Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm looking for a functional strength program. I don't have much for weights available, though. I've just been working on pushups and  other bodyweight moves. Any recommendations?

Keep doing them.

Pushups, pull-ups, chin-ups, squats, lunges, hanging leg raises, calf raises, crunches, etc can be a hell of a workout.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Keep doing them.

Pushups, pull-ups, chin-ups, squats, lunges, hanging leg raises, calf raises, crunches, etc can be a hell of a workout.

Exactly. You might take a bit longer to gain as much muscle, but with variables like tempo, body positioning, additional weights of any type, etc you can still create the need for the body to adapt.

@MOSteelers56 If you really just want some workout ideas, look up Athlean X on YouTube. He has some bodyweight videos and from what I have seen, they are pretty damn good.

Edited by Sugashane
Spelling woes...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Exactly. You might take a bit longer to gain as much muscle, but with variables like tempo, body positioning, additional weights of any type, etc you can still create the need for the body to adapt.

@MOSteelers56 If you really just want some workout ideas, look up Athlean X on YouTube. He has some bodyweight videos and from what I have seen, they are pretty damn good.

Athlean X has some pretty decent content.  He’s a good resource imo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I used to watch a lot of Athlean X videos when I was still working out. he has very interesting takes on things. I incorporated a lot of his stuff in my routines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Athlean X has some pretty decent content.  He’s a good resource imo.

I watched a couple of his, I like these two guys on youtube as well:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GravityTrainingSol

https://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts

I like the Gravity Training guy videos more than the sixpackabs guy, but I do pick up some good diet/nutrition tips from the sixpackabs guy (He got me into Apple Cider Vinegar as well as Grass fed whey protein isolate)...

3 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I watched a couple of his, I like these two guys on youtube as well:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GravityTrainingSol

https://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts

I like the Gravity Training guy videos more than the sixpackabs guy, but I do pick up some good diet/nutrition tips from the sixpackabs guy (He got me into Apple Cider Vinegar as well as Grass fed whey protein isolate)...

The six pack abs guy is Thomas DeLauer and he has another channel as well that focuses on keto and fasting.  TONS of info there.

Make no mistake though, ole boy is on some gear.

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The six pack abs guy is Thomas DeLauer and he has another channel as well that focuses on keto and fasting.  TONS of info there.

Make no mistake though, ole boy is on some gear.

The reason I like the gravity training guy more is that it's a bit more realistic to follow his advice.  Thomas DeLauer is great but some of his tips I'm just not ever going to be dedicated enough to follow.  I'll give a specific example.  Both had videos on what to eat after fasting, and the Gravity Training guy talks about just slowly introducing foods back in after and it's pretty straight forward.  Thomas DeLauer is talking about his 'Golden Milk" recipe with: Cannellini Beans, Nutritional Yeast, Turmeric, Sunflower vs. Cashew Butter, Almond Milk, Ice, Stevia, and Pea Protein.

So I recommend both guys, but I tend to follow the advice more from the Gravity Training guy...

3 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

The reason I like the gravity training guy more is that it's a bit more realistic to follow his advice.  Thomas DeLauer is great but some of his tips I'm just not ever going to be dedicated enough to follow.  I'll give a specific example.  Both had videos on what to eat after fasting, and the Gravity Training guy talks about just slowly introducing foods back in after and it's pretty straight forward.  Thomas DeLauer is talking about his 'Golden Milk" recipe with: Cannellini Beans, Nutritional Yeast, Turmeric, Sunflower vs. Cashew Butter, Almond Milk, Ice, Stevia, and Pea Protein.

So I recommend both guys, but I tend to follow the advice more from the Gravity Training guy...

I get what you mean. DeLauer has good info, but I’m not that committed lol.

I love that he has the scientific data and research too, but sometimes I’m just like get to the point, I’ll take your word for it, I don’t need to understand why on a cellular and chemical level.

I posted in the runner thread but I'll post in this one too since fitness and running are similar maybe. Ran my first ever half marathon yesterday with a time of 1:54:43. Fun to think about where I came from and where I am now, except I still like to eat everything. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 9:25 PM, skywindO2 said:

I posted in the runner thread but I'll post in this one too since fitness and running are similar maybe. Ran my first ever half marathon yesterday with a time of 1:54:43. Fun to think about where I came from and where I am now, except I still like to eat everything. 

yeah, you used to be old with a big beard, and now you look pretty damn buff!

• Like 1