The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

5 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Am I missing something? When did Sharpe the most inefficient WR ever compared to Hunter and DGB? To compare....

2016 Sharpe-83 targets/41 rec. (49.4%)/522 yards/2 TDs

2015 DGB-67 targets/32 rec. (47.8%)/549 yards/4 TDs

2014 Hunter-67 targets/28 rec.(41.8%)/498 yards/3 TDs

(BONUS)2017 Corey Davis-65 targets/34 rec.(52.3%)/375 yards/0 TDs

And that's a 22 year old second rounder (DGB) and a 2nd year, 23 year old second rounder (Hunter) compared to a rookie 21 year old fifth rounder.

True, Sharpe wasn't efficient.  But the talk of him being the most inefficient (and it honestly sounds like the worst) WR in Titans history is wild to me.

Sharpe: 6.29 yards per target, 12.7 yards per catch, 2.4% touchdown rates.

DGB: 8.19 yards per targets, 17.2 yards per catch, 6.0% touchdown rate.

Justin Hunter:  7.43 yards per target, 17.8 yards per catch, 4.5% touchdown rate.

So yeah, I'd definitively say that Sharpe was significantly less efficient than both of them. Unless we're using catch percentage as the lone metric for efficiency.

Davis was arguably less efficient, but I'm willing to cut some slack given that he never got to work with Marcus before the season started due to Mariota missing OTA's and minicamp and CD missing all of training camp. I think we all saw that they were often not on the same page. Add in the nagging injuries for both of them and far and away the worst statistical season of Mariota's career, and you can at least try to explain away his struggles. Outside of being a fifth round pick (when I don't really know why it matters honestly), Sharpe came into an ideal situation to produce. Had the entire offseason to work with Marcus (and all reports indicated that the two had instant chemistry on the field), was given a starting spot over superior players, and played during Mariota's best statistical season, and he still managed to flop spectacularly.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Sharpe: 6.29 yards per target, 12.7 yards per catch, 2.4% touchdown rates.

DGB: 8.19 yards per targets, 17.2 yards per catch, 6.0% touchdown rate.

Justin Hunter:  7.43 yards per target, 17.8 yards per catch, 4.5% touchdown rate.

So yeah, I'd definitively say that Sharpe was significantly less efficient than both of them. Unless we're using catch percentage as the lone metric for efficiency.

Davis was arguably less efficient, but I'm willing to cut some slack given that he never got to work with Marcus before the season started due to Mariota missing OTA's and minicamp and CD missing all of training camp. I think we all saw that they were often not on the same page. Add in the nagging injuries for both of them and far and away the worst statistical season of Mariota's career, and you can at least try to explain away his struggles. Outside of being a fifth round pick (when I don't really know why it matters honestly), Sharpe came into an ideal situation to produce. Had the entire offseason to work with Marcus (and all reports indicated that the two had instant chemistry on the field), was given a starting spot over superior players, and played during Mariota's best statistical season, and he still managed to flop spectacularly.

So sharpe flopped ???‍♂️ In a run 1st offense as a #2 WR but clearly the 3rd option at best. Again let the kid develop, I ask how long did it take Antonio Brown to be a factor. ? 

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

So sharpe flopped ???‍♂️ In a run 1st offense as a #2 WR but clearly the 3rd option at best. Again let the kid develop, I ask how long did it take Antonio Brown to be a factor. ? 

1 year. He had 70 catches and 1,100 yards in his second year. A year he wasn't a full time starter. Only started 3 games that year.  

1 minute ago, TitanRedd said:

It took one year for AB to be a factor. And there's a real chance that's just because he didn't get any opportunities as a rookie. The first chance he got to play meaningful reps, he posted 1,100 yards in 16 games and three starts in his second year.

