NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Could Lance be on the move?

I don't think "he's a good backup" is even an argument for Lance at this point.  The argument for him was never "he is good at football" but "he has very good tools for the position".  He's probably the rawest QB prospect in history.  Like the argument for "Draft Lance" is similar to the argument for Anthony Richardson but Trey Lance attempted 99 passes in High School and 318 in college.versus 527 and 393 for Richardson.

The question of "who wants Lance" it's "who has time for a project that's on an awkward timetable as is".  Like he's a free agent in 2025 and he'll be 25 years old for that season.  I think that's the time a team would take a chance on him.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think "he's a good backup" is even an argument for Lance at this point.  The argument for him was never "he is good at football" but "he has very good tools for the position".  He's probably the rawest QB prospect in history.  Like the argument for "Draft Lance" is similar to the argument for Anthony Richardson but Trey Lance attempted 99 passes in High School and 318 in college.versus 527 and 393 for Richardson.

The question of "who wants Lance" it's "who has time for a project that's on an awkward timetable as is".  Like he's a free agent in 2025 and he'll be 25 years old for that season.  I think that's the time a team would take a chance on him.

Lance needs reps.  I could see some team...Arizona,  Minnesota,  Miami, LAR... that might do a 

6th for Lance + a 7th type trade. 

Maybe some conditions on the pick about game day active roster

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Lance is going to cost you about $10m against the cap the next couple years.  The teams that have that cash to burn, and the opportunity to devote reps to a project can't be that numerous.

Lance signing bonus would stay with SF, so the cap hits are

2023:  $3.8M
2024:  $5.3M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Lance needs reps.  I could see some team...Arizona,  Minnesota,  Miami, LAR... that might do a 

6th for Lance + a 7th type trade. 

Maybe some conditions on the pick about game day active roster

He's got to go to a team that can sit him and let him learn. I wouldn't want him to learn from Kyler Murray. I don't see Miami as a landing spot because they believe in Tua, concussions and all. Rams and Vikings make a ton of sense. 

They need to give this kid two years to sit and learn, but his lack of actual playing time at quarterback anywhere is a problem he may not ever overcome. 

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Hard to imagine any team wanting to give up anything for Lance at this point and time.

Maybe Tampa would flip them a mid rounder.

Everything just broke wrong for the poor kid - sits for a year, and finally gets his chance to start, only to be derailed by an injury and then Mr Irrelevant comes in and becomes the darling of the franchise. 

Lance needed PT, which was supposed to come last year, and just didn't get it. 

My package for Rodgers from the 9ers required (two firsts and Lance, or a first and Deebo/AIyuk and Lance) Lance as a throw-in, because I think there's some intriguing talent there and no way would he have started in front of Love this year, so GB would've been able to get a great look at him in preseason, practice, and garbage time. 

10 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I would hate it, but it is one of the most likely outcomes. Hope it at least strings out past week one. 

JT is good, but if they meet the colts asking price and then JTs asking price. Yeah that's a win.. 

Plus, until Fields proves it. I'm loading up and making ol buddy beat me deep.  Idk what Barry will do but seems pretty straight forward.

16 hours ago, R T said:

Imagine the meltdown in Packerland if Gutes had traded the 12th overall pick in the draft and two more future 1st along with a 3rd for a deal sweetener to draft Lance.

Packer fans have lost their **** for the last three years over Gutes using a 4th rounder to trade up to land Love. 

That's because our front office is terrible and our roster now reflects that fact.