Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

I think we are underestimating the value of A. winning a superbowl in the next 2 years and B. the value of the LA market. If we win a superbowl this year or next, veteran FA's will come cheaper to ride the wave of success. Also, if we win a superbowl in the next two years, the city of LA will become a football town (especially with Lakers on a slide until Lebron and PG3 sign next year). Endorsement deals, movie roles, "building your brand" will become financial options for players like Goff, Gurley, and especially ODB. That can make up for not receiving the highest possible contract vs. playing in Cincinnati for top dollar. I also trust McVay and Snead implicitly. If Snead can maneuver contracts to include large signing bonuses or prorate contracts to fit us under the cap, I trust they can do it and still form a complete 53 man roster. How well we hit/develop 3-7th round picks will be very telling if this approach can be sustained. I trust Wade to develop ILB's from the 4th round on as he has done in the past.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

B. the value of the LA market.

This is a myth and has been for years. Especially the NFL, its not only a National, but International league. Guys get endorsement deals everywhere.

It USED TO be a thing in the NBA, but never has in the NFL (even for NYC or Miami) 

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is a myth and has been for years. Especially the NFL, its not only a National, but International league. Guys get endorsement deals everywhere.

It USED TO be a thing in the NBA, but never has in the NFL (even for NYC or Miami) 

-It still is in the NBA with the exception of Lebron James. He is the exception, not the rule.

-Aaron Rodgers and Cam are also the exceptions, not the rule. Drew Brees (NOLA), Tom BRady (New England), JJ Watt (Hou) i would say are the biggest stars of the NFL arguably and those are all large media markets. NYC is definitely true because even when the giants are going 2-14 ODB and Eli are all over commercials. LA is just re-establishing itself as a  football media market, but with WINNING it will come and be huge for guys like Goff, Gurley (Hardees/Carls Jr commercials already), and without a doubt ODB ( head and shoulders). Donald I don't think would be affected as much; just not his personality. LA loves stars and winners. Hell even McVay just made it on TMZ the other day. LA is more attractive to players geographically and to win now. Let's embrace it and use it to position ourselves to land players.

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

LA is more attractive to players geographically and to win now.

Those are two completely different things than what you were talking about. LA holds nearly no more commercial appeal than anywhere else. Its not 1985 anymore, stars make their money wherever they are.

Now if you want to say we are a contender so we are more attractvie, then yes, but that has nothing to do with LA.

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Those are two completely different things than what you were talking about. LA holds nearly no more commercial appeal than anywhere else. Its not 1985 anymore, stars make their money wherever they are.

Now if you want to say we are a contender so we are more attractvie, then yes, but that has nothing to do with LA.

sorry let me make my stance more clear.LA holds more commercial appeal than a majority of cities. Maybe NYC being the only contender. The Giants and Jets can suck and still have players getting commercial deals and sponsorships. Eli goes 2-14 and he's doing DirectTv commercials. ODB goes 2-14 and he's the new Head and Shoulders guy. ESPN is constantly pumping the Giants/Jets even when they're trash because it goes out to a wider audience. LA as a football media market has not arrived yet, i will concede that, but it is growing. Once we start winning and show our players have personalities, they will begin to get attractive deals outside of football. Gurley had Hardees/Carls Jr his first year in LA when we sucked, why do you think that was? Cause he won Rookie of the Year? Or cause he became the face of LA when we moved here? ODB in LA would be huge for him. Same for Goff. He already got a car sponsorship deal, but I forget exactly with who. I simply disagree that the media market of LA is a "myth" to athletes looking to improve their brand or can hold the same amount of financial returns as being successful in Buffalo, Jacksonville, or a Cincinnati

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

While I agree, it's the LA lifestyle. Not necessarily about endorsements. 

