2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Lol, man I love Fanspeak, if only this draft came true...

14: R1P14
EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
UTSA
45: R2P13
CB CARLTON DAVIS
AUBURN
76: R3P12
LB LORENZO CARTER
GEORGIA
101: R4P1
WR DAESEAN HAMILTON
PENN STATE
133: R4P33
TE DALTON SCHULTZ
STANFORD
138: R5P1
NATRELL JAMERSON
WISCONSIN
172: R5P35
EDGE ADE ARUNA
TULANE
174: R5P37
WR DAURICE FOUNTAIN
NORTHERN IOWA
186: R6P12
OT COLE MADISON
WASHINGTON STATE
207: R6P33
CB TARON JOHNSON
WEBER STATE
232: R7P14
OT BRETT TOTH
ARMY
239: R7P21
DL JOHN ATKINS
GEORGIA

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Eh he refused to run a 40 at both Combine and Pro Day, couple that with his awful jumps, tells me he's neither explosive nor fast. Evans is a big no from me, I have a day 3 grade on him. Don't think he's athletic enough to play in the NFL. 

His no-go on the 40 was disappointing and jumps were ehh but he looked good in drills at the Combine and agility tests were decent. He's not an elite athlete like Edmunds; that's why he's not going to be a Top-10 pick, but the kid can really play. Day 3 grade?? That's crazy-talk.

2 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

And here I thought everyone would think I’m crazy for liking Shaun Dion Hamilton better than Evans.

You are.  SDH has a high football IQ but talk about a lack of athleticism (and size). Now after yet another significant injury, he’s an UDFA imo.  

Evans is an absolute beast and a helluva pass rusher too.  Not sure why he didn’t run on his pro day but he did deal with a groin injury last season.  

I'm trying to justify taking Joshua Jackson at 14 when we tried to do the same thing drafting a similar prospect in Quinton Rollins but in the 2nd round.

Both were 1 year wonders. One switching from Basketball and the other switching from WR.

Jackson is a little taller and longer but their overall speed is the same. Both shown the knack for locating the ball. However Jackson beats Rollins in the agility department.

I don't want us to draft a solid, safe prospects. I want us to aim for physically impressive and/or highly athletic, high upside players whenever we can. I think Jackson fits that critera, do you agree or is he too similar to Rollins?

I look at last year. Biegel is not a physically impressive prospect. We passed on Watt for King, fair enough but passing on the physically impressive Lawson over Biegel was a head stratcher. Lawson is a little shorter but he was 15lbs heavier and packed alot more power in his game and that translated to the NFL. If you're gonna have a body type like Biegel or Fackrell you better be damn quick to compensate for that lack of power which neither are.

Lawson

052317-Lawson-Carl-cp.jpg

carl-lawson-0a3f2f9536c0faea.jpg

vs

Biegel

vince-biegel.jpg

170531-biegel-950.jpg

I'm honestly not sure what the Packers were thinking there. They had an entire day to think about it before the start of day 3 of the draft. What was it they felt about Biegel that they couldn't pass on? What outstanding traits did he have that stood apart from Lawson?

I've always felt the Packers valued "workers" over higher upside players and as a result we had too many football players who were held back for whatever reason such as being too slow or too short or not athletic enough because it was believed that their hard working traits would help overcome that. Sometimes it would work such as Hyde and Martinez but most of the time it doesn't.

During Thompson's tenure whenever he says "good football players", in Packers speak that translates to mean players with a strong work ethic.

21 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm honestly not sure what the Packers were thinking there. They had an entire day to think about it before the start of day 3 of the draft. What was it they felt about Biegel that they couldn't pass on? What outstanding traits did he have that stood apart from Lawson?

I couldn't believe it either. Lawson I thought was a dead cert pick. I would have been happy with him in the second round. He looked so violent with his hands and relentless. Makes me cry

Isn't it possible that Lawson falling that far in the draft only to go to the Bengals is some sort of sign?  Is there something about his personality that maybe scared teams away?  He was supposed to be a late first to mid second round talent, wasn't he?  NFL Scouts know more about players than anyone here combined could possibly know about a player, so maybe something about Lawson scared teams away. 

It's not like the Bengals shy away from poor personalities after all. 

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

I've read somewhere that this is how Ohio coaches their CBs. Didn't seem to be a problem for Lattimore in the NFL.

Thats a good point. Could be - dont know - just came across it and thought to post it here as it runs counter to general perceptions.

34 minutes ago, Chili said:

I look at last year. Biegel is not a physically impressive prospect. We passed on Watt for King, fair enough but passing on the physically impressive Lawson over Biegel was a head stratcher. Lawson is a little shorter but he was 15lbs heavier and packed alot more power in his game and that translated to the NFL. If you're gonna have a body type like Biegel or Fackrell you better be damn quick to compensate for that lack of power which neither are.

Lawson

052317-Lawson-Carl-cp.jpg

carl-lawson-0a3f2f9536c0faea.jpg

vs

Biegel

vince-biegel.jpg

170531-biegel-950.jpg

I've always felt the Packers valued "workers" over higher upside players and as a result we had too many football players who were held back for whatever reason such as being too slow or too short or not athletic enough because it was believed that their hard working traits would help overcome that. Sometimes it would work such as Hyde and Martinez but most of the time it doesn't.

During Thompson's tenure whenever he says "good football players", in Packers speak that translates to mean players with a strong work ethic.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/carl-lawson?id=2557901

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/vince-biegel?id=2557906

Biegel and Lawson had same 40. Biegel had a better vertical,  broad jump, and 3 cone. Lawson had more bench press. 

I wanted Lawson too, but he's not a "better athlete" than Beigel according to the data.. Let's let Biegel play a healthy season first. 

20 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm trying to justify taking Joshua Jackson at 14 when we tried to do the same thing drafting a similar prospect in Quinton Rollins but in the 2nd round.

Both were 1 year wonders. One switching from Basketball and the other switching from WR.

Jackson is a little taller and longer but their overall speed is the same. Both shown the knack for locating the ball. However Jackson beats Rollins in the agility department.

I don't want us to draft a solid, safe prospects. I want us to aim for physically impressive and/or highly athletic, high upside players whenever we can. I think Jackson fits that critera, do you agree or is he too similar to Rollins?

Jacksons body type is a lot nicer than Rollins, playing speed is better than Rollins imo. I'm a sucker for guys who gets a lot of picks, I liked Rollins coming out because of that as well. Guy gets his hands on a lot of balls that aren't even picks  which is intriguing. I honestly wouldn't be mad if we took him at 14. 

1 minute ago, ArthurPensky said:

Biegel and Lawson had same 40. Biegel had a better vertical,  broad jump, and 3 cone. Lawson had more bench press. 

I wanted Lawson too, but he's not a "better athlete" than Beigel according to the data.. Let's let Biegel play a healthy season first. 

I agree. Was just commenting that I didnt think him an awe inspiring athletic specimen. Hopefully some NFL weight programs and "vitamins" will change that.

Archived