2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I was so happy that it wasn't Robert Meachem, whom everyone had pegged for GB, that I didn't care who it was.

Uh....Greg Olsen was there and we should've selected him.

Our right side of the OL is a bit iffy actually. We've got three questions we have to address there: 1. Can Bulaga stay healthy? 2. If not, who's the long-term solution there? and 3. Is Jahri Evans coming back? If Nelson is there at 14, which he won't be, we run to the podium because he's the safest pick in this draft if not Minkah.

I agree on the "iffy" part.  If one were pessimistic they'd say it is downright bad...Bulaga doesn't stay healthy, Spriggs has been a bust when he's been on the field and Murphy is an unknown.  McCray is an undrafted free agent that filled in okay at tackle and okay at guard.

The optimist can say that when healthy, Bulaga is one of the best RTs in the game.  Sprigs has a world of potential and Murphy showed well last year at left tackle before the injury.  McCray held his own as a rookie UDFA last year.

Me?  I like McCray.  I'm higher on Murphy than I am Spriggs and I bet Bulaga will be back and be just fine.  I won't argue BPA on Nelson, that's been done to death, but I think McCray is going to be a very good RG in the near future.

Everyone is so quick to jump on the Ron Wolf CB rule and not the Ron Wolf guard rule. I can't think of a 1,2,3 round guard we've drafted since 1992. We had Aaron Taylor in 1994 but he played OT at Notre Dame, we made him a guard and he never saw a 2nd contract with us, same with Timmerman. Gute would pass on Nelson at 14 if he were there. I'd bet everything I have on it. This FO doesn't value guards.

51 minutes ago, Joe said:

Our right side of the OL is a bit iffy actually. We've got three questions we have to address there: 1. Can Bulaga stay healthy? 2. If not, who's the long-term solution there? and 3. Is Jahri Evans coming back? If Nelson is there at 14, which he won't be, we run to the podium because he's the safest pick in this draft if not Minkah.

Jonathan Cooper (guard, drafted 7th overall by Arizona in 2013), touted as a 'forget that position for a decade' guard flopped. A.J.Hawk was deemed a very safe pick when he was taken, but never played anywhere near his lofty draft position. So even a 'safe pick' isn't that much safer. I'd prefer a riskier punt on a very talented pass rusher (Davenpoort or Landry or Vander Esch) or a (somewhat undersized) corner like Ward (5' 10 7/8"). I'm even tempted by Iowa CB Josh Jackson (despite an iffy combine). If your team has a great record drafting O linemen for years in the 4th and 5th rounds, why not go for one in the mid rounds again ?

55 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Everyone is so quick to jump on the Ron Wolf CB rule and not the Ron Wolf guard rule. I can't think of a 1,2,3 round guard we've drafted since 1992. We had Aaron Taylor in 1994 but he played OT at Notre Dame, we made him a guard and he never saw a 2nd contract with us, same with Timmerman. Gute would pass on Nelson at 14 if he were there. I'd bet everything I have on it. This FO doesn't value guards.

I"m beginning to think its more and more likely one of those great defensive prospects will fall to #14, making Nelson not a possible pick ( he won't be at 14 anyway).

29 minutes ago, luke4047 said:

Ross Verba was a 1st round G/T in 1997.

Mike Wahle was 2nd round supplemental draft pick in 1998.

He played LT for us for awhile and still didn't see a 2nd contract. Wahle is legit, forgot he was a supplemental pick, but still, the proof is there that this FO doesn't value guards, it's yet to really come back to bite them either.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He played LT for us for awhile and still didn't see a 2nd contract. Wahle is legit, forgot he was a supplemental pick, but still, the proof is there that this FO doesn't value guards, it's yet to really come back to bite them either.

Whittaker bit them pretty good.

Your point is well taken, though.  GB has a nice history of finding guards later in the draft.  And even tackles.  Still amazed at how well Bakh turned out if I'm being honest.  You don't get franchise LT's like him too often that late in the draft.  And I still think one of the best jobs that coaching staff has ever done is with Lane Taylor.

