NFL News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, Eternal said:

49ers are lucky they got Brock Purdy. He helps negate that horrible Lance trade if he pans out long term. Imagine how the 49ers could look if they kept those picks and had Lance.

Assume you meant Purdy and that was a typo. I get your point and the league is lucky they didn't. 

I don't think Purdy is going to be a one-year wonder and the 49ers roster is loaded. He's the perfect QB for Shanahan's offense. 

I wouldn't be so sure that Purdy is actually good . It's entirely possible that last year was a mirage and he's going to turn into a pumpkin, leaving the 49ers in the "Aggressively Mid" QB zone.

Like it would not surprise me if Sam Darnold wins more games for the 49ers this year than Purdy does.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I wouldn't be so sure that Purdy is actually good . It's entirely possible that last year was a mirage and he's going to turn into a pumpkin, leaving the 49ers in the "Aggressively Mid" QB zone.

Like it would not surprise me if Sam Darnold wins more games for the 49ers this year than Purdy does.

I kept waiting for that last year and he just kept on coming thru for them until injury. He’s definitely not a pumpkin but he’s got to prove he’s back from a pretty significant injury for a QB and handle the pressure of being the guy after they cut bait on a huge investment. I hope he cracks and that Lance turns out decent. I hate the Cowboys and the 9ers but recent history and the fact that I live out here means I hate the 9ers more than anyone outside of the division. 

Edited by Refugee

10 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I kept waiting for that last year and he just kept on coming thru for them until injury. He’s definitely not a pumpkin but he’s got to prove he’s back from a pretty significant injury for a QB and handle the pressure of being the guy after they cut bait on a huge investment. I hope he cracks and that Lance turns out decent. I hate the Cowboys and the 9ers but recent history and the fact that I live out here means I hate the 9ers more than anyone outside of the division. 

Purdy did have a really good run last season.  

Will be interesting to see now that opposing defenses have more tape and time to see what he struggles with and can get a bit more in depth with game planning.  SF does have some really nice skill positions to offset the dependence on Purdy to carry the offense

32 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I figure that at some point  (like the playoffs) defenses are going to figure out how to not make the reads as easy as the 49ers offense is designed to make them.

(That’s exactly the fear I have for our guy.)

Edited by Uffdaswede

1 minute ago, Uffdaswede said:

(That’s exactly the fear I have for our guy.)

I mean, Love has an enormous edge on Purdy when it comes to arm strength and being able to fit the ball in tight windows.  Like the Cover 2 shell is coming back into style, and the way you beat it (other than running) is that you're able to hit those flat-7 throws that require timing and precision.  I don't think Purdy can make those throws; I know Love can.

Watching the 9ers PS. Their kicker went out with a calf injury so they will be going for almost anything on 4th down. The local guys also said they’re pretty stacked at TE and will have to make some decisions on the 53. Too bad they’re not keeping 3 QBs but we might start fishing for cuts as soon as clock hits 0:00 tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Assume you meant Purdy and that was a typo. I get your point and the league is lucky they didn't. 

I don't think Purdy is going to be a one-year wonder and the 49ers roster is loaded. He's the perfect QB for Shanahan's offense. 

Yes that was a typo. I agree he is perfect for the offense. Shanahan is more comfortable coaching pocket passers.

My only concern with Purdy is his health. He seems to be great for that team otherwise.

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

Watching the 9ers PS. Their kicker went out with a calf injury so they will be going for almost anything on 4th down. The local guys also said they’re pretty stacked at TE and will have to make some decisions on the 53. Too bad they’re not keeping 3 QBs but we might start fishing for cuts as soon as clock hits 0:00 tomorrow. 

Mason crosby to 49ers?