NFL News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

If the Broncos were to want to cut Russell Wilson next year, they would have 85 million in dead cap. Which they can't do if they want to put a competitive team on the field. As it is, they're projected to be 27 million over in effective cap space in 2024. 

I believe they can spread the hit over 24 and 25 while on a rebuild.  A Denver fan outlined it better in the news section.  What they need to do is take their medicine and go for a full rebuild.  Make a 3 year plan to get back into playoff contention, and if that doesn't work, start over again.  The Bears are in the middle of that, their 2023 draft was all about the future.  The Packers are kind of in the middle of that with the youngest offense in the league.  But both of these teams have more or less ripped the band-aid off.  Or the Broncos can do what the Saints do and keep kicking the can down the road and almost compete every season.

14 hours ago, Leader said:

Does DEN avoid paying the injury guarantee by benching Wilson?  If so, I'd expect the NFLPA to fight that.

EDIT: Never mind, I see.  They are avoiding the possibility of him getting injured in these last two games and triggering the injury clause.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 3

On 12/28/2023 at 10:03 AM, Mazrimiv said:

Does DEN avoid paying the injury guarantee by benching Wilson?  If so, I'd expect the NFLPA to fight that.

EDIT: Never mind, I see.  They are avoiding the possibility of him getting injured in these last two games and triggering the injury clause.

Sounds like the NFLPA already did get involved when DEN tried making this move to bench Wilson earlier in the season.

Speaking Friday, Wilson said the team's decision-makers told him on "the Monday or Tuesday" after the Broncos' Oct. 29 win over the Chiefs that they would bench him if he didn't adjust that $37 million guarantee.

The Broncos were 3-5 after the win vs. the Chiefs, and an injury to Wilson over the season's final nine games could have triggered the guarantee if it was serious enough for him to be unable to pass a physical come March. Wilson said the NFL and its players' association "got involved," and he remained Denver's starter as the team posted wins over the Bills, the Minnesota Vikings and Cleveland Browns in the weeks that followed.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:00 PM, HighCalebR said:

The downside of "going all in" when you get the eval wrong. Just a QB away they thought.

They can't trade him until after June 1st either. No chance they get anything significant with that contract looming for the acquiring team. Not with those salaries in 2025, 2026, and 2027. Although only the 2024 salary of 17 million is guaranteed. 

So, Russ cashed in over 100 million for two years and will probably get another 50-60 guaranteed from another quarterback desperate team this off season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

They can't trade him until after June 1st either. No chance they get anything significant with that contract looming for the acquiring team. Not with those salaries in 2025, 2026, and 2027. Although only the 2024 salary of 17 million is guaranteed. 

So, Russ cashed in over 100 million for two years and will probably get another 50-60 guaranteed from another quarterback desperate team this off season. 

The worst part is he was under contract for these last two years already when they traded for him. A huge raise for ****ty Mr unlimited.

Forgot if that tweet was posted here. Just a huge mismanagement of funds. 

On 12/29/2023 at 5:50 PM, Isherwood said:

It’s extremely funny that Denver panicked and traded the house for Russ after Rodgers fell through. This is what desperation gets you. 

It's just not quite as funny when I remember that GB surely could have traded Rodgers to the Hackett coached Broncos for a package similar to what SEA received for Wilson. Instead, GB decided to sign him to that stupid extension.

• Like 1