NBA 2k18 Thread

On 9/22/2017 at 6:24 PM, MKnight82 said:

The 1st class had like 3 players 85-81.  The 2nd had a 91 and a 81.  The 3rd had no one over a 79.  Seems like a decent mix.

Yeah, I don't know if they altered it in that patch for the MyPlayer deletions, or if they can alter stuff like that in their roster updates, or if it is just to chance, but it's a little better now than it was out of the box.  I went through around 6 MyGM seasons, and every class, but two, had a player 90 overall.  The one class was just the first storyline class, that is loaded anyway, and the other had a 87 ovr 6'7" sg with A+ potential.  The past two classes I've seen in MyLeague have been closer to the baseline.  Top prospects have been 79-83.  I wouldn't be opposed to an occasional 90 ovr, but every other year is too frequent.  

Ok so I've run two quick MyGMs and have some thoughts on this year's version:

- The "story mode" is really stupid IMO.  It adds nothing to the experience and is forced on you.  It only lasts the first season, and if you start a new MyGM it restarts and makes you do it again.  So you'll be forced to do the story every time the first season.  Its also annoying because it forces you to make at least one transaction, in my first playthrough I only lost 1 veteran player, but my 2nd my owner traded away a future first round pick and young depth player from my roster.  

- Something is wrong with the way the CPU values Centers.  I signed a 27 year old 75 OVR SG backup type free agent to a 1-year contract, and then later on used the trade finder to see what I could get for him.  I was offered a Center that had just been the #1 overall pick in the prior draft, he was a 79 OVR with A+ potential rating, and he still had 4 years left on his rookie deal.  I accepted the deal, then after waiting 2 months or so tried to see what I could get back for him using the trade finder, and I wasn't offered anything from a single team.  In fact, I couldn't get any team to make an offer for any of my Centers.  The CPU seriously undervalues Centers, I hope they patch this.  

- The progression on players you put in the G-League is way too overpowered.  I placed a 69 OVR Center prospect in the G-League for one season and he progressed to a 78 OVR in one year's time.  Meanwhile my top 5 pick on my active NBA roster only progressed like 2 points.  

- A positive is they have improved the computer generated draft classes, not just with OVRs, but the players are generally more athletic which was a big problem in the past.  One thing I don't like, is the first year's draft class is scripted as part of the story and will always be the Year 1 draft class.  

- I've read some people complaining about shooting being too difficult, but after playing a few games I think its way better than last year's.  Especially 3 point shooting.  I would consistently only make 25-30% of my 3s last year, and that was with really good shooters.  This year if you can get your players open for good looks they will hit them.  Seems like a big improvement to me.  

The development of the draft and stash players is really overpowered, too.  They progress 8 or 9 overall every season.  You can draft a 64 overall draft and stash guy, in the mid to late 1st, and if he has solid potential, you'll end up with an 80+ overall rookie, after waiting 2 or 3 years.  It's really easy to make an over powered team in MyLeague/MyGM right now, even without manipulating the CPU AI.

Did they change rookie deals to 3 years, with 2 team options, in real life?  I have a MyLeague with the Mavs right now, and DSJ is on a 5 year rookie deal.  The guys I draft though, are still on the standard 2+2 deals.

27 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

The development of the draft and stash players is really overpowered, too.  The progress 8 or 9 overall every season.  You can draft a 64 overall draft and stash guy, in the mid to late 1st, and if he has solid potential, you'll end up with an 80+ overall rookie, after waiting 2 or 3 years.  It's really easy to make an over powered team in MyLeague/MyGM right now, even without manipulating the CPU AI.

Did they change rookie deals to 3 years, with 2 team options, in real life?  I have a MyLeague with the Mavs right now, and DSJ is on a 5 year rookie deal.  The guys I draft though, are still on the standard 2+2 deals.

I'm not sure, I traded for Justin Patton and he was also on a 3-year rookie deal.  I thought all first rounders were 2 years with a 2 year team option?

