Worse play by a safety: Markus Williams yesterday or Rahim Moore in 2012?

Bolts223

I can see the argument for both:

The argument for Markus Williams is that he not only completely whiffed on his tackle (Which could've potentially ended the game), but he took out the only other defender that would have had a chance to stop Diggs before getting into the endzone.

Rahim Moore: The intentions behind Moore's blunder were much worse. With Markus Williams you can at least make the argument that he was trying to avoid getting a Personal Foul/PI penalty which would result in the Vikings having a chance for a game winning FG. With Rahim Moore, he selfishly tried to go for the interception when all he needed to do was make sure that Jacoby Jones couldn't get behind him and try to knock the ball away.

Which play do you guys think was a bigger blunder?

15 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Williams is worse. The ball was right in front of him. Let him catch it, make the tackle and its over

I do feel bad for him though because i expect to hear an ESPN report that he and his family will be receiving death threats or something terrible

its not over though, that was right at the sideline. theres a very decent chance diggs gets out and the kicker wins it anyway. 5 minutes earlier he banged one that wouldve been good from 60.

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

its not over though, that was right at the sideline. theres a very decent chance diggs gets out and the kicker wins it anyway. 5 minutes earlier he banged one that wouldve been good from 60.

I think he could have kept him in bounds and that would have likely milked the clock

23 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think he could have kept him in bounds and that would have likely milked the clock

my understanding of teh rule is that if diggs were to lunge and only get the ball out of bounds, teh clock is stopped. It would have been an incredibly difficult task for williams to stop that given he was 2-3 ft away, and pretty unlikely.

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

my understanding of teh rule is that if diggs were to lunge and only get the ball out of bounds, teh clock is stopped. It would have been an incredibly difficult task for williams to stop that given he was 2-3 ft away, and pretty unlikely.

The ruling on whether or not a guy gets out of bounds and stops the clock baffles me because it seems like different refs call it differently

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Williams is worse. The ball was right in front of him. Let him catch it, make the tackle and its over

I do feel bad for him though because i expect to hear an ESPN report that he and his family will be receiving death threats or something terrible

Agreed. All he had to do was hit him, even just a little, to throw him off off-balance a bit to give his guy guarding the boundary a second chance to make the tackle and end the game. 

And yes, it's sad to think about the amount of threats that he and his family have probably received over that one mistake.

Depends on how you look at it. I could see it argued either way. I think that Moore's play was an actual worse football play. Flacco's pass hung in the air for a very long time, Moore had his eyes on it more than long enough to judge where it was going, and he really didn't even get close to touching the ball. Like he had plenty of time to track that ball and just missed it. Williams made a somewhat more common mistake, IMO, where he basically just took his eyes off the target far too early, and tried to tackle where he thought the WR would end up, instead of where the WR does. At the time Williams went head down, Diggs looked like he was speeding up a bit to the sideline, then he didn't. So in that sense, I think the Williams play is a little more forgivable, just because tracking a player is less predictable than tracking the ball. But on the other hand, Williams's whiff ended the game then and there. It was a walk off screw up. For Moore, Denver's offense touched the ball 3 more times after that. The defense got stops twice. The offense gets the job done and the Mile High Miracle is a what could've been question. So Moore's was a less impactful screw up, in that sense.

Personally I'd say Moore's was worse. But I could see it either way.

8 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Only if he's able to do that before his knee/elbow/whatever is down. Which is kind of difficult physically to do. Legally if any part of you or the ball touches out of bounds before you're down, you're out of bounds.

Archived