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I think we are underestimating the value of A. winning a superbowl in the next 2 years and B. the value of the LA market. If we win a superbowl this year or next, veteran FA's will come cheaper to ride the wave of success. Also, if we win a superbowl in the next two years, the city of LA will become a football town (especially with Lakers on a slide until Lebron and PG3 sign next year). Endorsement deals, movie roles, "building your brand" will become financial options for players like Goff, Gurley, and especially ODB. That can make up for not receiving the highest possible contract vs. playing in Cincinnati for top dollar. I also trust McVay and Snead implicitly. If Snead can maneuver contracts to include large signing bonuses or prorate contracts to fit us under the cap, I trust they can do it and still form a complete 53 man roster. How well we hit/develop 3-7th round picks will be very telling if this approach can be sustained. I trust Wade to develop ILB's from the 4th round on as he has done in the past.

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself and underestimating how difficult it is to win a Superbowl. Yes, this is the most talented this team has looked in about 15 years and I have an immense amount of confidence in McVay, but let's be real here...Last season was our first winning season in forever. While we may look like the best bet to make the SB on paper (which, we certainly are up there), its still an incredibly difficult task to achieve. We're talking about a very young HC who's only going to be in his second year. As great as we were this past season during the regular season, we came out flat in the playoffs--which is really my biggest point. The playoffs are a totally different beast. Sure, maybe we just had the jitters being there for the first time in a long time, but we don't know if we've got a team that stalls out once the post season hits. Now I'm obviously certainly hoping that the latter is not the case, but what I'm saying is that we really don't know one way or the other at this point. As it stands now, we've got a great chance at becoming champions, and adding OBJ's talent would help the case, but it's not a foregone conclusion one way or the other.

34 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself and underestimating how difficult it is to win a Superbowl. Yes, this is the most talented this team has looked in about 15 years and I have an immense amount of confidence in McVay, but let's be real here...Last season was our first winning season in forever. While we may look like the best bet to make the SB on paper (which, we certainly are up there), its still an incredibly difficult task to achieve. We're talking about a very young HC who's only going to be in his second year. As great as we were this past season during the regular season, we came out flat in the playoffs--which is really my biggest point. The playoffs are a totally different beast. Sure, maybe we just had the jitters being there for the first time in a long time, but we don't know if we've got a team that stalls out once the post season hits. Now I'm obviously certainly hoping that the latter is not the case, but what I'm saying is that we really don't know one way or the other at this point. As it stands now, we've got a great chance at becoming champions, and adding OBJ's talent would help the case, but it's not a foregone conclusion one way or the other.

Oh I didn't want it to come off like I thought it was a foregone conclusion. It definitely isn't considering how stacked the NFC is. I was simply saying that if we won a superbowl, it would aid us in signing veteran FA's at a cheaper price, thus allowing us to pay our premiere players near top dollar n still stay under the cap.

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

I get wanting to trust Snead/Mcvay. I'll back pretty much whatever they do at this point, even if this happens and I'm not a fan initially. But you said it yourself, we have no idea if Snead wanted OBJ. We also have no idea on the long term plans. Odds are they have a plan for Donald and Goff, but what if OBJ and his insane contract cost us to lose Gurley when he hits FA with Bell possibly setting a new trend for RB? Let's say we keep Gurley too, Peters and/or Joyner would be gone. It's impossible to keep them all long term, and I would rather have everyone I mentioned relative to their cost over OBJ, who has had his share of injuries as well as on and off the field issues.

I just don't want to mortgage the future, both compensation and cap wise for someone who is throwing temper tantrums on the sideline and charging head first into a defenders helmet after the play was over. If he is past that kind of behavior, then sure, but it doesn't seem like he is.

I'd add on.  Look, I get it, it's OBJ - a top 5 receiver in his prime - but isn't the point of McVay's scheme that it doesn't really require an out-and-out WR1 because it spreads the ball around so much.  Yes, it's a Gruden brand West Coast Offense, but we've seen a lot of tendencies, route-combinations, and play-calls that hark to (don't crucify me on this) McDaniels' scheme in New England and I've also seen some instances of use of the K-Gun offense that Buffalo ran during their hey-day under Marv Levy.  Does that mean that if you can get an out-and-out WR1 you shouldn't?  No, I don't believe that's the case, but it does mean that you evaluate the necessity to have one such - and thus how much you really need to prioritize your investments into it - a little differently.