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I'm not sure, I traded for Justin Patton and he was also on a 3-year rookie deal.  I thought all first rounders were 2 years with a 2 year team option?

It looks like it's a mistake on 2k's part.  BBref has all 1st rounders, including Smith, on 2+2 deals.  I ran a MyGM with the Sixers, and I'm pretty sure Fultz was only on a 2 year deal, with 2 team options.  I wonder if he's still going to be restricted after that 5th year, or if the game will just treat it like an accepted qualifying offer?  This game is pretty good, I just hope they can patch up some of the off the floor problems with MyLeague/MyGM.  I believe the game only allows you to have 1 draft and stash player on your roster, that is currently overseas.  I wonder if that is intentional, or something they'll fix?

59 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

It looks like it's a mistake on 2k's part.  BBref has all 1st rounders, including Smith, on 2+2 deals.  I ran a MyGM with the Sixers, and I'm pretty sure Fultz was only on a 2 year deal, with 2 team options.  I wonder if he's still going to be restricted after that 5th year, or if the game will just treat it like an accepted qualifying offer?  This game is pretty good, I just hope they can patch up some of the off the floor problems with MyLeague/MyGM.  I believe the game only allows you to have 1 draft and stash player on your roster, that is currently overseas.  I wonder if that is intentional, or something they'll fix?

Could be a limitation of the programming for the draft and stash.  I've only done it once, took a PG but he didn't progress as much as you were saying you experienced.  I'll try it again tonight and see what happens.  

31 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Could be a limitation of the programming for the draft and stash.  I've only done it once, took a PG but he didn't progress as much as you were saying you experienced.  I'll try it again tonight and see what happens.  

Just make sure they have 80+ potential.  I noticed it happening all across the league.  

Got the game on Sunday. Did a fantasy draft league, myGM storyline is a little interesting but I'd hoped there would be an option to turn things off. Drafted a young talented team, Kyrie Irving, Ben Simmons and Evan Fournier are the main building blocks. I like how many different things there are to do as a GM and I'd hoped to play from time to time besides playoff games, but I'm total trash at the game right now. Might have to do the my career player and learn the controls.

18 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Got the game on Sunday. Did a fantasy draft league, myGM storyline is a little interesting but I'd hoped there would be an option to turn things off. Drafted a young talented team, Kyrie Irving, Ben Simmons and Evan Fournier are the main building blocks. I like how many different things there are to do as a GM and I'd hoped to play from time to time besides playoff games, but I'm total trash at the game right now. Might have to do the my career player and learn the controls.

You play off the ball a lot in MyCareer, whereas in MyGM you're always in control of the ball handling.  So idk if practicing in MyCareer is really going to help.  Just play a few regular seasons games you should get the hang of it.  

Few tips:

Until you get better on defense try controlling someone off the ball handler and let the cpu pressure the ball handler instead.  

Don't pass up the court, you're very likely to get picked off.  Bring the ball up past the half court and get set into your offense. 

Use the RB button to set screens.  Use this a lot on offense to get someone open for good looks.  Or, drive to the basket if you get a good screen.  

Don't jack up a bunch of shots early on.  Try to get a few easy buckets inside first to get your offense going.  One you're in a rhythm start taking 3s. 

Wanted to share the notes from patch 3 in this forum, instead of bogging down Knight's GM thread

