Dallas still running Romo offense

WizardHawk

43 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Romo's style of offense was such a good offense too. That system, with Romo, could take a mediocre player and turn them into a great WR like L.R. became.

But it isn't the style Dak can run.

Man he burnt out fast...

2 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

True...but when you see that things aren't working...wouldn't you make adjustments?

For sure, and I agree with that, I'm just saying I don't think it should come as that big of a surprise given Dak's success in year 1, and even the first half of year 2.

On 1/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, WizardHawk said:

I'd love someone to tell me what sort of BS this is?  Did they expect him to come back? What the hell did they (Garrett/Linehan) do from the point when they benched Romo to the point the 2017 season started.

This smells of inept, incompetent, garbage. 

The offense doesnt look the same. At all. So I dont know if I buy it. Romo never ran the ball, didnt run naked bootleg, no zone option. I feel like this is wrong. 

I hardly see any if the same pass plays for Dak that you see Romo use.  Zero back shoulder throws to Dez.  Zero deep middle routes to the WR.  The come back throws to the sidelines.     Some of the slants and the like to TWill or Dez are the same and Witten runs the same stuff.   But all the Beasley plays are different   As well as the pad read option plays already mentioned 

On 1/9/2018 at 9:27 PM, Matts4313 said:

The offense doesnt look the same. At all. So I dont know if I buy it. Romo never ran the ball, didnt run naked bootleg, no zone option. I feel like this is wrong. 

I'm sure there's some similarities on the basic route combos but it definitely feels like a cop out from the VP

Sure, SJ is making it up. Just because we threw in a read option wrinkle doesn't mean it's completely different. And no back shoulder fades? Are we not watching? We just aren't as good at them. Is there no deep middle routes or no deep middle throws? Because there's a difference. I guess we have all 22 to back this up? I'll trust what SJ says, and what my eyes tell me. It looks like Dak is struggling to run an offense that isn't built for him. Other than the occasional called QB run. It's the same old shotgun 11 RPO stuff we ran with Romo, Cassell, Weeden, and Moore. We just get to call the read option.

I actually think we protected him more his rookie year. Didn't really open up the offense until later. 

Let's be real. Prescott posted a 62.9 percent completion rate, a 22:13 touchdown-to-interception ratio and an 86.6 passer rating for a 9-7 squad that underperformed amid Super Bowl expectations. While those numbers are far from spectacular, they are better than production posted by Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, Marcus Mariota, Eli Manning and some other established passers.

That's why I completely understand Cowboys' executive vice president of personnel Stephen Jones' desire to rebuild the team's scheme around Prescott's game.

"Everybody here is all in in terms of their belief that Dak can be a great player in this league and will be," he said on 105.3 The Fan's Ben and Skin show (KRLD-FM). "How do we put concepts in place, how do we put a system in place that fits his skills? Obviously, it worked out great even though we were predominately running a [Tony] Romo-friendly offense with a few wrinkles that took advantage of Dak being young and fresh-legged and being able to have the mobility that he had.

Hmmmmm..... And there you have it.

This does make me optimistic that we will now change our philosophy to fit our roster. It's a crazy concept.

14 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Sure, SJ is making it up. Just because we threw in a read option wrinkle doesn't mean it's completely different. And no back shoulder fades? Are we not watching? We just aren't as good at them. Is there no deep middle routes or no deep middle throws? Because there's a difference. I guess we have all 22 to back this up? I'll trust what SJ says, and what my eyes tell me. It looks like Dak is struggling to run an offense that isn't built for him. Other than the occasional called QB run. It's the same old shotgun 11 RPO stuff we ran with Romo, Cassell, Weeden, and Moore. We just get to call the read option.

I actually think we protected him more his rookie year. Didn't really open up the offense until later. 

I agree with this. As it is with Dez, the offense is a "take what they give you" type offense. ID the coverage, including run keys, and check to the play that takes advantage of what is given to you. Obviously, they don't run this with the free reign they gave Romo as QB, but that is part of the problem.

Our coaches need to be more creative with actual offensive schemes, and plays. They need to take some of the pressure and overwhelming decision making away from our young QB. I think everyone needs to take a look at McVay... apparently he scripts the whole game. And with essentially the same pieces, he got way different results. 

Make the defense guess, instead of relying on Dak to guess. 

3 hours ago, 5x10 said:

So we going to run the read option now?

amd daks stats are right in line with Blake bortles last year

blake f'ing bortles

Hopefully we are just going to run Zeke now, and really work the play action game. Kinda like the first half of 2016, and the last 3\4 of 2014.  

No more shotgun 3 wide 75% of the time. I like Dak more than you, but he isn't Peyton. And that's not how he wins. He could be a bigger Russell Wilson though.

I think a lot of people are blowing Daks rookie numbers out of proportion. The hype for him was too real. People putting him in the top 10 as a rookie was ridiculous. I am definitely a Dak supporter and feel like his skill set can help us win games. We just didnt utilize his strengths this year. Everyone wants to throw Wentz numbers around and the greats but Dak simply isn’t that player atleast he isn’t yet. People compare the two when they don’t even play the same style. Dak can be very good however I believe he’s the player that needs a strong running game and talent around him to be successful. He can’t throw people open like we got use to with Romo. I also can see him being comparable to Wilson in terms of play style. He just needs help and a strong offensive scheme to hide his flaws until he can polish them. Protect him with talent on the field and design a scheme that has some vision and creativity in it. This year brought Dak down to earth and I feel like having a year like this will help him grow more so than his success did. He’s a worker and a leader and I’m sure he will come back stronger and better next year. Just need the people in control to help him out.

Archived