2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think that goes without saying, but it's a luxury.  Having an ILB who can run M2M with a WR isn't going to fix our defense, and I'd argue that it's a waste of resources.  And I like Edmunds.  I don't think he grades out higher than say Landry.  I've made my thoughts known that this class isn't very top heavy.

Edmunds does far more things that M2M coverage. He's a strong downhill LB, he plays extremely well sideline to sideline, he was a very effective blitzer, he has the H/W/S combo that could play into an effective EDGE rusher on pass obvious downs. He's in that top 7 for me, he's not in the clutter. It's like when you draft a baseball player with Edmunds, you have the player he is now and you have the projection of what he can become, if you grade him on what he is I agree he's a luxury. What he can become? Certainly would be something very nice for Pettine to have.

I get what both @CWood21 and @Packerraymond are saying.    It is one of the reasons why trying to add a EDGE rusher via trade or FA would open up some options to take a player at #14 that could be a difference maker regardless of position.   As it stands now, EDGE is just such a glaring need, that it feels like pick #14 almost has to be an EDGE.  

Yes EDGE rushers rarely hit FA and are often not available in trade, so filling other holes via trade and FA might free up GB to slide up or down a few spots to get better value in a player with that 1st round pick.

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Edmunds does far more things that M2M coverage. He's a strong downhill LB, he plays extremely well sideline to sideline, he was a very effective blitzer, he has the H/W/S combo that could play into an effective EDGE rusher on pass obvious downs. He's in that top 7 for me, he's not in the clutter. It's like when you draft a baseball player with Edmunds, you have the player he is now and you have the projection of what he can become, if you grade him on what he is I agree he's a luxury. What he can become? Certainly would be something very nice for Pettine to have.

You still have an answered where you plan on playing him. Are you playing him at edge or ILB?  

If you’re playing him at edge your drafting a player at number 14 to play a different position then he’s played the last three years in college, that’s a huge risk   

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

You still have an answered where you plan on playing him. Are you playing him at edge or ILB?  

If you’re playing him at edge your drafting a player at number 14 to play a different position then he’s played the last three years in college, that’s a huge risk   

I'm not limiting him to a position. I might play him at ILB on 1st down, move him out wide to cover a TE in M2M on 2nd down and then put him on the EDGE in our rush package on 3rd.

This whole "what position does X play?" line of thinking is dead in the NFL. What position does Morgan Burnett or Josh Jones play? What about Clay? Really it only applies to DL, boundary CBs and pure ILBs.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

He's a good prospect, but I think the love is starting to get out of hand.  I mean, there's a few people who are claiming he's a clear top 10 prospect.  Rewind a few months, and that would have been crazy talk.

When I started watching his 2017 tape, I was in on him with our 1st pick. I know @incognito_man was in on him pretty early too. Right now he's EDGE #2 for me. The combine can shuffle some things, but I don't think I can put him ahead of Chubb barring something completely crazy happening.

16 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

So basically the Edmunds argument at 14 is exactly what I argued for Jefferson for in the second round then. Alright. 

I would say Jefferson is a more mans Edmunds. Wouldn't have much of an issue with him depending on how our offseason goes to that point.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Yes and no. What do OC's work on all week ? Trying to get favorable match-ups. And they'll use packages, formations, shifts etc to get a WR lined up with an LB. It happens every Sunday in every game. So if you have an LB on the field who can "handle" that match-up occasionally, it wipes out the offensive strategy.

That may or may not be a luxury, but it sure would help vs the innovative OCs

I think you're missing my point.  If you're a DC, and you're planning on your LB playing M2M on a WR I think you've already lost.  It's fine in small bursts, but there is a reason why DBs are supposed to play against WRs.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not limiting him to a position. I might play him at ILB on 1st down, move him out wide to cover a TE in M2M on 2nd down and then put him on the EDGE in our rush package on 3rd.

This whole "what position does X play?" line of thinking is dead in the NFL. What position does Morgan Burnett or Josh Jones play? What about Clay? Really it only applies to DL, boundary CBs and pure ILBs.

I think your asked my a lot fo any player there much less a rookie. It also sounds crazy to me that you feel this kid can play ILB on first down, essentially safety covering a TE on second down then be a difference maker at EDGE on third down. Who in the NFL does that right now?

Hi also don’t think pigeon holing a player at a position is dead. Clay does move inside occasionally but it is to rush the passer from a different spot, not be an ILB. His time at ILB was a position switch and not the most successful.

EDGE is way more valuable than ILB so why didn’t they play Edmunds at EDGE at VT? I don’t know the answer there either. 

Hey, I love Edmunds too just feel like there is a lot of work to do to make him an affective EDGE. I also love what he could bring as a versatile player as well. IF you can somehow address the pass rush either in free agency or moving back into the later 1st and grabbing Davenport or Landry I’m all in. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think you're missing my point.  If you're a DC, and you're planning on your LB playing M2M on a WR I think you've already lost.  It's fine in small bursts, but there is a reason why DBs are supposed to play against WRs.

You're missing the point, I said a couple plays and Shanedorf said "occasionally." Where does that mean "planning on your LB playing M2M on a WR?"

That's like someone saying that the BJ Raji drop into coverage won us an NFCCG and we should call it again in games and responding "if you're planning on dropping your NT into coverage I think you've already lost."

It's a play or 2 here or there. If that blitz would let Damarious Randall come free on a blitz, the QB to not have his hot read open because Edmunds was athletic enough to cover him for that play and Randall gets home for a strip sack that could be a huge play in a close game. The more talent and versatility you have the more you can be exotic and less predictable.

PR nailed it

And the other scenario where it makes sense is vs the hurry up. Offenses get the defensive package " they like" on the field and then run no huddle to prevent any substitutions. That's the value of the hybrid guys on Sunday, they can handle a different role for a couple of plays and not kill your defense

3 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

What's everyone's thoughts about Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado? Haven't seen much on him around here. Seems to have some great ball skills, size, and returning ability. would be nice to somehow get him with the 2nd pick but might require a trade up.

He's good, but a little shy on the tackling.  I wouldn't trade up for him, there are quite a few CBs that could come in and contribute.  I like Holton Hill from Texas and JC Jackson from Maryland.  Both had off field issues, but I'm sick of drafting gentlemen.  We need a little nasty.

On the Davenport- Edmunds thing....they are BOTH projects.  You want help at EDGE now? Take Landry.  Would still rather see a 1st-2nd round combo of James and Mata'afa.

Archived