NBA 2k18 Thread

15 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

What games these days don't require a grind? You don't need money to be able to enjoy a game.

It's a lazy excuse for people to give into microtransactions. This grind existed before any of that; even with this franchise.

It didn't. Not to the extent it does in modern games. 

My main issue with 2K17 was awkward shooting and canned animations. Driving past people could be near impossible unless you triggered certain animations. Also making open buckets was way harder than it should have been. 

Just now, sunnygsm said:

It didn't. Not to the extent it does in modern games. 

My main issue with 2K17 was awkward shooting and canned animations. Driving past people could be near impossible unless you triggered certain animations. Also making open buckets was way harder than it should have been. 

Your main issue is much improved in 2k18.  It's less canned, and defenders can no longer just awkwardly stone wall you.  If you get on the defenders hip, you get past him.  Help defense is much faster to challenge you at the rim, and it causes you to miss a lot of layups.  The took the meter for layups out, but they still feel like release timing matters, its just not showing you on a literal meter.  Shooting is probably more difficult, but the cpu struggles too.  The end of game fg% mirror real life more than in the past. You won't be shooting 60+% from the field every game. It can cause frustration, but if you just slow down, you'll be fine.  I had the same two problems with 2k17.  I've already enjoyed 18, on the court, more than I did with 17.

Grinds are grinds, but there's a difference between someone playing an hour a day and getting progress, or having to play 3+ hours a day to make any progress.

Planned on picking this up right away but have gotten bogged down with a few other games and Madden is still fresh. Will still get it, but probably will wait for some patches to come out, and maybe a sale if I last to black friday.

Myplayer grinding for MyCareer should absolutely be there.  I don't understand how people have fun playing as a 99 overall and putting up ridiculous statlines up against the computer.  Its the Park players that hate the grinding because they want nothing to do with mycareer.

The real problem is grinding is killed in the online setting because of the people out there that just pump money in to have a maxed player the first week the game is out.  How are you supposed to grind against people that are instant 99 overalls because they dropped serious money on VC

15 hours ago, grubs10 said:

Myplayer grinding for MyCareer should absolutely be there.  I don't understand how people have fun playing as a 99 overall and putting up ridiculous statlines up against the computer.  Its the Park players that hate the grinding because they want nothing to do with mycareer.

The real problem is grinding is killed in the online setting because of the people out there that just pump money in to have a maxed player the first week the game is out.  How are you supposed to grind against people that are instant 99 overalls because they dropped serious money on VC

The thing is... You can't even get to 99 that way. You HAVE TO PLAY to get to 99 overall. People just don't want to PLAY games anymore. It's sad.

9 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

The thing is... You can't even get to 99 that way. You HAVE TO PLAY to get to 99 overall. People just don't want to PLAY games anymore. It's sad.

That's not what bothers me, what bothers me is that when you get to 99 you're not really 99... Go ahead and compare your attributes to the real players in the game and you'll realize that in reality your "99 overall" player isn't even as good as most guys in the upper 80s. It's the ridiculous attribute caps that anger me to no end.

I remember an old madden had a thing where you randomly cycled through a set of parents for your custom character. It would combine the attributes of the parents to produce the starting stats for your player. You could occasionally generate a father that was an all-pro NFL player and an athletic mother. Would lead to physical freaks. I wish more games had some system like that over attribute caps. Attribute caps don't allow for LeBron like anomalies and that's lame. 

The game play is super smooth - I haven't played 2K the past two years so this is a big improvement for me. I'm excited to dive into a franchise when the opening day rosters are out but for the time being I'll probably just be playing quick play and checking out some of the other modes. 

Archived