The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

5 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Blah Matthews is trash

How is he trash when he had only 1 bad yr of his career playing wit knee & ankle injuries ? but outside of Matthews our entire WR Corp is a ? Mark.. I see this every yr, a player has a down yr oh he’s garbage but goes to another team or plays next season & is productive. When healthy he’s a slot WR that can separate & gets it done.

LOL

Are we just calling people trash, garbage, meh for the fun of it now a days? :)

Up until last year (Injury filled year)  He was a 60 plus catch guy with over 800 yards in his first 3 seasons. Would have made him maybe the GOAT Titan's WR ever. lol  I say that sarcastically but are we just poopooin' that just because?

I guess people cite his drops in Philly. But his production still is valuable as a 3rd/4th WR. 

9 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

LOL

Are we just calling people trash, garbage, meh for the fun of it now a days? :)

Up until last year (Injury filled year)  He was a 60 plus catch guy with over 800 yards in his first 3 seasons. Would have made him maybe the GOAT Titan's WR ever. lol  I say that sarcastically but are we just poopooin' that just because?

I guess people cite his drops in Philly. But his production still is valuable as a 3rd/4th WR. 

& he still young, ??‍♂️??‍♂️

20 hours ago, VY said:

Think he'd be an upgrade iver Decker honestly. If he ends the year inside our top 2 WRs for yards either he's killed it or we've got some issues. At the right price this could be areally solid move. Good to have competitive talent like Mathews over somebody like Harry Douglas.

Did he end the year injured? Surprised he's lasted this long / had so many visits. 

He hasn't signed because teams know he's not that good, and therefore his offers haven't reflected what he thinks he's worth. He's a big, relatively slow, slot WR who lacks explosiveness in a league where alot teams value smaller, quicker, WR's in the slot. He's also had drop issues on top of injury issues.

No surprise why he's unsigned. I don't see him as an upgrade from Decker in any way expect age, and considering any interest in him would likely be 1 year anyways, that shouldn't matter much. Had Mathews played at Wake Forest instead of Vanderbilt this wouldn't be a debate.

Then there's the biggest reason this is silly to me... does Mathews play special teams? Because he's walking onto this roster as the 4th or 5th guy. And that guy HAS to play teams. My guess is this was kicking the tires in the event they have an injury. Michael Campanaro might actually get signed as a guy to replace Eric Weems in his ST's role

24 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

He hasn't signed because teams know he's not that good, and therefore his offers haven't reflected what he thinks he's worth. He's a big, relatively slow, slot WR who lacks explosiveness in a league where alot teams value smaller, quicker, WR's in the slot. He's also had drop issues on top of injury issues.

No surprise why he's unsigned. I don't see him as an upgrade from Decker in any way expect age, and considering any interest in him would likely be 1 year anyways, that shouldn't matter much. Had Mathews played at Wake Forest instead of Vanderbilt this wouldn't be a debate.

Then there's the biggest reason this is silly to me... does Mathews play special teams? Because he's walking onto this roster as the 4th or 5th guy. And that guy HAS to play teams. My guess is this was kicking the tires in the event they have an injury. Michael Campanaro might actually get signed as a guy to replace Eric Weems in his ST's role

Dude... his numbers in years 1-3 are better than anybody we have on our roster (including Rishard, sadly). He can contribute, and at the very least push these younger guys who haven't proven anything  yet. 

Also, the only WR's we had that played significant ST's snaps were Weems and Taywan. Weems could very well be replaced by Campanaro (or some other replacement level guy) and Taywan could probably play another year of STs at this point. DBs and LBs much more important in ST coverage than WRs these days. Not that this looks a ton better, but I'd feel more comfortable with 2018 with a few vets supporting.