• Users are now able to view their individual attributes & values when upgrading their players in MyCAREER.
  • Fixed a case where game framerate would drop for the remainder of the game following a called timeout.
  • Users are now able to view the individual attributes and their values when upgrading their players in MyCAREER.
  • Gray indicators have been added underneath the feet of your teammates in the Playground; it is now much quicker and easier to discern your teammates from your opponents.
  • Global settings/options will no longer reset to default after entering a MyTEAM game.
  • Users will no longer lose their facial hair when re-scanning their face.
  • Addressed a case where Draft-and-Stash players in MyLEAGUE/MyGM would be signed to a $0 contract, while simultaneously being duplicated in the upcoming rookie draft (new save required).
  • Generated prospects in future seasons of MyLEAGUE/MyGM will now always have heights appropriate for their position (new save required).
  • Free agents 32 years or older will no longer pass up big money offers to sign for the MLE in MyGM/MyLEAGUE.
  • Users will no longer display negative badge progress following an exceptional performance in MyCAREER. For those currently experiencing this, continue playing and your tally will be incremented towards your next bonus.
  • Fixed a hang that could occur when the user was scrolling down the list of available shirts in the T-Shirt Kiosk.
  • Improved framerate in the court area of the Playground when games are being played on most/all of the courts.
  • Addressed a hang that could occur when bringing up the squad menu in a completely full Neighborhood.
  • Fixed a soft hang in Live Practice where the ball would not get picked up when using the ball machine.
  • Fixed an issue where the camera would always point to the middle of the court if the user had the Auto Flip option enabled while in the broadcast camera(s).
  • (Switch) Improved framerate/audio syncing during tunnel/locker room scenes in MyCAREER.
  • (Switch) Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented Local Play from commencing when there were four participants.

• 2 weeks later...

Loving this game so far. It's basically perfect for the GM mode aside from the scripted draft and certain scripted events.

First franchise, decided to go with the Lakers. Can't remember all the moves I made during the first season, but I know I traded for Andre Drummond. Record ended up being 11th in the conference and missing the playoffs, but I had traded and maneuvered some pieces and ended up with the #1 overall pick (forgot which team it was, Bucks possibly). Drafted Jackson Baldwin #1 overall, signed Paul George, and also picked up Willy Hermangomez via trade. Starting 5 were:

PG Lonzo Ball

SG Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

SF Paul George

PF Jackson Baldwin

C Andre Drummond

Ended up going 71-11 simming that season (2018), played 3 games vs Grizzleys and won them all (I play on Pro) with the sim sweeping the 4th, played 1 game vs Houston and lost, with the series going 4-2, and then simmed the championship vs the Cavs until it was 3-1 and I played the 5th game and won - though LeBron James is a pure beast. Lonzo Ball tore his ACL during the Western conference finals though, and his impact was felt.

Jackson Baldwin feels like a LeBron clone though, so many buckets from alley-oop passes to him, and just blowing past the slower PFs. Feels a bit unfair to have him be guaranteed in the league after the first season... although after my second season the draft had a guy named Raul R-something who went #1 to the Knicks and was rated 91 overall!!! At 21 years old! Beast.

So far I've gotten better at the game, given that I started from basically zero. I mostly shoot with the square button, haven't gotten used to the stick much yet besides trying to do some dribble moves. I struggle to execute plays and barely do any 3 point attempts because almost no one is ever open, and I dominate the points in the paint and rebounding (thank you Drummond). Seems like my play style is better suited for driving and the inside game, though I have been trying to work on executing plays and sometimes it works. I wanted to play the Lakers to sort of 'rebuild' them into my vision, but I feel it was too easy a turn-around. Ball is a stud and already inherited on the roster, Drummond trade, Baldwin draft, George signed. One season turn-around is a bit easy, especially since it's the Lakers and no problem signing. I'll probably keep this franchise going and play occasional playoff games but they are going to be extremely dominant. I'm thinking of starting another franchise, with a team that has basically no real star player (or rookie / young stud that can develop), and try to turn things around. Eyeballing Orlando or Atlanta as I'm not aware of any really good players on those teams and with lack of NBA titles it won't be as easy to entice people to join my staff or sign with the team.

Has anyone done MyLeague online? I'm curious how does the XP system works after you have a player on your team that wins awards like MVP, DPOTY, NBA all first team, etc...

Does 2k auto increase ratings or can you select how to use the XP that the player has earned?

Archived