anyways. 

Strong at man doesnt override weakness in zone, especially when we run zone often. That would only flip the problem from our CBs who are weak at man and strong in zone. With Gregg liking to play both, we need corners apt with both. And if your solution is substitution they will implement no-huddle on us all day.

Plus, Trumaine is leaning toward 30, just had a subpar season on a defense that provides QB pressure, and will demand a boatload of money. For a boatload, sign Fuller; hes 2 years younger and hadda good year.

Keep in mind, Scotty Mac drafted Kyle Fullers brother, Kendall, in DC. He already knows the family and has a connection there.

18 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Strong at man doesnt override weakness in zone, especially when we run zone often. That would only flip the problem from our CBs who are weak at man and strong in zone. With Gregg liking to play both, we need corners apt with both. And if your solution is substitution they will implement no-huddle on us all day.

Plus, Trumaine is leaning toward 30, just had a subpar season on a defense that provides QB pressure, and will demand a boatload of money. For a boatload, sign Fuller; hes 2 years younger and hadda good year.

Keep in mind, Scotty Mac drafted Kyle Fullers brother, Kendall, in DC. He already knows the family and has a connection there.

So, my FA strategy for us would be: sign Fuller(Scotty Mac drafted his brother) Malcolm Butler(he is still boys with Jamie Collins and definitely aint going back to NE) and Jarvis Landry(he wants to be highest paid WR, frontload the money and give it to him).

As Ive said before, FS in our D is NOT meant for a playmaker, but for a fast, sure-tackling safety net, similar to how FS Ryan Clark was the safety-net for Troy Polamalus playmaking risks. Clark wasnt a playmaker, he was ole reliable - and by design.

Greggs D uses his safeties the same way, thus why Peppers was lined up 300 yards back, working as the safety net(even though every fan knew Peppers shoulda been used as the playmaking SS)  

This again explains my point that Minkah at FS in our system would be a waste. If he is there, and God I hope so, draft Chubb and get our bookend passrushers. He and Ogbah could both rush from the interior to utilize both DEs.

Id also consider drafting Andrew Brown from Virginia in the 2nd to be the 3tech...super untouched potential shown at the Senior bowl when he didnt hafta 2gap like college and got to 1gap attack.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I saw that someone wanted McGlinchey as a trade up 1st rounder. While I like the idea of getting a replacement for Thomas should he retire, or not completely heal from his injury or just slip quite a bit due to age, McGlinchey worries the hell out of me. It is my experience that when you have a stud on a college OL or DL, the players who play beside him, can look a lot better than they turn out to be as pros and with Nelson playing on the same OL with McGlinchey, I have to wonder if he is as good as advertised???

As I have mentioned before, I have been a draftnik for around 65 years and this fact I have seen many times in following the draft, so IMO, McClinchey is a prospect to be avoided!

Mike McGlinchey started 13 games at RT in 2015 without Nelson by his side and he out played Ronnie Stanley who went 6th overall. Many people were predicting McGlinchey to be a Top 5 pick. With Ronnie Stanley's departure McGlinchey then took over the blindside duties beside Quenton Nelson and he took a step back in his progress. Quenton Nelson had the luxury or playing the same position all 3 years and next to Stanley and McGlinchey his entire career. As freshman McGlinchey drew playing time in all 12 games including a start while Nelson wasn't good enough to get out of scout team only duties. If anything Quenton Nelson has looked better because of the talent he has been able to play next to not the other way around. 

Either way you want to look at it you have to evaluate both players independently first and foremost. I believe both guys are stone cold locks to be studs in the NFL run game. I have seen minor flaws that could lead to pass protection from each guy but again I believe they are minor and both guys could really flourish there as well. A lot of McGlinchey's critics are judging him on his poor performance against Bradley Chubb last season but they all fail to mention the monsoon he was playing in. For the same reason's DBs are at a disadvantage in sloppy conditions like that so are offensive lineman especially when you are left on an island as McGlinchey was last year in that game. 

McGlinchey is not a flawless prospect otherwise he would be a Top 3-5 lock, but he is extremely underrated at this point. I'd rank him right up there with Jack Conklin and Ronnie Stanley who went 6th and 8th overall two years ago and he is certainly superior to Garrett Bolles and Ryan Ramczyk from last draft. 

I highly doubt you have to worry about him as a Brown though because I think he goes in the 7-15 range which is way to high for a trade up.

11 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

we ran zone often because we didn't have personnel to run man. I'm fine with either or both of Johnson or Fuller. they would be big upgrades defensively and paired with McCourty could really thrive. 

Something to consider with our secondary. Body-Calhoun was brought in as a safety originally, who transitioned to corner/nickel corner due to need. If we strengthen our corners, could he be the guy to slide into the FS position? 

18 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

we ran zone often because we didn't have personnel to run man.

Unless Trumaine Johnson can't play man, this isn't the case. It's what Williams said, but he was following the Hue school of "throw anyone under the bus but me." Someone looked at zone/man % his last two years in STL and the year here and they were all pretty much the same.

That said, I like both of those guys as CB upgrades.

13 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

You realize that according to the Trade Chart, to move from #4 to #6 only requires a 3rd rounder and even if they pay a premium, it will only be a 2nd instead of a 3rd!!!

I also believe, Cousins will likely sign with Denver not Minny, but you never know.

Peppers best position by far is SS and that is also Fitzpatrick's best position, so I doubt we are interested.

Teams that stink, rarely give up assets to move up, the more picks you have, the better your chances of striking it rich, only teams that are close to a championship will trade up for that one more piece which might get them there. The only exception is trading up for a QB, weak teams desperate for a QB, will move up to get one and give up assets as required.

I do realize that but this is going to be a bidding war between the Jets and Broncos.  This is why I expect the price to go up and with Baker Mayfield as the prize and the runner up prize being Josh Allen.

14 hours ago, Wolfhunt said:

#1  Sam Darnold

NY Giants - Josh Rosen

Colts - Barkley/Chubb

Denver takes Josh Allen

I'd love the result of this 1st round, although I don't think we need to trade back up to get Guice. Either he's there for us at 35, or we can take another RB in that slot or later - Dorsey has a good track record of finding RB gems outside of the 1st round.

6 hours ago, dawgdish said:

I'd love the result of this 1st round, although I don't think we need to trade back up to get Guice. Either he's there for us at 35, or we can take another RB in that slot or later - Dorsey has a good track record of finding RB gems outside of the 1st round.

The one reason I traded back up in the 1st was for that 5th year option.  

7 hours ago, Wolfhunt said:

I do realize that but this is going to be a bidding war between the Jets and Broncos.  This is why I expect the price to go up and with Baker Mayfield as the prize and the runner up prize being Josh Allen.

I do not think either Mayfield or Allen is ranked high enough to go as high as #6 even if a team is QB desperate. They both look like 11-15 type picks to me and nobody is going to sell the house for the 3rd or 4th QB in the draft. Never going to happen!!!

Archived