2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Maybe.  If you haven't managed to find all-pro guards in the 4th round and the position this happens with isn't guard.  Otherwise, nope, it's not a great pick. 

Nelson is not the best guard prospect in NFL history.  Remember the last "can't miss" prospect at guard?  I do.  His name was Jonathan Cooper. 

What do guards have to do with it? Your quote was if you only keep a 1st round pick for 5 years it was a bad pick. Say HHCD played this year like he did in 2016, then has a similar year in 2018 and he somehow gets away in FA. Still a great pick, we got great value out of that selection.

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

Mike Iupati was a better prospect than Nelson currently is. I fully expect him to go to multiple pro bowls and be a road grader for whoever drafts him but he's not worth a top 15 pick for any team with serious holes to fill. 

This is the fairest and best assessment of the situation.  Nelson might be worth a top 15 pick if somehow a team ended up with a top 15 pick that didn't have at least 6 legitimate holes.

We are not that team. 

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Mike Iupati was a better prospect than Nelson currently is. I fully expect him to go to multiple pro bowls and be a road grader for whoever drafts him but he's not worth a top 15 pick for any team with serious holes to fill. 

I disagree.  Nelson is a better prospect than Iupati was IMO.

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Fair enough. It's basically a preference thing as they're extremely similar players. 

Why does it matter? There’s busts at every position and every draft slot. Just because Cooper sucked, and maybe Iupati wasn’t worth his position doesn’t mean Nelson will suck.

2 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Why does it matter? There’s busts at every position and every draft slot. Just because Cooper sucked, and maybe Iupati wasn’t worth his position doesn’t mean Nelson will suck.

It just gives you an overall idea of what you're likely to get by using a premium pick on a supposed elite guard prospect. You're more likely to get prime Iupati than the next Larry Allen. Not to say that's necessarily a bad thing. I'd just prefer to grab Denzel Ward, Roquan or Ridley.

Just now, pollino14 said:

Because there have been two top 14 guards drafted in the top 14 since the turn of the century, and neither of them have been worth it.  And because we pick 14th overall. 

2 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

It matters because people are rating Nelson, who plays a non-premium position, so highly only because he seems like a "sure thing" with zero chance for a bust.

They acknowledge he doesn't have upside because they acknowledge he plays G.  Then they say he has no downside, which is just flat wrong.  OL aren't safe picks.

G: Hey Teddy. How goes it ?

TT: Great. In a dark room watching film 18 hours a day. Better than a Geritol Viagara cocktail

G: Good to hear. Can you find us an 8 year guard ?

TT: Duh. It's what I do. South Dakota State and Montana A&I both have one - I'll get you reports

DONE

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This is the fairest and best assessment of the situation.  Nelson might be worth a top 15 pick if somehow a team ended up with a top 15 pick that didn't have at least 6 legitimate holes.

We are not that team. 

I'm not a proponent of the move, but surely you see the flaws in your logic. (1) You don't just draft for need (2) A guard's impact is NEVER going to be easily measured (3) Using what happens in past drafts to guide is a fools errand. 

The Ingram/Kamaras, Bells, Zekes all have multiple first round picks ahead of them, including on the interior line. Saints have Peat (#13 overall), Bell has DeCastro (#24), Zeke has Martin (#16) - all 3 are guards.

If - and that's a big IF no doubt - Nelson is as elite as he's made out to be and he hits, it can absolutely help your defense. Your offense can give them a bigger cushion and they stay fresher from controlling the ToP. 

Again, it's not what I want, but I can at least understand the logic. 

Everyone knows how much I hate first round receivers and I would literally rather our 14th overall pick be a receiver.  Anybody that thinks a guard is going to radically change the fortunes of this team is kinda stupid.  I'd rather take a second round pass rush prospect 14th overall than Nelson.  Everybody points to Martin.  What in the **** has Martin don for the Cowboys?  Two playoff appearances since he was drafted.  A single win.  Oh, boy. 

Archived