2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Someone fill me in on Edmunds. Is he an inside ILB that can move to Edge or an ILB that can take some snaps at Edge ? What's his positional story ?

Versatile .. ILB on run downs, and moves to Edge on occasion on passing downs.  Great size, productive and young.  He'll still be 19 when he's drafted.  I think he could be utilized as mostly an edge with us .. he's got the skill set to be an ideal 3-4 OLB.

Here's NFL.com's take.  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/tremaine-edmunds?id=2560062

8 hours ago, St Vince said:

I think we should follow the 09 draft blueprint and draft a Raji type like Vita Vea. At 6'5 350 the guy just collapses the pocket, we haven't had that since Raji left. People who think he's just a pure run stuffer haven't really watched his tape, dude can get after the QB at his size. I want a big Linval Joseph type anchoring the middle. Clark is good but doesn't have the girth to eat up blockers and gets worn down. Just imagine how great Clark and Daniels would be playing next to that monster, plus they would be able to use Mike more on passing downs and keep him fresh.  You take Vea at 14 and move back into the first and grab Key in the mid 20's like we did taking clay. With all the QB needy teams an edge should be there around the mid 20's. Vea and Key would be a dream day one.

NT is not a problem for us. Clark is still very young and improving. He may very well give you what your looking for over the next several years. 

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I just love Edmunds. Think he could be special. 

As a what? I mean I love his athleticism it he scares me if you draft him and want to make him an OLB. Certainly has the tool set but may need a couple years to learn to be an EDGE. 14 is a high pick to use on a project. 

5 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

As a what? 

An athletic, premium sized defender who can be effective playing down hill or sideline to sideline, occasionally used as an EDGE player in pass situations or as a blitzer/stunt player. Also could be a matchup weapon against large, athletic TE's in the coverage game.

Position doesn't matter to me anymore, that's old NFL. His easiest comparison is obviously the Anthony Barr role as his size/athletic ability are similar.

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

An athletic, premium sized defender who can be effective playing down hill or sideline to sideline, occasionally used as an EDGE player in pass situations or as a blitzer/stunt player. Also could be a matchup weapon against large, athletic TE's in the coverage game.

Position doesn't matter to me anymore, that's old NFL. His easiest comparison is obviously the Anthony Barr role as his size/athletic ability are similar.

I think he'll be gone by 14. I've not seen him play a down of football - but he's certainly a good read.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I only ask because he plays ILB at VT. He doesn’t rush from the EDGE he occasionally blitzes from inside. I love his speed athleticism and ability to cover RB’s in the flat and assume he can run with most any TE. All that said we need to get to the QB. He certainly has the tools but do you see him being able to supplant Clay or Perry any time soon? As an EDGE he may take a couple years to be affective. 

If your happy with getting someone of Barr’s ability at 14 I’d be PO’s we have a guy that good now in Martinez. Now if you told me we were getting Jr Seau, I’m listening. 

I think he has tools to be a very good EDGE but it will take a couple years. Do you draft that guy at 14? 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I think he'll be gone by 14. I've not seen him play a down of football - but he's certainly a good read.

We’ll you should watch him before giving an opinion for sure. What you will see is a guy who may be just as athletic as Roquan Smith but 5-6” talker and 30-40# heavier. 

On 2/6/2018 at 11:22 AM, ArthurPensky said:

Draft twitter seems to fallen back in favor of Landry ( by my experience). If he does well at the combine, can he be taken at #14?

Absolutely.  It's not a real top-heavy class, but it's a solid one.

On 2/6/2018 at 1:07 PM, blueswedeshoes said:

Walter Football take on Calvin Ridley

Interesting. Adams is borderline beastly. A technician on the other side would be great. Does his game sound a bit like Greg Jennings'?

I mean, I'm not opposed to adding him I'm just not using the 14th pick on him and he's going to be gone before our 2nd round pick IMO.  It's a pretty weak WR class at the top, and he's probably the best of them.

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Pettine says he plays base (I.E 3 down DL) less than 15% of snaps. You're drafting Vea to either replace a DL that graded out top 15 amongst lineman or you're drafting a top 15 guy to play 1st and 10 and 2-3rd and short. Unless Chubb, Davenport, Ward, Jackson and Edmunds are all gone by our pick and our choices are down to Smith, Vea and James, (and I take James there) I want nothing to do with Vea simply from a numbers standpoint.

And that's assuming he's even worth that pick...

6 hours ago, cannondale said:

Heard a Wilde or Nagler podcast that they have a source saying the Packers are either not that high on Davenport, or think he will be over drafted, something along those lines, can't remember which. Of course, you always have the smokescreen angle too. Then you see that Dorsey basically kidnapped Davenport so no one could talk to him. I guess it's just another typical draft year !

Wouldn't surprise me. I just don't see Davenport being the guy the Packers prefer.  I think that's Landry.

56 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

We’ll you should watch him before giving an opinion for sure. What you will see is a guy who may be just as athletic as Roquan Smith but 5-6” talker and 30-40# heavier. 

Well actually, I didnt offer an opinion about him other than it appears he'll be taken before 14. Would Gute move up to snag him if deemed the BPA for us? I'd hope so. I'm looking for difference makers - perhaps an unrealistic goal - but my take is number 1's need to make a difference.

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

He's a good player that's for sure.  Honestly, I'm not sure I see the EDGE projection that others do.  Seems like a natural off-ball LB.

Archived