Is there anyone else in recent memory that was as awful as him who turned it around as well as he has?  I still smile when I remember reading AG refer to him as "hot garbage"...and in no way, shape or form was he wrong in that assessment at that time.  

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Your point is well taken, though.  GB has a nice history of finding guards later in the draft.  And even tackles.  Still amazed at how well Bakh turned out if I'm being honest.  You don't get franchise LT's like him too often that late in the draft.  And I still think one of the best jobs that coaching staff has ever done is with Lane Taylor.

Is there anyone else in recent memory that was as awful as him who turned it around as well as he has?  I still smile when I remember reading AG refer to him as "hot garbage"...and in no way, shape or form was he wrong in that assessment at that time.  

Lane and the staff deserve a ton of credit. Proved all of Packer nation wrong. Ted and Mac had serious balls making that move.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Darryn Colledge played mostly guard and was drafted in the second round.  When they drafted both Sitton and Lang he left as a FA and played guard for the Cardinals.  Maybe he was supposed to be the tackle of the future, but he started off in the NFL as a guard, and played a lot of guard for the Packers.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He was a starter for a really crappy team as a 7th round draftee.  I would put that poor season more on the guys that were making a lot of money than the guy in over his head.  Didn't he start all 16 games?

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...And I still think one of the best jobs that coaching staff has ever done is with Lane Taylor.

I should have responded to the whole thing. Oh well...

McCray looked pretty bad in the preseason last year and had a good enough regular season.  Spriggs looked horrible as well, I thought he looked fine after returning from IR.

We still have Amichia on the PS, he ticked all of the athletic boxes.  Maybe a year of experience is all he needed to improve?

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I think you are confusing drafts and you mean Heath Miller instead of that Tedford QB.

I was just staunchly against Meachem.  And for once, I was right about a draft pick.  LOL.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

89 draft.  uh hum.  Tony Mandrich G drafted #2 overall.  Has to be the single worst draft pick in Packers history.  PR no worries you are right recently the Packers generally don't value guards that highly.  Although remember the disaster TT had trying to replace Rivera and Wahle.  Wasn't pretty.  Taylor looks OK not sure on McCray.  Amichia hopefully he'll come in and compete.  I really don't want Nelson at 14 but if he's there we should take him.  Not sure what Gute would do in such a scenario.  There are some real nasty d-lines in the NFC so we'll need decent G play.  Nelson is a stud. Bulaga will be on PUP to start the season.  So we'll roll with Spriggs at RT.  RG open competition McCray, Patrick, Chia pet, Murphy and the murph tones.  You would think one of those guys would emerge.  Nelson would end that debate and be a day 1 starter.  Chances are he won't be there at 14 so not too worried about such a scenario.  

22 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

89 draft.  uh hum.  Tony Mandrich G drafted #2 overall.  Has to be the single worst draft pick in Packers history.  PR no worries you are right recently the Packers generally don't value guards that highly.  Although remember the disaster TT had trying to replace Rivera and Wahle.  Wasn't pretty.  Taylor looks OK not sure on McCray.  Amichia hopefully he'll come in and compete.  I really don't want Nelson at 14 but if he's there we should take him.  Not sure what Gute would do in such a scenario.  There are some real nasty d-lines in the NFC so we'll need decent G play.  Nelson is a stud. Bulaga will be on PUP to start the season.  So we'll roll with Spriggs at RT.  RG open competition McCray, Patrick, Chia pet, Murphy and the murph tones.  You would think one of those guys would emerge.  Nelson would end that debate and be a day 1 starter.  Chances are he won't be there at 14 so not too worried about such a scenario.  

Yeah - whats the deal with this guy? I never read or even hear his name in the mix of OL possibilities. Maybe I'm just reading and listening in the wrong places LOL

Archived