2018 Free Agency

turtle28

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Can we somehow merge them into one Punter named Tress King?

I know one college (albeit without a D1 football program) that would have totally go the opposite direction.

On 4/4/2018 at 11:23 PM, Doc Draper said:

Interesting! Our top 5 players (salaries in 18) are

Norman 17m

Trent Williams 14m

Kerrigan 12.5m

Jordan Reed 10m

Scherff 6.75

What would the Patriots do?  Norman is really good, but 17m good? I don't think so. Trent has been declining from an All Pro for three years into an able average pass blocking and only average run blocking LT, Worth 14m? I think not. I keep Kerrigan and the easiest of the bunch is Reed. I know we take a terrible hit this year if we trade him, but I wonder if that could be offset somehow this year and next year its a no brainer he is gone (unless he somehow manages to play 16 games and play exceptionally well at an all pro level) as some have already written about. 

These number may be off a bit as it was before Smith was acquired and re-negotiated. 

You would think your top five positions would be QB, WR, CB, Pass rusher, and LT. Norman is CB, T Will is LT but paying both this amount seems over excessive for their performance. Does anyone think Trent contributes to just one more victory when playing? I think not. Norman is a 1 CB, but to be paid that much he needs to get 5=6 ints a year and he doesnt come close to that. The most egregious is Reed who has been stealing money from the team for years.  

Our "Stars" are overpaid for their performance. Time to clean house?

This has gotten me thinking Brice may be going all n to try to limp into the playoffs this year and getting a running back and impact WR might be appealing to him. The next guy will clean up the mess he has made. 

This was before the acquisition of Alex Smith.

Our top paid players are:

(74 total) Cap
Number
Alex Smith $18,400,000
Josh Norman $16,937,500
Trent Williams $13,682,133
Ryan Kerrigan $12,450,000
Jordan Reed $10,143,750
Brandon Scherff $6,750,430
Morgan Moses $5,400,000
Vernon Davis $5,333,333
Stacy McGee $4,800,000
Terrell McClain $4,687,500

So, our QB is our highest paid player. Our top corner is our 2nd highest paid player which happens on some teams and does make sense. Our 3rd highest paid player is our All-Pro LT, which entirely makes sense and our 4th highest paid player is our top pass rusher which again makes total sense. Our best receiver - even though he does play TE - is our 5th highest player, which again makes total sense, we can’t control that he can’t stay healthy.  Hopefully Reed stays more healthy this year and has a year like he had in 2015, if he does he will have lived up to his salary. Our 2nd and 3rd best OL are our 6th and 7th highest paid players, which again I don’t have a problem with. 

Now, the 8th-10th highest paid players on this list is where I can see people having issues. Paying $5.3 million for our #2 TE is not ideal but given that we run a lot of 2 TE sets and our #1 TE hasn’t been able to stay healthy the last two years it’s become a necessity.

Lastly, obviously there is the argument to be made that both McClain and McGee are overpaid. They’re decent rotational DL for us but aren’t better than Allen, Ioannidis, Hood, Lanier, a healthy Phil Taylor and not better than a DL that we may take in round 1. There certainly could be a move made with one of those two or both if we draft Payne, Vea, Phillips or Settle etc, in round 1 or 2.

It remains to be seen what will happen with McClain or McGee. But certainly I don’t have a problem with who are our top 7 players are. It’s the 8-10 where the questions start to come in, but obviously Davis is Reed insurance.

ESPN New York doesn't expect the Jets to sign free agent DT Johnathan Hankins.

Hankins visited the Jets after leaving Washington and Detroit without a deal. He has ties to New York from his Giants days, but may not be a great fit on a line that has Leonard Williams and Steve McLendon. With Ndamukong Suh signed, Hankins is the top defensive tackle in free agency.

11 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

ESPN New York doesn't expect the Jets to sign free agent DT Johnathan Hankins.

Hankins visited the Jets after leaving Washington and Detroit without a deal. He has ties to New York from his Giants days, but may not be a great fit on a line that has Leonard Williams and Steve McLendon. With Ndamukong Suh signed, Hankins is the top defensive tackle in free agency.

Yeah, with the Jets signing Suh - who I heard will play NT for the Jets - they don’t need Hankins. Seems to me, Hankin’s should still be in play for us.

I haven’t read anywhere that we’ve retracted our offer to him, have you?

I just know that Hank hasn’t accepted it. Perhaps/hopefully our offer is the best offer still out there for Hankins and he will end up accepting it. That would be awesome if he does!

