The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

Give him some time. I think all of us are at fault for expecting instant results out of a player.

He's getting open, he's running adequate routes, he can run block. We haven't seen much of him boxing out defenders or making contested catches but those opportunities will come.

His biggest issue might be that he's stuck behind a top 15 and a top 20 WR.

Treadwell looked okay in today's game. There were a couple of deeper shots to him, the one was underthrown and the other he was interfered with (not like it was called). I think that he'll develop into a solid receiver, but since he doesn't have one completely standout skill, like amazing at jump balls or super fast or super shifty, he's the type of WR that will need time to develop and probably have consistent QB play before we really see him come into his own, and being behind Diggs and Thielen doesn't help him look any better.

On 9/30/2017 at 10:57 PM, Heimdallr said:

Even if Treadwell doesn't do anything this year, I'd still give him all of next year before making any decisions 

He's only in his 2nd year.  There's no decision that needs to be made on him until 2019, when his 5th year option decision comes up.  It's still way too early to consider pulling the plug on him.  Even the Bills waited until Year 4 of Sammy Watkins to move him.  You don't pull a Browns move and willingly give away a guy in his rookie deal.   

15 minutes ago, disaacs said:

He's only in his 2nd year.  There's no decision that needs to be made on him until 2019, when his 5th year option decision comes up.  It's still way too early to consider pulling the plug on him.  Even the Bills waited until Year 4 of Sammy Watkins to move him.  You don't pull a Browns move and willingly give away a guy in his rookie deal.   

Hard to compare the two situations. Watkins wasn't traded due to a lack of ability. He had major durability concerns. Treadwell isn't producing and there are serious questions if he can ever be a top two WR on this team who is ahead of him.

trading Treadwell makes sense if you love Diggs and Thielen as long term starters. Otherwise, we may be wasting value on a 3rd/4th WR who may be a starter on some other team.

i don't think Shurmur uses his third WR as much as the second TE.

We are running far more 3 receiver formations than 2 tight end formations. 

Treadwell doesn’t need to be a top 2 receiver. Yes, it would have been nice, but he’s still very young and could continue to develop and give the Vikings a top trio receiving corps for years. Floyd isn’t likely to be around next year. 

It doesn’t make sense to me to trade a talented, young player at a position where there’s a history of injury (Diggs), and where you really need 3-4 reliable players. 

To me, trading Treadwell now would be selling low. I can't imagine teams would give up a whole lot for it right now so we might as well hang on to him. I think he can still develop into a solid WR , but like like someone else said, he's not elite at any 1 thing so he will need to be more all around developed for him to be a difference maker

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

No point in trying to Treadwell now. We'll be lucky to get a 5th

Which might be much more than we could get two years from now if nothing changes.

I'd prefer to shop Floyd around now that he has served his suspension. Given the weakness at RB and lack of draft picks going into 2018, I'd like to get something for Floyd or Wright, or Treadwell if the price is right. 

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Which might be much more than we could get two years from now if nothing changes.

I'd prefer to shop Floyd around now that he has served his suspension. Given the weakness at RB and lack of draft picks going into 2018, I'd like to get something for Floyd or Wright, or Treadwell if the price is right. 

Treadwell - 5th

Floyd - Conditional 7th

Wright - nothing

13 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The way teams value draft picks, it's unlikely they'd get more than a 6th or 7th for him at this point...if nothing changes, that's not that much of a loss. 

7 hours ago, disaacs said:

The way teams value draft picks, it's unlikely they'd get more than a 6th or 7th for him at this point...if nothing changes, that's not that much of a loss. 

I agree that the Vikings wouldn't get much for Treadwell. It is a sad testament to how little he has shown through his first 1.25 seasons.

At some point, you have to wonder whether the roster space would be better used on someone else like Coley. For the Vikings, they point will come if another team wants to sign Coley off the practice squad. If Treadwell wants to stick in the NFL he better really be putting the work in now so that he can show something ASAP. There is no telling how much time he has left to show something.

I question I've thought about is if Coley/Wright can provide the offense with the same production and impact as Treadwell/Wright. I know we get Floyd back but it's hard to see a noticeable decline given the lack of targets Treadwell gets in this offense. Maybe that will improve? MN has 7 WRs and need 1 RB. Something has to give. 

5 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

For the Vikings, they point will come if another team wants to sign Coley off the practice squad.

Coley isn’t on the practice squad. 

Treadwell still has 2, possibly 3, years remainingnon his contract. It makes little, to no, sense to move him when Floyd, and probably Wright, won’t be on the team in 2018. 

Archived