Just give me one plus attribute that Sharpe has without using an NFL Draft scouting report. That's what I'd like from anybody that expects him to ever be a useful NFL player. Tell me one thing you saw in 16 games and 83 targets that makes you think he can develop. Is it the absolute lack of explosiveness off the line and out of his cuts? Or the overall lack of downfield speed? Or the catch radius that is significantly smaller than anyone would expect from a 6'2, 200 pound professional athlete? Maybe the laziness to not finish his routes that led directly to two of Mariota's nine interceptions in 2015? The absolute inability to get any sort of separation from defenders? I wouldn't keep coming back to the efficiency stats if he had shown some traits that looked like they could be properly developed with coaching. But he has zero plus attributes. Nothing that separates him (both literally and figuratively) at the NFL level.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

This thread has reached maximum capacity!  :)

Conversation derail.....Would people rather keep this thread going, despite the size?  

I personally think this many pages is like ehhh...lol But that's me.

What do the people want?  Let the people decide....

Image result for judge gif

Has anyone watched All or Nothing...Dallas Cowboys? I ask because I binged it this weekend, and now I have a few thoughts on Dez....

1. First off I have never been a fan of his, nor have I ever considered him for our team.

2. He turned down a multi-year deal from Bal...preferring a 1 year prove it deal. Which I think is a great thing for whoever signs him.

3. We did not do anything of note to our receiving corps during the offseason....Sharpe or Taylor are our #3/4 options. Would Bryant be an upgrade...especially on a prove it deal?

4. If you saw All or Nothing there was an exchange at the end of the year between Bryant and Jourdan Lewis...They were going at it all practice, so Garrett gave them 1 ball to settle it, and Bryant was blanketed but would not be denied...and just attacked the ball!!! He still has some serious DOG in him.

5. On a prove it deal with us he would play the entire NFC East, to include MNF at Dallas!!

All that said...I would have to consider a 1 yr deal, we have the cap space, you could say we have the need, and if he is motivated, he would be a key piece.

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Conversation derail.....Would people rather keep this thread going, despite the size?  

I personally think this many pages is like ehhh...lol But that's me.

What do the people want?  Let the people decide....

Image result for judge gif

Keep it going!

I will say that at least on paper this has to be one of the deepest teams we've ever had. The only possible upgrade I could see is maybe adding another veteran WR, but I actually think Deontay Burnett could make the final 53 as the 5th or 6th receiver, so I almost don't want to add another vet that could potentially take reps away from him.  It's really incredible the job Jon has done in 3 years completely overhauling our roster. I'm trying not to get too hype about it though, because it feels too good to be true.

7 hours ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Has anyone watched All or Nothing...Dallas Cowboys? I ask because I binged it this weekend, and now I have a few thoughts on Dez....

1. First off I have never been a fan of his, nor have I ever considered him for our team.

2. He turned down a multi-year deal from Bal...preferring a 1 year prove it deal. Which I think is a great thing for whoever signs him.

3. We did not do anything of note to our receiving corps during the offseason....Sharpe or Taylor are our #3/4 options. Would Bryant be an upgrade...especially on a prove it deal?

4. If you saw All or Nothing there was an exchange at the end of the year between Bryant and Jourdan Lewis...They were going at it all practice, so Garrett gave them 1 ball to settle it, and Bryant was blanketed but would not be denied...and just attacked the ball!!! He still has some serious DOG in him.

5. On a prove it deal with us he would play the entire NFC East, to include MNF at Dallas!!

All that said...I would have to consider a 1 yr deal, we have the cap space, you could say we have the need, and if he is motivated, he would be a key piece.

Yea and his position coach (Dooley) looked absolutely suicidal the entire season. Dez is way too much of a headcase. He thinks he's a number one but he's a 2 at best. Unless we traded Mathews or something no reason to do it.

I think we desperately need another guy, but Dez is nowhere near my list. Heck, I'd consider Marshall way before I'd consider Dez (and I wouldn't really consider Marshall more than a couple seconds).

Maclin would be the only tried and tested  WR currently available in FA... Oh and Decker, I'd consider bringing him back.

But I hope they keep a close eye on that waiver wire and make a move like they did last year with Decker

Archived