NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, Acrid Josher said:

Yes. From Determinants of Success in the National Football League's Postseason (Also titled How important is Previous Playoff Experience?) by Dr. Joshua Pitts published in the Journal of Sports Economics in 2014.

Thanks! Very interesting. Another thing I wonder about is the impact of "years of NFL experience" correlating to playoff wins. Do older, more mature players handle playoff pressure better or worse than younger players? In WW II men were not allowed to be fighter pilots past the age of 26. At 26 they began to think too much and hesitated before acting in battle, often with fatal results. This sort of information might be useful in roster building. 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Thanks! Very interesting. Another thing I wonder about is the impact of "years of NFL experience" correlating to playoff wins. Do older, more mature players handle playoff pressure better or worse than younger players? In WW II men were not allowed to be fighter pilots past the age of 26. At 26 they began to think too much and hesitated before acting in battle, often with fatal results. This sort of information might be useful in roster building. 

Your reaction time also decreases.  So while the 28 year old pilot may know more, the 20 year old processes what is happening much faster.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Your reaction time also decreases.  So while the 28 year old pilot may know more, the 20 year old processes what is happening much faster.

Very true. So skill positions one would want to keep 26 and younger, maybe 27 at most. So only rare skill guys should get a second contract. Linemen maybe into their early 30's. So they should get a second contract, if they're healthy. QB's seem to be able to adjust their game and go to 40-ish. Someone could make a living looking at production curves over time.

18 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Very true. So skill positions one would want to keep 26 and younger, maybe 27 at most. So only rare skill guys should get a second contract. Linemen maybe into their early 30's. So they should get a second contract, if they're healthy. QB's seem to be able to adjust their game and go to 40-ish. Someone could make a living looking at production curves over time.

I agree with most of that.  I would say only rare skill guys should get a third contract.  I would say you try to re-sign your players that are not below average to a second contract.  Only a star player should be getting a third, and many of them really don't live up to that third contract by the end of that term.

Kudos to:

The Nick Foles led Eagles for traveling cross country and beating the Rams. Didnt see that one happening. The LAR better be careful. Another loss paired with a CHI win could put them back in the CHI cold in the playoffs....and apparently, they dont like that. 

Also to the Niners who beat a worn out division foe in a game that didnt matter to them - or more precisely put, to anybody but the players. You play to win...and they did.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Kudos to:

The Nick Foles led Eagles for traveling cross country and beating the Rams. Didnt see that one happening. The LAR better be careful. Another loss paired with a CHI win could put them back in the CHI cold in the playoffs....and apparently, they dont like that. 

Also to the Niners who beat a worn out division foe in a game that didnt matter to them - or more precisely put, to anybody but the players. You play to win...and they did.

I saw where Goff has really, really fell off of the cliff recently.  Did the NFL catch up to the Rams offense?

Just now, vegas492 said:

I saw where Goff has really, really fell off of the cliff recently.  Did the NFL catch up to the Rams offense?

Young dreamy offensive minded head coach though.  I'm not saying for sure that teams have figured out the Rams offense, but this is exactly what I was preaching while defending McCarthy.  These head coaches all look fantastic for a while, but once the NFL actually gets a good look at them, they aren't always all that great. 

Scheme doesn't matter, it's all about execution.  Rams aren't executing right now with Gurley/Cooks/Woods/Goff/etc.  We aren't executing with Philbin, either. 

For the record since some people here are mouthbreathers, I'm not saying we should have kept McCarthy.  It was clear after the Cardinals game our players just didn't have it anymore playing for him.

However, McCarthy's scheme was fine, would have been better with more talent.  Nobody knows what in the hell they're talking about when they say we need to scheme guys open, and that sounds absolutely stupid.  Scheme guys open because there are some schemes out there designed to not have guys open? 

We had a good coach who was proven capable of taking this team far when it had talent and we let him go because our untalented team lost faith in him.  End of rant. 

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Young dreamy offensive minded head coach though.  I'm not saying for sure that teams have figured out the Rams offense, but this is exactly what I was preaching while defending McCarthy.  These head coaches all look fantastic for a while, but once the NFL actually gets a good look at them, they aren't always all that great. 

Scheme doesn't matter, it's all about execution.  Rams aren't executing right now with Gurley/Cooks/Woods/Goff/etc.  We aren't executing with Philbin, either. 

For the record since some people here are mouthbreathers, I'm not saying we should have kept McCarthy.  It was clear after the Cardinals game our players just didn't have it anymore playing for him.

However, McCarthy's scheme was fine, would have been better with more talent.  Nobody knows what in the hell they're talking about when they say we need to scheme guys open, and that sounds absolutely stupid.  Scheme guys open because there are some schemes out there designed to not have guys open? 

We had a good coach who was proven capable of taking this team far when it had talent and we let him go because our untalented team lost faith in him.  End of rant. 

I think you are pretty much spot on there, Outpost.  I was more about "scheme" than "players".  Now I'm starting to sing a different tune.  And it will be interesting to see if the "young dreamy coach" can get his offense and QB going again.

Quick question for you...and anyone else who wants to join in...  Quickest way to turn around our offense....WR?  Or RB to pair with Jones?  As in a higher drafted stud.  Not necessarily a round one RB, but one taken with one of our first 4 picks....

I ask because I think it is easier to assimilate a RB than a WR...with a draft pick.  

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think you are pretty much spot on there, Outpost.  I was more about "scheme" than "players".  Now I'm starting to sing a different tune.  And it will be interesting to see if the "young dreamy coach" can get his offense and QB going again.

Quick question for you...and anyone else who wants to join in...  Quickest way to turn around our offense....WR?  Or RB to pair with Jones?  As in a higher drafted stud.  Not necessarily a round one RB, but one taken with one of our first 4 picks....

I ask because I think it is easier to assimilate a RB than a WR...with a draft pick.  

1.  Get the QB back on track. 

2.  Improve the interior offensive line.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'm coming around to the idea that the 36 year old Rodgers isn't ever going to be the 26 year old Rodgers. Time to restyle the offense to accommodate Rodgers' high football IQ and lesser arm. To that end, I would buck up the interior O-line with some good run blockers, draft a monster RB like Barkley, and build a smash mouth offense predicated on the running game and a short passing game. No need to add more than a B-level FA WR, or re-sign Cobb. Then back that up with a shut down defense. Back to the old black and blue division!

• Like 1