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, with the Jets signing Suh - who I heard will play NT for the Jets - they don’t need Hankins. Seems to me, Hankin’s should still be in play for us.

I haven’t read anywhere that we’ve retracted our offer to him, have you?

I just know that Hank hasn’t accepted it. Perhaps/hopefully our offer is the best offer still out there for Hankins and he will end up accepting it. That would be awesome if he does!

Huh?  Suh signed with the Rams.  Where have you been turtle?  Lol.

And no, I haven't read anything about us retracting our offer.  I'm hoping the agent is just posturing right now, but will take our deal as the draft nears and before Hankins' value plummets after it's over.

24 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

And no, I haven't read anything about us retracting our offer.  I'm hoping the agent is just posturing right now, but will take our deal as the draft nears and before Hankins' value plummets after it's over.

Oh the Rams that’s right, sorry brain fart. Ive been a very busy at work the last few weeks and really haven’t focused much on the Redskins or the nfl offseason.

I agree with your take on Hankins, I hope he decides to sign with us.

I think we sign Hankins this week. Just call it a hunch.

Allen switching back to his Alabama #93 & this opening up #95. Johnathon Hankins # last yr with colts.

The hang up I've heard is we only want to do a 1 yr deal. Hankins wants a multi-yr deal.

I think we'll sign him to a 2-yr deal.

I also believe if this happens, we'll target CB (ward)--S (James)--DB (Fitzpatrick) in the 1st rd.

Then OG (Hernandez/Wynn) or RB (Michel/Chubb/Penny) in the 2nd.

We shall see...

19 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Allen switching back to his Alabama #93 & this opening up #95. Johnathon Hankins # last yr with colts.

The hang up I've heard is we only want to do a 1 yr deal. Hankins wants a multi-yr deal.

I also believe if this happens, we'll target CB (ward)--S (James)--DB (Fitzpatrick) in the 1st rd.

We shall see...

If we sign Hankins I’m hoping to move back a little and hopefully pick up some more picks, a third would be great. In that case I would go

1)guice

2)Hernandez/Price/Wynn 

3)dontae Jackson- guy is underrated in this draft. Can be a hell of a corner and also can return kicks

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

We shall see...

If this is the case, our FO is stupid - of course not a surprise - we should sign Hank to a multi-year deal but make just the first year guaranteed like the Colts did. That way we could cut him after one year if we need to.

As for who we draft if we sign Hankins, I agree with you we’ll likely take in of the top DBs in round 1 and an OG or preferably for me a RB in round 2.

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

If we sign Hankins I’m hoping to move back a little and hopefully pick up some more picks, a third would be great. In that case I would go

1)guice

2)Hernandez/Price/Wynn 

3)dontae Jackson- guy is underrated in this draft. Can be a hell of a corner and also can return kicks

If we move back in round 1, I think we have to stay in front of the Lions at 20. So, I could see moving back but not too far, and I’m also not sure why any of the teams in the late teens would give up a draft pick to move up to our spot. That’s the riddle I can’t solve and no one has given me an answer as to why any of those teams in the late teens would move up either.

19 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Excellent take on it. I think you are spot on here.  Given that he apparently didn't get a truckload of money thrown at him, this would be smart

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If we move back in round 1, I think we have to stay in front of the Lions at 20. So, I could see moving back but not too far, and I’m also not sure why any of the teams in the late teens would give up a draft pick to move up to our spot. That’s the riddle I can’t solve and no one has given me an answer as to why any of those teams in the late teens would move up either.

While we can't see it, these things happen. A guy slides that a team doesn't expect. And suddenly might be available if they give up a 3rd or 4th to swap firsts (or whatever the trade value is, I don't have the chart in front of me)

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Chargers could be a sneaky team that want to jump the Cardinals for a QB, like the Chiefs did last year.  Rivers isn't going to play forever, and the Chargers need to start building some excitement in LA... Rams own the city right now (NFL-wise).  The value from 17 to 13 is about a 3rd rounder.

7 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Chargers could be a sneaky team that want to jump the Cardinals for a QB, like the Chiefs did last year.  Rivers isn't going to play forever, and the Chargers need to start building some excitement in LA... Rams own the city right now (NFL-wise).  The value from 17 to 13 is about a 3rd rounder.

Yeah but if the top 5 QBs are gone by the time we pick, with Allen going to the Bills at 12, then who would the Chargers trade up for? 

Why not just wait until the next best available qb that falls to them?

Like a Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson.

Archived