Now look, if we wash personalities aside and assume that every player becomes the best model teammate they can, if OBJ can be acquired for only #23 and around $17-18M/yr - and that doesn't delay Donald getting his or aggravate him at not having gotten his first - and that ends up costing us the ability to re-sign Peters down the line, I'm actually fine with that.  Corners aren't irreplaceable in Wade's scheme and while Peters is a fantastic fit I have more confidence in OBJ on pure talent to sustain consistency at Top 3-5 at his position over the term of his contract than I do Peters (I expect, at some point, there will be some status regression out of Peters, but that's also my assessment of the league-wide talent pool he's up against).  And even in a retrospective analysis, a Mid-20's 1st round pick, a 4th, and a future 2nd for OBJ in his prime and a 6th isn't a terrible deal.  It's a trade-off I don't mind making.

I just don't see much of a reality where we're able to carry OBJ on excess of $17M/yr, Donald on $20M/yr, and be able to work in all of Gurley, Peters, and Joyner on Top-2-positional contracts without having to depend on a cap-model built around constant restructuring and pushing salary down the road in the form of bonus-conversions that they can prorate and delay having to account for that have gotten the Jets, Titans, and several others in trouble in the past.

I can’t speak on the LA market but in terms of hitting on 3rd round picks or later, the Rams have done a great job with Snead in doing so. Does guys like Kupp, Tru, Zeurlein, Johnson III, Hekker, Westbrooks, Cooper, Reynolds all ring a bell? And I’m missing more that succeed under Snead as a 3rd round pick or later in the draft.

Giving up at least two 1st round picks (although they will be late picks) plus making OBJ the highest paid WR in the NFL sounds crazy but if that’s what Kroenke, Snead, and McVay decides to do then I’m all for it. Kroenke has deep pockets, Snead was here when OBJ was in the draft class and you have to think Snead had OBJ high on his board, possibly higher than Donald, and McVay is familiar with OBJ from being in the NFCE all those seasons. So I’d be down if management want to go down that road.

In other, non-free-agent, non-draft related stuffs...

WE MAKING HISTORY!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767126-la-rams-become-1st-team-in-nfl-history-to-hire-male-cheerleaders?share=facebook

No, this isn't going to mean men in skirts.  But as someone whose best friend in HS was a "Varsity Stuntman" (yes, that's what they called the male cheerleaders and that's what was embroidered on their letterman's jackets) I can help but smile a bit at this.  Now I just have to convince my friend Nick, who can still tumble like a boss and do standing backflips, to go live the dream!

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

In other, non-free-agent, non-draft related stuffs...

WE MAKING HISTORY!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767126-la-rams-become-1st-team-in-nfl-history-to-hire-male-cheerleaders?share=facebook

No, this isn't going to mean men in skirts.  But as someone whose best friend in HS was a "Varsity Stuntman" (yes, that's what they called the male cheerleaders and that's what was embroidered on their letterman's jackets) I can help but smile a bit at this.  Now I just have to convince my friend Nick, who can still tumble like a boss and do standing backflips, to go live the dream!

Holy flame balls, Batman!

.....that or this "dude" is a smart man now that guys can go in girls locker rooms as long as they identify as such. Lol

2 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

Holy flame balls, Batman!

.....that or this "dude" is a smart man now that guys can go in girls locker rooms as long as they identify as such. Lol

You're not funny even if you think you are and you're treading a fine line near breaking site rules.  So cut it out.

Your act is growing old around here (and I know I'm not just speaking for myself).

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

You're not funny even if you think you are and you're treading a fine line near breaking site rules.  So cut it out.

Your act is growing old around here (and I know I'm not just speaking for myself).

Where EXACTLY am I doing this? My "act" for not having the same opinions as YOU? Me, for making BOLd predictions and claims? You're waaaaaay to sensitive and read into things too far. I said it was a smart move by the dude. Take it however you want ....its not breaking rules. You just have a bias

Archived