NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

no, but we could've traded him for a 2nd round pick (probably more) and paid him his money instead.

So, in essence we gave up a 2nd for the pleasure of paying him.

Anyway I'm just being cheeky about it, but the moves made are not THAT different.

Remember there's also a salary floor. If you don't pay Gary, who will you give that money to instead? 

Nobody better (by far, per you) on the team.

So the other option is to give up draft picks AND money, or suffer the winners curse in free agency 

Pretty shocked to see WAS deal both Sweat and Young.  Assumed it would be one or the other, and kind of expected it to be Young.  Their GM has embraced the tank, and I have to think the new ownership is prepping to clean house.  Will be interesting to see how they compete the rest of the way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Is trading for Joe Burrow different than trading for Geno Smith?

That's probably the difference in talent here. Gary is 3rd in the league in pass rush win rate, Sweat is at 8%, not even sure if that's top 50. Sweat is a nice player, a lot like Preston is. They just traded a 2nd and a big deal for 27 year old Preston. 

Okay man, I'm trying to keep track here.  I post PFF grades and scores and am told that PFF is garbage.  Someone on Twitter posts PFF stats as having Gary as 3rd in the league in pass rush win rate and that is cited as gospel over and over?

How are we doing it now?  PFF is garbage unless it fits a narrative?  Or is that rush win rate stuff not a PFF metric as I thought I saw it posted as?

Regarding Sweat, he's the #28 ranked EDGE, compared to Gary who is tied for #20. 

Gary's score is 79.5.  Sweat's is 76.8.  The difference is that Sweat's run score is very good, when Gary's is poor.  Sweat's pass run score is meh where Gary's is very good.

I feel like Sweat is a nice piece to have.  Bears have cap to burn, and now if they draft an EDGE high, they have a pair of good ones.  And now they do not have to draft an EDGE high, because they have one and can look elsewhere.

The only thing that could be a downside is that they gave up a pretty premium pick.  Had it been a round later, it would have been viewed as a great deal for the Bears, though, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I get it.  I feel like "wins" are also subjective, but not nearly as to the extent as scoring an offensive lineman.

It's all subjective, so getting to the scores is addictive in subjectivity.

I still think it's all generally useful, however. It's a tool worth considering IMO.

Heard something I needed to confirm cause I couldnt believe it.
In the last ten years, the Raiders have had six (now seven) head coaches:

Dennis Allen
Tony Sparano
Jack Del Rio
Jon Gruden
Rich Bisaccia
Josh McDaniels

Geeezzzz. Talk about instability.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Heard something I needed to confirm cause I couldnt believe it.
In the last ten years, the Raiders have had six (now seven) head coaches:

Dennis Allen
Tony Sparano
Jack Del Rio
Jon Gruden
Rich Bisaccia
Josh McDaniels

Geeezzzz. Talk about instability.

I don't really count "interim" coaches in there.