NFL News & Notes

Leader

I doubt most NFL players are any more aware of NFL history than a typical fan.  If Metcalf had listed those same names with Rice and Moss and #1/#2 and the other three in any order, I would figure that sounds about right for what a typical 25 year old fan would come up with.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I doubt most NFL players are any more aware of NFL history than a typical fan.  If Metcalf had listed those same names with Rice and Moss and #1/#2 and the other three in any order, I would figure that sounds about right for what a typical 25 year old fan would come up with.

Still don't get AB or Julio? Calvin Johnson was a lot better than both of them. Two more good years out of Vante and he passes both of them also. 

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans are expected to sign free agent wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to a two-year deal worth up to $15 million, sources told ESPN's Dianna Russini.

The deal, which is expected to be complete over the next few days, will give Hopkins a base salary in the first year of $12 million, which could reach $15 million with incentives, sources told Russini.

About a month away from my first fantasy draft, so have to start paying attention to this stuff. 

Cook and Elliott still unsigned?

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Still don't get AB or Julio? Calvin Johnson was a lot better than both of them. Two more good years out of Vante and he passes both of them also. 

Nard Drop years and both Megatron and Julio were in SEC schools that weren't Mississippi.

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

About a month away from my first fantasy draft, so have to start paying attention to this stuff. 

Cook and Elliott still unsigned?

Does anyone else kind of miss the pre-internet fantasy drafts where it was done on paper, and the entire league had to get together face to face? 

Anyone who auto-drafts should forfeit their first two picks.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does anyone else kind of miss the pre-internet fantasy drafts where it was done on paper, and the entire league had to get together face to face? 

Anyone who auto-drafts should forfeit their first two picks.

I'm still in one of those leagues. Still have a couple people who show up with a magazine. Most have a laptop. The draft gets done on paper first and then the commissioner enters everything on Yahoo. 

3 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

I'm still in one of those leagues. Still have a couple people who show up with a magazine. Most have a laptop. The draft gets done on paper first and then the commissioner enters everything on Yahoo. 

We still do ours that way.  It's fun .. we have a cookout and load of laughs.  I think this particular league dates back around 25 years.  Most show up with a printout of players or a magazine, but some use a laptop now.  One of our long timers moved to Seattle and he made his picks last year thru text messages.  I'm the commish and I enter it in afterwards.  It used to be really laborious, but ESPN made the entering much easier in recent years.  We've been using ESPN for 17 or 18 years.  

Been quite a few years since I've had a fantasy team.  But, I helped my owner win our FF league two years ago.  Swung a trade to a guy who really, really wanted Damien Harris and Terry McLaurin.  We got Kareem Hunt, CC Lamb, and Davante Adams for Harris and McLaurin.

We already had Taylor as our RB and Tyreke Hill at HR.  And we picked up Kittle.

Prior to that?  I was in a very old league with my best friend.  It was a keeper league with a salary cap.  I forget the rules, but we had won the league like 2 of 3 years.  We had Faulk and James as our RB's.  Harrison and Holt at WR.  We were weak at QB, but then Brady was injured.  We picked him up for 5 years, $5 total.   We had all the cap we needed to buy the best free agents, because we payed our top QB nothing.  And we had great young kids on rookie deals.

We won the next 3 years in a row and the way the rules worked, we could franchise Brady for 3 years, but his salary would be 1.5X what it was the year prior.  So he was going to be cheap for a long time.

Then the league folded.  LOL.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Been quite a few years since I've had a fantasy team.  But, I helped my owner win our FF league two years ago.  Swung a trade to a guy who really, really wanted Damien Harris and Terry McLaurin.  We got Kareem Hunt, CC Lamb, and Davante Adams for Harris and McLaurin.

We already had Taylor as our RB and Tyreke Hill at HR.  And we picked up Kittle.

Prior to that?  I was in a very old league with my best friend.  It was a keeper league with a salary cap.  I forget the rules, but we had won the league like 2 of 3 years.  We had Faulk and James as our RB's.  Harrison and Holt at WR.  We were weak at QB, but then Brady was injured.  We picked him up for 5 years, $5 total.   We had all the cap we needed to buy the best free agents, because we payed our top QB nothing.  And we had great young kids on rookie deals.

We won the next 3 years in a row and the way the rules worked, we could franchise Brady for 3 years, but his salary would be 1.5X what it was the year prior.  So he was going to be cheap for a long time.

Then the league folded.  LOL.

Somebody better call Jim Caviezel

• Like 1

Just some dead zone thoughts:

Parity is the norm in the NFL. Last year three 9-8 teams and one 8-9 team made the playoffs. Parity does not apply, however,  when it comes to winning Super Bowls. 

There are currently 10 NFL teams that have gone 50+ years without winning a Super Bowl. (Cardinals, Lions, Vikings, Browns, Chargers, Bills, Oilers/Titans, Falcons, Bengals, Jets).

Conversely, there are 10 NFL teams that have won 42 of the 57 Super Bowls (Steelers (6), Patriots (6), 49ers (5), Cowboys (5), Giants (4), Packers (4), Chiefs (3), Broncos (3), Redskins (3), Raiders (3). 

• Like 2