2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

40 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Does anyone else think a Josh Jackson / Kevin King CB tandem would be nice to have?

I get pass rush is the number one need but if Jackson is there at our pick... it be hard to pass on that.

Haven't dug into the prospects much (yet) - but if the worthy OLB/DE's are off the table, this so far is my favorite way to go. Two lanky athletic dudes on the outside (who can come up with the INT) and I'll even add Randall as a good slot corner. Might take a year to come to full fruition but would be exciting. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd have no issue with Ward or Jackson after seeing them this year.

I know I'm becoming a bit of a dinosaur around these parts, but the whole skipping a bowl game for the draft - like Ward did - still rubs me the wrong way. And it's not like OSU was in a "nothing" bowl -> it was widely considered the best non-playoff matchup. Hell the USC receivers were clearly our biggest positive on offense that day - feels like they coulda used Ward.  

3 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

I know I'm becoming a bit of a dinosaur around these parts, but the whole skipping a bowl game for the draft - like Ward did - still rubs me the wrong way. And it's not like OSU was in a "nothing" bowl -> it was widely considered the best non-playoff matchup. Hell the USC receivers were clearly our biggest positive on offense that day - feels like they coulda used Ward.  

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

Unless you consider any non playoff a "nothing" bowl. It really was just a meaningless exhibition.

College players need to start to think of themselves as independent contractors when the NFL is looming and they are in their last season.  I would prefer that the players play in the bowl game, but if protecting their earning potential and securing their future is more important, it is hard for me to judge against that.  

20 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Unless you consider any non playoff a "nothing" bowl. It really was just a meaningless exhibition.

14 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I'd have issue with it in a playoff game, but really, the season ended a month ago.

This is kind of my point though. To me, thats a "me first" mentality and that's what I don't like. It's not meaningless - especially to a passionate fanbase like OSU, and moreso for the players on your team. I want the guy who's going to go take the field because those matter to him. I think Bryce Love was a great example this year - dude had more justification to not play in the bowl game than Ward. Despite being injured the guy kept fighting. I just really like that mindset. 

Do I understand wanting to secure your, and your family's future? Absolutely! And that's why it's not a "take him off the board" kind of deal.  Just a minor detraction.

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm not opposed to drafting Ward. I was just commenting that it rubbed me the wrong way about him. 

21 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

It's all situational. Every bit of the draft. Dozens if not hundreds of variables in each pick.

You are correct, it all depends on who's left when it's your pick.  Players fall and some get picked way before people have mocked.

28 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

This is kind of my point though. To me, thats a "me first" mentality and that's what I don't like. It's not meaningless - especially to a passionate fanbase like OSU, and moreso for the players on your team. I want the guy who's going to go take the field because those matter to him. I think Bryce Love was a great example this year - dude had more justification to not play in the bowl game than Ward. Despite being injured the guy kept fighting. I just really like that mindset. 

Do I understand wanting to secure your, and your family's future? Absolutely! And that's why it's not a "take him off the board" kind of deal.  Just a minor detraction.

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm not opposed to drafting Ward. I was just commenting that it rubbed me the wrong way about him. 

I work at the OSU hospital. Lots of “dinosaurs” were pretty livid he sat. He shouldn’t be on the sideline, he should have to pay for a ticket, etc. The question I posed to a coworker was essentially this - if you were promised 10 years of salary for working 1 year straight, would you take it? Stipulations: you cannot be late, call in sick, be injured or have a drop in performance review. If any of these happen, you are put through a stringent review and at best you take a 50% pay cut, at worst you are unemployed. Now, make the job description state “you must run into a brick wall as fast as you can 100x/day”.  Stammering happened very quickly. 

Personally I don’t like that he practiced with the 1s and didn’t announce until game day, but that’s just me. I would probably like a rule in place that you have to announce you’re sitting a week prior to kickoff. I get both sides of the argument and lean toward the player. Some of these guys can make more than generations of their family had made combined just by signing a document. Just a downfall of the CFP. 

2 minutes ago, tfalkgopack said:

I work at the OSU hospital. Lots of “dinosaurs” were pretty livid he sat. He shouldn’t be on the sideline, he should have to pay for a ticket, etc. The question I posed to a coworker was essentially this - if you were promised 10 years of salary for working 1 year straight, would you take it? Stipulations: you cannot be late, call in sick, be injured or have a drop in performance review. If any of these happen, you are put through a stringent review and at best you take a 50% pay cut, at worst you are unemployed. Now, make the job description state “you must run into a brick wall as fast as you can 100x/day”.  Stammering happened very quickly. 

Personally I don’t like that he practiced with the 1s and didn’t announce until game day, but that’s just me. I would probably like a rule in place that you have to announce you’re sitting a week prior to kickoff. I get both sides of the argument and lean toward the player. Some of these guys can make more than generations of their family had made combined just by signing a document. Just a downfall of the CFP. 

/r/thathappened

Spent a little over 90 minutes looking at Courtland Sutton this morning. 

+ Obvious size and strength. 6'4 220 LBS. Uses it in all the stereotypical ways. Tough to bring down. Large catch radius. Will punk smaller CBs with physicality in the red zone. Good hands, adjusts to less accurate throws well. Hand catcher for the most part, including going up to get the ball. Works the sideline well. Developing as a blocker but the size helps there as well. Routes have good foot placement. Generates speed well for his size.

- COD skill suffers from the size. Routes can be crisp, but I wouldn't call them sudden. Not a burner. If he can't show to be a deep threat either with his size or speed he will struggle to separate. 

Archived