Coordinator News and Rumors

WindyCity

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Well ****. Do you think it had anything to do with the talent-level? I was looking at the rankings and ya'll had one or two good seasons with him but the rest seemed below average.

I guess talent level always has something to do with level of play on any side of the ball but our STs has always been sloppy with him. He benefited for a few years with Travis Benjamin making him look good. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

How much of that is the personnel he’s working with though? Lack of talent and football acumen on the roster is how you get to where you guys have been the past few years. 

Sure but generally most STs units are filled with bottom level roster guys with the exception of a few guys. The kickoff/punt coverage schemes were infuriating. It’s like we had 11 guys running in opposite directions with no idea what to do. That’s gotta fall on coaching. And having DTs try to block on key FGs is pretty idiotic. 

18 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think a large part is the personnel. You have the worst roster in the NFL, and he was utilizing the worst players of the worst roster. I hope with an improved cast he does better than Rodgers did.

But he could be as bad as the cast he had. We'll see.

Well, I don't think we do have the worst roster in the league, but that's besides the point...

The Browns have sucked since 1999, but they didn't always have bad ST play. Once Tabor arrived, we've consistently had awful ST units. And like @sdrawkcab321 said, we've honestly lost countless games due to piss poor ST play during his tenure.

I actually quite like the Nagy hire for you guys, but this one isn't good. Glad he's gone though cause I never thought we'd get rid of him. xD

Just now, G08 said:

I'm guessing Toub recommended his guy... oh well, I never felt Jeff Rodgers was anything special either.

That’s where I’m at with it. To be expected that Nagy will use his connections to fill the staff, directly or indirectly. That lack of discipline seen on ST doesn’t just come from the ST coach. In many if not most cases it starts at the top of the coaching staff. 

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Kris Richard was fired from SEA today. Surprising to say the least, I wouldn't mind him if Fangio moved on.

Assuming Fangio walks... what other quality DC names are out there?

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Assuming Fangio walks... what other quality DC names are out there?

IDK who is still under contract and who isn't. With Pettine gone I know of Fangio and Kris, but most of the ones I have noticed are guys I feel are up and comers. Not established DSCs like we are probably looking at.

To hell with anyone who suggests Capers.  lol

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

IDK who is still under contract and who isn't. With Pettine gone I know of Fangio and Kris, but most of the ones I have noticed are guys I feel are up and comers. Not established DSCs like we are probably looking at.

To hell with anyone who suggests Capers.  lol

James Bettcher is the next best option and Bears have already reached out to him.

Tabor: I don’t know. I feel like good ST coordinators are really hard to find. Probably a recommendation from Toub though. Even a bad unit is better than the stuff that happened under Joe D, like the kick coverage unit forcing a fumble that Carolina returned for a touchdown, or attempting a fake punt with only ten guys and the starting OL on the field.

Archived