2017: Mathews / Decker / Davis / Taylor / Weems / Douglas

2018: Mathews / Davis / Sharpe / Taylor / Jordan Matthews / Campanaro (or similar)

Replacing J-Matthews with a drafted WR may yield more potential, but we have enough of that in Davis/Sharpe/Taylor. We need production and experience when it comes down to it. Matthews had a much better 40 than Jarvis Landry (who is slow as hell), so in the right offense I'm sure he'd do fine. 

1 hour ago, VY said:

Dude... his numbers in years 1-3 are better than anybody we have on our roster (including Rishard, sadly). He can contribute, and at the very least push these younger guys who haven't proven anything  yet. 

Also, the only WR's we had that played significant ST's snaps were Weems and Taywan. Weems could very well be replaced by Campanaro (or some other replacement level guy) and Taywan could probably play another year of STs at this point. DBs and LBs much more important in ST coverage than WRs these days. Not that this looks a ton better, but I'd feel more comfortable with 2018 with a few vets supporting.

2017: Mathews / Decker / Davis / Taylor / Weems / Douglas

2018: Mathews / Davis / Sharpe / Taylor / Jordan Matthews / Campanaro (or similar)

Replacing J-Matthews with a drafted WR may yield more potential, but we have enough of that in Davis/Sharpe/Taylor. We need production and experience when it comes down to it. Matthews had a much better 40 than Jarvis Landry (who is slow as hell), so in the right offense I'm sure he'd do fine. 

I don't care about numbers several years and several injuries ago. Its about skill set and what he adds.

Like I said the 4th and 5th guys HAVE to play teams. who did you highlight, the 4th and 5th WR last season.

HE's just not that great, if we have a camp injury and sign him fine, but I see no reason to add his skill set at this point. At least a guy like Maclin can still run. 

What does Jarvis Landry have to do with anything?!? But if you're equating ability purely off 40 times, then there's not much to say. Are you trying to imply that Mathews is better than Landry? Landry plays WAY faster than his 40 time shows. I would bet money in Landry over Mathews in a foot race. Not to mention Landry has elite lateral quickness and explosion. two qualities that Mathews lacks. Then there's the fact Jordan Mathews has stone hands...

32 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

HE's just not that great, if we have a camp injury and sign him fine, but I see no reason to add his skill set at this point. At least a guy like Maclin can still run. 

What does Jarvis Landry have to do with anything?!?

I don't think anyone has said he's great... he's not... but he certainly has the chance to be a good 3rd option for us... with the potential to be Rishard's replacement next season (and hopefully Taywan develops as well).  As far as the 4th and 5th WRs playing STs... I agree... but we have Taywan playing STs, so that's one... and it's not like Sharpe plays ST's (one of my biggest gripes about him being "good" depth)... so I'm a lot more comfortable with a non ST's Matthews as my 3rd than I would Sharpe.  So it'd come down to Sharpe or another 5th WR option who can play STs...

I'll take - Davis, R. Matthews, J. Matthews, Taylor, and a mid/late round rookie WR who can play STs over Davis, R. Matthews, Taylor, Sharpe, and a mid/late round rookie WR who can play STs.  

I thought about the Landry comparison as well... and again, I don't think anyone saying he's anywhere near that level a player... but they'd play a similar role in this offense... a guy who can play the middle of the field and get us 1st downs.  Landry is obviously the better player, and has put up the better bulk stats.... but they're not that far off, especially when you look at efficiency stats... 

• Landry - 6.3 r/g, 63.1 y/g, 70% catch %, 10.1 ypr, 5.5/3.9 TD % (per rec/per target), 55%/38.6% 1st D % (per rec/per target) 
  • Matthews - 4.5 r/g, 52.8 y/g (closer #'s 4.9, 58.1 if you were to exclude his lone season in Buff), 65% catch %, 11.8 ypr, 8.0%/5.2 %TD %, 55%/36% 1st D % 

I'd easily take that at 3 year/15-18M

I would rather have Jordan Matthews than Eric Decker. He is younger and I think would be a decent add for a decent price. There is no better free agent WR left out there to me Jordan Matthews is the best of what is left.

Archived