The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

50 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

See, this stat has never really bothered me. If I could see a chart with yards per target and he was still last, I'd be concerned. I can't really find career numbers for it though (probably because targets is a relatively recent stat). For instance, Landry's last season with a competent quarterback, he averaged "only" 12.1 yards per reception. But he also finished ahead of Antonio Brown, OBJ, Jordy Nelson, Demaryius Thomas, Mike Evans and DeAndre Hopkins in yards per target. So while you weren't getting splash plays out of him, I'll take 8.7 yards when I throw it to my underneath and intermediate receiver all day.

This is the closest thing I could find...https://fantasydata.com/nfl-stats/player-details.aspx?playerid=16020-jarvis-landry-wr-miami-dolphins

Based off this, his career yards per target is 7.2. I honestly don't know how or where that ranks among other WRs.

For me(as has been said many times throughout this thread), it comes down to his asking price via his contract and potentially a trade. I believe he deserves the contract of a top tier RB(Devonta Freeman as the baseline), instead of a top tier WR. That'll never happen though.

I like Landry and I think we at least test the waters on a trade. Seeing these other trades this year I don't think it would take much to get him here. He's the perfect replacement for Decker. I just don't want to overpay for him both in the trade itself and money. Corey Davis, Landry and Mathews with Taylor and Sharpe coming off the bench looks like a pretty good WR group.

Given how much he wants to be paid, and that the Dolphins have no leverage at this point in any trade unless they have multiple bidders, I'd give a conditional 5th in 2019 that could move up a round if he has a solid year.

Otherwise best looking at FA.

I think we should re-sign Daquan Jones, Williamson, sign rb McKinnon,  wr Watkins, an OG (hopefully an improvement).  Draft Edge, G/C (not sold on Jones), and ILB (with coverage skills).  Would not mind picking up a NT somewhere along the way.  Try to trade Matthews & Murray.

Prospects I like so far:

Marcus Davenport Edge, UTSA

Billy Price G/C, OhioSt

Leighton Vander Eisch ILB, BoiseSt

I wrote the above before Davenport worked out and Price hurt himself.  Not real happy with Vander Esch 40 time.  We should also go for one of the better CB free agents.  Draft wise, Tony Brown looked good in workouts.

Price will probably drop.  Might get him in 2nd.  Lorenzo Carter has Keith Bulluck speed.  I like that Isaiah Wynn cans play multiple positions.  People say that Daniels may be best C.  Hernandez looked pretty good( built like a phone booth).  For a later round, DE I liked John Franklin.  

All the players between 25-64 look close in talent.  Maybe trade down from 1st and up from 3rd and pick 3 2nd rounders?

If you're resigning Williamson, there's not really a need for an ILB anymore. Woodyards coming off a career year, Jayon should see more snaps if anything, and Williamson if resigned will start. Thus a rookie ILB wouldn't have a clear shot at PT, and we're not really in a position to draft a LB to sit a year ala Keith Bulluck.

Also I'm going to be back ringing this bell again this draft season. I DO NOT want to trade down. I say it every year man. Quality over quantity. Everyone looks at the draft as christmas, and thus trading down is always enticing because you get more presents. Better odds to see your team draft that guy you like. I don't see it that way. IMO the only time trade downs are worth it is when your team is loaded and there for the extra picks help fill out the back end of your roster with cheap players you can develop for the future(ala the Patriots)... OR when your team is so void of talent that you're trying to parlay a top 5 pick into multiple top 50 picks because you need starters at multiple positions. (ala... us a few years back or the Browns) 

We are not in the former position yet but we have definitely escaped the latter. This team has been at or near the top in rookie snaps the past two seasons. This means we have a roster full of young experienced players.  One of the biggest problems is their aren't enough game changers on this roster. I am a proponent of a trade up this year more so than ever. We need an impact player in our front seven. That is the biggest need I see. I'd much rather trade up 10 spots and give our GM a better shot at selecting 'His Guy' at whatever position, than trade back 10 spots and hoping we can find another Kevin Byard with an additional mid round pick. 

24 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

If you're resigning Williamson, there's not really a need for an ILB anymore. Woodyards coming off a career year, Jayon should see more snaps if anything, and Williamson if resigned will start. Thus a rookie ILB wouldn't have a clear shot at PT, and we're not really in a position to draft a LB to sit a year ala Keith Bulluck.

Also I'm going to be back ringing this bell again this draft season. I DO NOT want to trade down. I say it every year man. Quality over quantity. Everyone looks at the draft as christmas, and thus trading down is always enticing because you get more presents. Better odds to see your team draft that guy you like. I don't see it that way. IMO the only time trade downs are worth it is when your team is loaded and there for the extra picks help fill out the back end of your roster with cheap players you can develop for the future(ala the Patriots)... OR when your team is so void of talent that you're trying to parlay a top 5 pick into multiple top 50 picks because you need starters at multiple positions. (ala... us a few years back or the Browns) 

We are not in the former position yet but we have definitely escaped the latter. This team has been at or near the top in rookie snaps the past two seasons. This means we have a roster full of young experienced players.  One of the biggest problems is their aren't enough game changers on this roster. I am a proponent of a trade up this year more so than ever. We need an impact player in our front seven. That is the biggest need I see. I'd much rather trade up 10 spots and give our GM a better shot at selecting 'His Guy' at whatever position, than trade back 10 spots and hoping we can find another Kevin Byard with an additional mid round pick. 

If anything I'm thinking this might be the year to trade up.  We don't need rookie help, we need impact help. 
That to me means, we don't need random 4th or 5th round rookies. 

30 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

JLC is reporting Watkins will not be tagged

This isn't the year to try to find a game changing WR to me. I think it's the year to find a good #2 or #3.  I don't want to pay Watkins, don't wanna trade for Landry and I'd be ok with paying Robinson.

Davis, Sharpe, Matthews, Taylor and a good FA would make me feel comfortable with our WR core. Not ecstatic, but comfortable.

Also, I don't trust JLC to tell me if it's raining during a hurricane. (did that make sense? lol)

Archived