GWT: Week 19 Titans @ Patriots

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Titans @ Patriots   

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

2 hours ago, bzane said:

Well, if anyone is truly upset, here's a plug for the law firm of which I am CEO: Vendtt, Wein, Bates, and Mohn- When you feel offended, make sure you're defended! Cyberspace trolling and salty remarks are our specialty.

That being said, I must confess that, as a Giants' fan, I was so sure that Tom Brady and the Patriots would crush them in both of the Super Bowls they played that I watched neither game (Wimping Out is a legal strategy we sometimes recommend to clients), and was shocked both times at the outcome. Even with that, I never rule out the Patriots any given year, so dominant has New England been, and so seamlessly do they change personnel and continue to remain a top contender every year. 

One personal nod to their fans: I took my wife to the Berkshires for a weekend this October to see the fall foliage; stupidly I wore a knit New York Giants hat into the wilds of Massachusetts and Patriot Country. It only occurred to me once we were there that this might be a red flag of sorts to rabid Patriot fans. But the reality is, while I was repeatedly noticed, and got some looks as though I had stepped off a space ship, everyone was good-humored and nice about it. - I suppose winning so many years makes one magnanimous.

I mean, it is only a game, isn't it. If the players are friends in real life (which most of them are, by the looks of it) how pathetic does it look when fans fight with one-and-other? Maybe it's just me, but I'd admire the stones of you waltzing around NE with a NYG top. You'd get a nod from me. I probably wouldn't wear a Pats jersey in NYC through fear, tbh lol. (Plus fashion, y'know...;) ) 

8 hours ago, lancerman said:

Though I would take some exception to the last part. Only one Patriot team was as good as the 2007 team. The 2004 team. And that's a maybe. So 4 of the 5 Super Bowl team's would fall in the "not as good as the teams that didn't win between 2004-2014". This team and last years team are still leagues better than the 2006, 2008 (when you factor Brady out), 2008, 2011-2013 teams. They just don't get a lot of credit because they succeed in the metrics that matter but lack in some that don't. This years and last years defense were slept on a lot because of DVOA and yardage. After week 4 where they admittedly had a poor start, they have held teams to 17 points or less in 11 out of the last 13 games. Also this Patriots offense is tied for 2 in ppg along with Philly (and the number 1 Rams were taken out of the playoffs). So They are top 2 in ppg on offense and 5 on defense. Basically the only team with that strong of a balance on both sides of the ball is Philly who lost their starting QB. The Vikings are 1 in ppg on defense but are 10 for ppg on offense. 

So really they are the overall most balanced team along with Philly this year. 

It's just all relative. 

I agree it's all relative, my contention is just that the Patriots aren't any better in an 'absolute' sense than 5 years ago, but they are relatively better - sure to win a ring - because the competition has gone down while they have stayed about the same.

I admit I'm not an expert in the modern stats, but i plucked one of those 2004 - 2014 years out of a bin, 2012. That year, the Patriots had a 14 point spread, they scored 34 PPG and gave up 20 PPG. This year, they spread is about 10 points, 28 PPG scored, 18 PPG given up. 

Why will this year's team cruise to another ring, maybe even dominate a Super Bowl for the first time ever? As you mentioned, there is no Baltimore with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed waiting for them next week like there was that year.

10 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Fine, but is there any need to come on online and spout the drivel, clogging up the forum? Most people are here for intelligent football discussions, not "I wish he broke Solder's nose". Not sure how you can defend such vitriol under the guidance of "your team is hated". Which is also pathetic, by the way. 

Just ignore it lol.  I have found that it's not that hard to do.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I mean, it is only a game, isn't it. If the players are friends in real life (which most of them are, by the looks of it) how pathetic does it look when fans fight with one-and-other? Maybe it's just me, but I'd admire the stones of you waltzing around NE with a NYG top. You'd get a nod from me. I probably wouldn't wear a Pats jersey in NYC through fear, tbh lol. (Plus fashion, y'know...;) ) 

There are a solid amount of NYG fans up here in New England. My late grandfather was a diehard fan because back in ye olden times, the Giants were what you got on TV every week. My uncle followed in grandfather's footsteps and then brainwashed his own kids into loving them. ;) There's also an alarming number of Yankees fans around who boldly wear their apparel in public, fly their flag in their yards and slather their vehicles in NYY crap. War hasn't broken out thus far, though there has been decades of good natured ribbing between opposing factions.

