2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm going to guess a sense of maturity and a passion for football. You need reasons to grow up, I'm sure these are obvious for GMs in the interview process.

Question; if you pass on Key because the rumors scare you and you choose to be cautious in the first round AND he then becomes a star, are you smart for not taking a risk or stupid for passing in a star? 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Based on what they did in college, what made you think that Mathieu would turn it around and Randy Gregory wouldn't?  These players are coached through those interviews, and I'd venture a guess that their answers to those tough questions weren't all that different.  Mathieu ended up in an ideal situation with a "big brother" situation with Patrick Peterson. That's where you have to trust the guys that are around the player.  And that doesn't happen with that strong foundation.

When you meet a person face to face for an hour can you read them? Being in sales I guess it's something I have to possess but I imagine all good NFL GMs do too. Nothing made Gregory differ from Mathieu to me, but I would be my entire bank account if you sat them down as a GM there was a difference. I'm sure good GMs have questions that take kids out of their rehearsed comfort zones.

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable. I realize the risk involved in this, I just seem a lot more keen on the potential payoff than the rest of the forum. 

Probably a poor choice of words, but I struggle to see how the reward is worth the risk.  There's too much projection there, and it's honestly not much a different situation than Datone Jones for me.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

When you meet a person face to face for an hour can you read them? Being in sales I guess it's something I have to possess but I imagine all good NFL GMs do too. Nothing made Gregory differ from Mathieu to me, but I would be my entire bank account if you sat them down as a GM there was a difference. I'm sure good GMs have questions that take kids out of their rehearsed comfort zones.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.  These kids are being trained for the most important job interview of their lives.  If they can't answer those tough questions meant to take them out of their comfort zone and answer them the way they need to answer them then they should fire their agent.  I'd argue that the information you get from the coaching staff goes a LONG way more than what a player says during the interview.

Probably a poor choice of words, but I struggle to see how the reward is worth the risk.  There's too much projection there, and it's honestly not much a different situation than Datone Jones for me.

Depends on the round. To me, the first round is not a place for projections. 

10 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Question; if you pass on Key because the rumors scare you and you choose to be cautious in the first round AND he then becomes a star, are you smart for not taking a risk or stupid for passing in a star? 

It’s always harder to guess how a player like Key will work out in a city like Green Bay than it is for most markets. A guy with a hard drug problem here is something I personally want no part of. 

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

Depends on the round. To me, the first round is not a place for projections. 

That's kinda my point.  You have to weight it each round.  Is that gamble worth a 2nd round pick?  Depends on whose available.

Just now, CWood21 said:

That's kinda my point.  You have to weight it each round.  Is that gamble worth a 2nd round pick?  Depends on whose available.

This is where I grabbed him and the board fell pretty horrifically both rounds for me as well, which kind of amplified the shock value of all of this I feel. Lol

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.  These kids are being trained for the most important job interview of their lives.  If they can't answer those tough questions meant to take them out of their comfort zone and answer them the way they need to answer them then they should fire their agent.  I'd argue that the information you get from the coaching staff goes a LONG way more than what a player says during the interview.

I don't see why you're disagreeing with me, your point is valid too. So you don't think there's any way to discern as a GM whether you're looking at a Justin Houston/Mathieu/Peters/Hill type player vs a Gregory type? If that's the case then I do disagree. It's not a crapshoot, it's about how you can measure character. I'm not arguing that the interview is somehow the most important. All the resources they have at hand are important.

13 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

These kinds of things happen to all teams all the time for many different reasons. Injury history is another. 

You do your homework and research the best you can and make your decision and move forward. Some teams are more lenient than others. Just like when asking MM to second guess himself, its just not in their DNA to waste time on something you can't change. It's no different than you and I doing our jobs the best we can and then we go home. If someone asks us to analyze our day, we use our expertise to defend our decisions and move forward tomorrow. With something so complicated as the draft, you could paralyze yourself with the ifs and buts. I remember a story where TT would wait till the last possible moment to make his pick - I can understand the anxiety. But you move forward. It's all you can do

Edit: Real simple example. Eddie Lacy was taken off Pittsburgh's board for a foot issue. Obviously he was on our board.

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

It’s always hard to guess how a player like Key will work out in a city like Green Bay than it is for most markets. A guy with a hard drug problem here is something I personally want no part of. 

It was just a random question, not geared directly at Key. Something in me says no guys no glory another part of me says if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck etc. 

On Key, I never heard anything legitimate about a drug issue with him. Only vague rumors. I’ll admit no not researching it though. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't see why you're disagreeing with me, your point is valid too. So you don't think there's any way to discern as a GM whether you're looking at a Justin Houston/Mathieu/Peters/Hill type player vs a Gregory type? If that's the case then I do disagree. It's not a crapshoot, it's about how you can measure character. I'm not arguing that the interview is somehow the most important. All the resources they have at hand are important.

I'm just saying I don't think the interview is anything more than a formality.  There's no real detective work.

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

New name. Calvin Ridley... I know WR is deep and we can get a darn good one maybe even in the 4th or 5th round but dang. This guys runs the best routes I think I’ve ever seen from a college prospect. He’s ALWAYS open!

Quite a few different scenarios where I can see him being the pick and this is a rare instance where the first round WR rule doesn’t apply to me. Kid is exactly what we need next to Adams and a likely all pro here.

Archived