NFL News & Notes

Leader

52 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

If we get the offer the bears made for Khalil Mack at this year's deadline, we take that.  Something less, probably keep Gary.

I don't think Gary's age perfectly fits with the window the rest of this team has. 

LVN's does though.  Musgrave, Watson, Tom, Elgton Jenkins, Jaire, Quay Walker, Wyatt all are better long term fits given age and existing contract.

Trading Gary and not having to pay him is a big thing.  You get to spend that money on a player who is supposedly just as good as Gary.

Devonte Wyatt is four months younger than Rashan Gary. Elgton Jenkins is two years older than Gary and just got his bag last year. He will cost more on the cap the next two years than Gary does after getting his money. 

You keep around your core vets who are pro-bowl, all-pro potential guys. Gary is that guy. 

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

He does this at least 5x per season and if you haven't seen them I guess you just haven't been paying attention.  It's a well known thing in NE - any random question can set up a really long tangent like answer.

Belichick is a huge NFL history guy, which in fairness, he was working in the league for a lot of it. I've heard he actually has the largest collections of old playbooks and coaches notes from the 50s, 60s, and 70s of anybody. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Devonte Wyatt is four months younger than Rashan Gary. Elgton Jenkins is two years older than Gary and just got his bag last year. He will cost more on the cap the next two years than Gary does after getting his money. 

You keep around your core vets who are pro-bowl, all-pro potential guys. Gary is that guy. 

Yeah but the window is in 3-5 years, not next 2 years.  Love is a first year starter.

The fact Gary is young just means he's gonna be expensive sooner.  Jenkins they have already committed to

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Yeah but the window is in 3-5 years, not next 2 years.  Love is a first year starter.

The fact Gary is young just means he's gonna be expensive sooner.  Jenkins they have already committed to

You pay quarterbacks, pass rushers, CBs and OTs. It's a pretty simple formula. 

No chance I'm letting Gary walk for 1 - FRP like the dude I started this conversation with suggested. 

Also, if Wyatt and Jenkins are part of the future, you damn sure can bet Gary should be. Jenkins is getting pretty nice coin for a guard. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You pay quarterbacks, pass rushers, CBs and OTs. It's a pretty simple formula. 

No chance I'm letting Gary walk for 1 - FRP like the dude I started this conversation with suggested. 

Also, if Wyatt and Jenkins are part of the future, you damn sure can bet Gary should be. Jenkins is getting pretty nice coin for a guard. 

I think GB will retain Gary. For how much...I'll know when/if they sign him up.
I'd just like to see how his knee's come along and think the Packers do as well.

I dont know (or cant compare their injuries....) but Tonyan was a shell of himself last year. Looked like he was running in mud. How will he look this year? Hopefully, not much better.

I've no clue what Bak's knee must look like. I'm just hoping for the best (cause we need him) and keeping my 🤞he doesnt ruin himself trying to play on it.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'd just like to see how his knee's come along and think the Packers do as well.

I dont know (or cant compare their injuries....) but Tonyan was a shell of himself last year. Looked like he was running in mud. How will he look this year? Hopefully, not much better.

I've no clue what Bak's knee must look like. I'm just hoping for the best (cause we need him) and keeping my 🤞he doesnt ruin himself trying to play on it.

Elgton Jenkins came back fine. Most do nowadays. We didn't extend Jenkins until December (around Christmas) when he returned from his ACL. Is that the playbook we use with Gary? 

I think if he comes screaming out of the gate playing with his hair on fire, it will be cheaper the sooner we get it done. If you wait until he puts up some 15 sacks or so, he's rightfully going to want to reset the market Bosa just reset from Watt. 

A gambling man would see how much they could get him for now. Would it be low 20's? That would turn into a bargain in 2 years. 

Edited by Old Guy

43 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I don't think it was "oh anyone can do it" and more "it didn't used to be a specialty, is it necessary for it to be one now?" Back inOd say the 80s it was just your center, and if he got hurt usually there was a TE or LB who could do it. 

As far as GB, they signed veteran center Blair Bush as a plan B free agent, and found him so valuable as a LS that (IIRC) he just flew in for games. 

Like I said in another response to Leader, I do realize he meant nothing nefarious by it and was trying to pick Bill's brain, but the wording just rubbed me the wrong way since there are people who say that sort of **** and are 100% serious.

55 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Belichick is a huge NFL history guy, which in fairness, he was working in the league for a lot of it. I've heard he actually has the largest collections of old playbooks and coaches notes from the 50s, 60s, and 70s of anybody. 

This is either a very interesting fact or the set up to a very good joke or both. 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Now would be the time to front load a Gary extension with the way we have managed the Rodgers contract would it not?

Regardless how it's structured they are keeping Gary. He came along nicely. I think they are hoping the same thing for Van Ness. 

Edited by Toddfather

Just now, Toddfather said:

Now would be the time to front load a Gary extension with the way we have managed the Rodgers contract would it not?

I dont have access to his medical records...nor do I know who's taking to who...what offers / counteroffers have been made (if any) or rejected...and by whom. If that info's gone public, I've not seen it.

So...I'm guessing GB might want to see him in regular season action...which is probably a smart thing to do. 

14 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Regardless how it's structured they are keeping Gary. He came along nicely. I think they are hoping the same thing for Van Ness. 

Not as much front-loading room as you might think. We have a lot of dead cap for Rodgers this year and I believe next year as well.