I'm just a newb here, but I was kind of surprised at some of the thread content. I like Mariota a lot, and even as a Pats fan, I found this game hard to watch. Don't get me wrong; if we were steamrolling Pittsburgh or Dallas, I would cherish every moment. The Titans are pretty inoffensive though and I'm a soft touch. I'm also deeply confused as to why the Titans HC never seems to adjust or go bold. 

1 hour ago, Quark3 said:

I agree it's all relative, my contention is just that the Patriots aren't any better in an 'absolute' sense than 5 years ago, but they are relatively better - sure to win a ring - because the competition has gone down while they have stayed about the same.

I admit I'm not an expert in the modern stats, but i plucked one of those 2004 - 2014 years out of a bin, 2012. That year, the Patriots had a 14 point spread, they scored 34 PPG and gave up 20 PPG. This year, they spread is about 10 points, 28 PPG scored, 18 PPG given up. 

Why will this year's team cruise to another ring, maybe even dominate a Super Bowl for the first time ever? As you mentioned, there is no Baltimore with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed waiting for them next week like there was that year.

Agreed but I think that has more to do with matchups than the absolute talent level of the teams, with one exception (Peyton).

The other great team in the AFC the last couple years just happens to be a team the Pats match up extremely well against.  The Steelers this year are better imo than most of those Flacco Lewis Ravens teams on paper but scare me a lot less coming into NE.

But obviously Peyton retiring has been huge. Instead of three guaranteed juggernauts in the AFC each year, there are two, and the other one is a team the Patriots match up well against.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Then don't be. Let's be honest here, almost every football fan is rooting against the Patriots. We want to see new blood. I'd love to see Jacksonville in the Super Bowl. Seeing the same teams over and over again gets tiresome. So when the game starts with the Titans surprising everyone by scoring first and the refs immediately making a bunch of bad calls that favor the Patriots, you're going to get a lot of annoyed people. When those calls result in a lopsided first half that could have been competitive without them, you're going to get a lot of disappointed people.

Your team isn't liked. When they're getting the benefit of bad refereeing, you'll hear about it. I guess that's the cross you have to bear. Well, you don't have to bear it. As I said, nobody forces you to come on here. If you want to stay, great! If you want to go, well, I understand. I've left forums where the overwhelming negativity ruined the experience.

Pretty much this. Emotions run high in playoff GDTs, and I have no misconceptions about how the Pats are viewed by most fans.

That's why I just try and roll with it and have some fun with it at this point. 

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I usually do, but most of this thread is full of it. I was scrolling through page after page of it in the middle there with ZERO football chat lol

Yep. Just give it back. Patriots have hindered and/or prevented the success of most NFL franchises over the last 20 years. Take heart in laughing at a GDT where a large chunk of posters are drowning in a vat of tears. It's hilarious.

47 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Having a second bye week was nice. 

And there are Titans fans under the impression they had a decent (never mind good) team, and seriously putting themselves above Jacksonville? Wow.

Well, we swept the Jaguars this year and looked pretty clearly like the superior team in both games. So...yes?

As for the rest. Whatever. Not going to bother with it. We both watched the first half and know exactly when the game swung.

When you’re maybe a slightly above average team, you need a few breaks to go your way to compete with arguably the best team in football that is headed up by the Best HC in NFL history.  When those breaks are artificially created for the already far superior team, a team without a great coaching staff will often fold. Which is what happened last night.

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Well, we swept the Jaguars this year and looked pretty clearly like the superior team in both games. So...yes?

As for the rest. Whatever. Not going to bother with it. We both watched the first half and know exactly when the game swung.

When you’re maybe a slightly above average team, you need a few breaks to go your way to compete with arguably the best team in football that is headed up by the Best HC in NFL history.  When those breaks are artificially created for the already far superior team, a team without a great coaching staff will often fold. Which is what happened last night.

You know that Jacksonville has a better record, won the division, and have a point differential that is over 200 points better than yours at this point?

1 minute ago, patriotsheatyan said:

You know that Jacksonville has a better record, won the division, and have a point differential that is over 200 points better than yours at this point?

Yes. Yes I do. But I prefer to use the 120 minutes of game time they were matched up against each other. I’m not saying that the Jags are an easier match up for most teams (they absolutely aren’t), but I’d take my chances against them after watching Bortles get absolutely shut down for seven of the eight quarters against a below average Titans secondary.

Archived