NFL News & Notes

Leader

16 hours ago, Norm said:

I also don't want to do it to help the offense. I just think it's a stupid rule. It doesn't happen that much anyways to alter offensive output in any meaningful way.

It doesn’t happen often but do you remember when the Bears challenged a potential touchdown and upon further review it was a turnover, and upon further, further review the Bears still suck?  I will not forget that one for a long time and for that reason alone, the rule stands. 

I understand it may seem inconsistent but the endzone has its own governing rules and I’m ok with that. I will say it gets more convoluted for kicks.  If a receiving team muffs a kick in the endzone they can still pick it up. I assume this would be because possession is not established. If you are sloppy enough to fumble into the endzone, you don’t deserve a break. 

Edited by Refugee

56 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Basketball and soccer is about last touch, not possession.  Not the same at all.

If the current rule was modified to give the defense possession where the EZ fumble actually occurred rather than moving the ball to the 20, that would be an improvement. It's the moving the ball to the 20 that doesn't make sense to me.

It's considered a touchback. Just like when you kick off and if goes out of the endzone or is downed in the endzone. It's actually consistent or was until they moved kick-off to the 25 but punts still start at the 20. 

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It's considered a touchback. Just like when you kick off and if goes out of the endzone or is downed in the endzone. It's actually consistent or was until they moved kick-off to the 25 but punts still start at the 20. 

Instead of considering a fumble to be a touchback, I propose we instead treat a fumble as a fumble.

26 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Instead of considering a fumble to be a touchback, I propose we instead treat a fumble as a fumble.

It is a fumble. Recovered by the defense. Can't start play in the endzone. Touchback.

Otherwise what's a ******* safety. Just restart play at the 1 if the endzones don't mean anything. You don't get points for sacking people anywhere else?

Edited by HighCalebR

30 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

It is a fumble. Recovered by the defense. Can't start play in the endzone. Touchback.

Otherwise what's a ******* safety. Just restart play at the 1 if the endzones don't mean anything. You don't get points for sacking people anywhere else?

Except the fumble wasn't recovered by the defense

11 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

The only reason the offense gets the football in other cases is because it has always been that way. It’s dumb. The defense should always get the ball.  Everything is consistent and you don’t have to make up some ridiculous rules for it going into the EZ or not.  Ball goes out, defense gets it. Just like basketball and soccer and just about any other sport.  

This is a logical interpretation. It really favors the defense, though (which there's nothing more inherently wrong with than current rules that favor the offense). It really makes the field feel more like a prison for the defense. It would result in a lot more turnovers every year (which would also be exciting). 

I'd make that rule so that the ball must have been lost prior to crossing the sideline, however (i.e. ball has to move across the sideline on its own power). There's probably a safety reason (crowded sidelines) to allow ball carriers to lose the ball and brace themselves for impact once they've crossed the sideline.