2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

37 minutes ago, craig said:

Heh heh, I remember, and that's partly why we should be so aware of how weak by comparison the WR/TE group is now.  And will only get weaker yet if significant talent isn't added.  Time hurries on.  Whatever Jordy/Cobb were before, whatever Aghelor was before, that's history.  What they are now and what they will be future, that's what matters.  

Based on what? 2017? So take a arbitrary sample of one season where Cobb worked with Hundley instead of Rodgers to make your opinion. Seems logical.

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I mean I know you're a Cobb lover from previous posts but the rest are just facts, not really opinion other than saying Jordy wasnt top 10. We picked up Jones off the street in 2015 and Rodgers made him the top TD receiver in football. Jennings got a big contract to leave GB while he still had plenty of juice left and fizzled out. Him and Rodgers were a dynamic duo in 2010 and 2011 until he had his injury. 

Im not saying the guys are bums but has playing with Aaron Rodgers lifted them up a half tier or so, i dont see how thats debatable. 

Jordy absolutely was a top 10 WR.

13 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I'm with @HorizontoZenith

Picking a WR in round one is insanity. We can find a good player in the later rounds. Maybe if your getting a Julio or a Megatron but Calvin Ridley is not that. 

A WR in round one is a week long trek away, from insanity. The Packers need to draft a starting level outside WR now, to (eventually) start opposite Adams. Draft one this year and it's probably two years before you see them fully coming into their own, so you have to plan ahead. It isn't often the Packers have a chance to draft the best WR on the board and they might have that opportunity this year. The rankings of WRs are fluid at the moment, but Washington, Sutton, Ridley, Tate, Kirk, Gallup, Miller, Ateman, all have some chance at being a first round pick.

Myself, I'd still prefer a pass rusher with the first pick, because I think the sweet spot for WRs might be round two (some of the above names may still be available then), but that does not make it insane to get a WR in one. Picking Vea in round one, now THAT is trekking back towards insanity, since the Packers have Daniels and Clark there with M.Adams positioned for a big year-two jump. The Packers should see what they have in Adams before spending another first on the DL. OLB, WR, CB, TE should be the priority picks, new blood at WR and TE should revitalise the offense, going forward.

I think we should follow the 09 draft blueprint and draft a Raji type like Vita Vea. At 6'5 350 the guy just collapses the pocket, we haven't had that since Raji left. People who think he's just a pure run stuffer haven't really watched his tape, dude can get after the QB at his size. I want a big Linval Joseph type anchoring the middle. Clark is good but doesn't have the girth to eat up blockers and gets worn down. Just imagine how great Clark and Daniels would be playing next to that monster, plus they would be able to use Mike more on passing downs and keep him fresh.  You take Vea at 14 and move back into the first and grab Key in the mid 20's like we did taking clay. With all the QB needy teams an edge should be there around the mid 20's. Vea and Key would be a dream day one.

I don't know - to me I don't think the Packers resign Burnett and if he's not then I would not in the least bit be surprised to see Derwin James as the pick. That kid is special. I know everyone wants Edge with Pick 1 but if the Packers can some how land Trent Murphy and then say Duke Ejiofor as an Edge in Round 2 then you're really looking at a revamped Defense already. I just don't agree with taking another big in Round 1 when Clark / Daniels are formidable enough on their own. There's just not enough snaps to go around to warrant such a pick. 

Also, huge fan of Auden Tate, WR as well. Think he could be really special in the right situation.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

I think we should follow the 09 draft blueprint and draft a Raji type like Vita Vea. At 6'5 350 the guy just collapses the pocket, we haven't had that since Raji left. People who think he's just a pure run stuffer haven't really watched his tape, dude can get after the QB at his size. I want a big Linval Joseph type anchoring the middle. Clark is good but doesn't have the girth to eat up blockers and gets worn down. Just imagine how great Clark and Daniels would be playing next to that monster, plus they would be able to use Mike more on passing downs and keep him fresh.  You take Vea at 14 and move back into the first and grab Key in the mid 20's like we did taking clay. With all the QB needy teams an edge should be there around the mid 20's. Vea and Key would be a dream day one.

Pettine says he plays base (I.E 3 down DL) less than 15% of snaps. You're drafting Vea to either replace a DL that graded out top 15 amongst lineman or you're drafting a top 15 guy to play 1st and 10 and 2-3rd and short. Unless Chubb, Davenport, Ward, Jackson and Edmunds are all gone by our pick and our choices are down to Smith, Vea and James, (and I take James there) I want nothing to do with Vea simply from a numbers standpoint.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Pettine says he plays base (I.E 3 down DL) less than 15% of snaps. You're drafting Vea to either replace a DL that graded out top 15 amongst lineman or you're drafting a top 15 guy to play 1st and 10 and 2-3rd and short. Unless Chubb, Davenport, Ward, Jackson and Edmunds are all gone by our pick and our choices are down to Smith, Vea and James, (and I take James there) I want nothing to do with Vea simply from a numbers standpoint.

#Logic.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hard to see a scenario where all those guys are gone by that pick. I like Edmunds but I think I'm taking James even over Edmunds 9 out of 10 times if we don't resign Burnett but I imagine in your scenario your putting Jones as the Burnett replacement? 

23 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Hard to see a scenario where all those guys are gone by that pick. I like Edmunds but I think I'm taking James even over Edmunds 9 out of 10 times if we don't resign Burnett but I imagine in your scenario your putting Jones as the Burnett replacement? 

I just love Edmunds. Think he could be special. 

20 hours ago, Leader said:

I don't really want Vea that early but if the rest of the top 3 picks fell like that I could get on board with it. 

"In McShay’s scenario, the Packers would be getting the sixth defensive player to come off the board and the fourth front-seven defender behind NC State defensive end Bradley Chubb (to the Colts at No. 3), Virginia Tech defensive end/outside linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (No. 10 to the Raiders) and Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith (No. 13 to the Redskins). In his first mock draft, McShay had the Packers taking Boston College outside linebacker Harold Landry. This time, he had Landry at No. 27 to the Saints."

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43650/kiper-and-mcshay-agree-for-now-marcus-davenport-to-packers-at-no-14

Heard a Wilde or Nagler podcast that they have a source saying the Packers are either not that high on Davenport, or think he will be over drafted, something along those lines, can't remember which. Of course, you always have the smokescreen angle too. Then you see that Dorsey basically kidnapped Davenport so no one could talk to him. I guess it's just another typical draft year !

Archived