The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Coley isn’t on the practice squad. 

Treadwell still has 2, possibly 3, years remainingnon his contract. It makes little, to no, sense to move him when Floyd, and probably Wright, won’t be on the team in 2018. 

Agreed on all points.  You have to just hope that Treadwell does improve...and if he doesn't improve significantly by the end of next season, then they don't pick up his 5th year option and let him walk after 2019.  

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Coley isn’t on the practice squad. 

*blush*

Still, my point remains that eventually you need to decide whether it is worth hanging onto a guy just because of past investment when he isn't showing even flashes of being able to help the team. At some point you have to consider whether it would be more valuable to use the roster spot on someone else. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

As fas as next year, I don't know that it matters whether Floyd or Wright will be around. If you don't think that Treadwell will be able to help you next year you don't keep him just because two other guys aren't under contract. Instead, you find someone that can help. All three of Wright, Floyd, and Treadwell may be options. You have to consider that none of the three would be your best option. Would be great to see Floyd, Treadwell, Wright, or one of the young guys assert themselves. To this point, Treadwell and Floyd have done less than Wright IMO and I am no supporter of keeping Wright.

Regardless of whether Treadwell significantly improves or not, I just don't think you put much emphasis on necessarily improving the depth of the WR core.  If a late round draftee or UDFA beats him out in camp, so be it...but I personally don't care all that highly about the position at this point, as there is pretty good depth and potential outside of Treadwell, so I'm not going to worry about it all that much.  There are other positions, namely offensive line, defensive line and defensive backs where depth needs to be filled out, since there are going to be several players at those positions that are slated to either retire or be free agents at the end of this year.  

I can't believe people are so down on Treadwell. I haven't seen any one say it directly but are some people expecting Floyd to come in and put up Diggs/Thielen like games or just looking for more production out of WR3? Treadwell is one of the youngest players on the roster and on a cheap rookie deal. 

Out of 133 targets, 81 have gone to WRs. 64 of those have gone to Diggs and Thielen at 32 a piece, 17 to TEs, and 31 to RBs (16 to Cook). From what I've heard from some on here is that #11 is getting open but he just isn't getting thrown the ball. I'm all for putting the best offense out there but I guess I'll be surprised if Floyd comes in and starts lighting it up. With Cook out, however, there will be more targets so who knows what'll happen. Are we this down on him if the PI gets called in the Lions game and we score a TD? 

When Floyd returns, I think more teams will be concerned of the third WR, which will help Diggs and Thielen out. 

Floyd has shown that he can be a vertical threat, jump ball receiver. Especially more than Treadwell.

i do expect the third WR numbers to improve somewhat dramatically when Floyd returns. Treadwell has just a handful of catches in four games, no long catches either. I see upside here for the passing offense but I don't expect Floyd to put up Diggs/Thielen numbers, that's not realistic. But even 2-3 catches per game, and a big play every other week would be significantly better than what Treadwell has been providing.

when Floyd returns, who becomes inactive on game day? Wright or Treadwell? 

Wright would be the inactive receiver, in my opinion. He’s a slot only receiver, and both Diggs and Thielen can play well from the slot. 

A four man group of Floyd and Treadwell on the outside, with Diggs and Thielen in the slots offers a much greater chance at creating matchup problems than if you slide Wright in there. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

When Floyd returns, I think more teams will be concerned of the third WR, which will help Diggs and Thielen out. 

Floyd has shown that he can be a vertical threat, jump ball receiver. Especially more than Treadwell.

i do expect the third WR numbers to improve somewhat dramatically when Floyd returns. Treadwell has just a handful of catches in four games, no long catches either. I see upside here for the passing offense but I don't expect Floyd to put up Diggs/Thielen numbers, that's not realistic. But even 2-3 catches per game, and a big play every other week would be significantly better than what Treadwell has been providing.

when Floyd returns, who becomes inactive on game day? Wright or Treadwell? 

My opinion is that Bradford/Keenum aren't very effective at targeting the slot receiver.  Both are always going to look for Rudolph in the red zone.  I don't expect Floyd to have many more targets then Treadwell or Wright.

48 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Wright would be the inactive receiver, in my opinion. He’s a slot only receiver, and both Diggs and Thielen can play well from the slot. 

A four man group of Floyd and Treadwell on the outside, with Diggs and Thielen in the slots offers a much greater chance at creating matchup problems than if you slide Wright in there. 

I think Treadwell may end up being more of a slot receiver. I just haven't seen much to suggest he will be a starting caliber boundary WR. His blocking ability and possession skill set probably suits him best in the slot anyway.

23 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

My opinion is that Bradford/Keenum aren't very effective at targeting the slot receiver.  Both are always going to look for Rudolph in the red zone.  I don't expect Floyd to have many more targets then Treadwell or Wright.

Floyd wouldn't play in the slot. I'd expect Diggs or Thielen to move to the slot when Floyd comes onto the field.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

According to Football Outsiders, Bradford targeted the slot 216 times in 2016 compared to 146 passes out wide. There was more success outside, but I'd disagree that he's not targeting the slot.

That doesn't really matter in the Floyd discussion though, because as others have mentioned, Floyd won't usually be in the slot.

The thing about Floyd that gets me excited is his big play potential over Treadwell. I don't watch any all-22, but I have a feeling most of Treadwell's success this year has been underneath.

While Diggs and Thielen have had some success over the top, that's where Floyd can really make an impact. With an improved OL and a better downfield weapon, I'm hopeful we can go for some big plays even more often.

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

The thing about Floyd that gets me excited is his big play potential over Treadwell. I don't watch any all-22, but I have a feeling most of Treadwell's success this year has been underneath.

While Diggs and Thielen have had some success over the top, that's where Floyd can really make an impact. With an improved OL and a better downfield weapon, I'm hopeful we can go for some big plays even more often.

Exactly. Floyd is a much more dangerous receiver than Treadwell. If Treadwell is successful as the next level, it will be because he develops into an Anquan Boldin type possession receiver. Not a bad player but not the type that makes explosive downfield catches.

what I love about the trio of Diggs, Thielen and Floyd is for the potential to make plays down the field. All three have shown an ability to get behind the defense. Diggs is probably the closest to a possession/underneath target of this group. 

Archived