NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Mike Maconald still out there too.

Johnson to WAS seems likely, and Slowik to ATL is picking up steam.

Meanwhile, SEA has a second interview with Dan Quinn today...

I hope MacDonald stays in Baltimore. Increases the Packers chances of getting Weaver or Hewitt. 

Is Belichick to Atlanta over?

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/arthur-blank-is-panicking-in-total-disarray-over-falcons-hc-search/

Albert Breer pointed out on The Rich Eisen Show that the organizational structure component to bringing Bill Belichick into the fold with Rich McKay and Terry Fontenot could be a holdup.

To add even more context to the situation, Zach Klein recently expanded on the situation with Brian Barrett on the Off The Pike podcast.

Klein went as far as to say that Belichick would 1000% not be reporting to Arthur Blank via Rich McKay every single Monday after a game. Klein says that Blank has met with his head coaches every single Monday for the entirety of his tenure as Falcons owner, and as he’s aged, his confidant, McKay, has as acted a liaison of sorts.

None of this is new information, though. The organizational structure with Belichick and McKay was always thought of to be a hurdle that Blank would eventually have to get over. However, Klein did have something to add that was jarring. His sources around the league say that Arthur Blank is “panicking, in total disarray, doesn’t know what to do.”

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Atlanta should hire ben johnson.  Full stop.

Or Macdonald.

And it looks like they hired Raheem Morris. 

Man, 2 HC jobs left for a handful of candidates everyone was sure would get jobs. 

It’s wild who is going to be left after the musical chairs. 

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The rams getting 2 3rd round picks for this just doesn't sit right with me. How long until FO around the league start to take advantage of these rules? I want the Packers to hire the most qualified candidate at DC, but if two candidates(one a minority and one white) are similar, then I hope we hire the minority strictly off of potential draft capital gained if they're promoted. 

I suppose there is a debate to be had, but the good news is that there are seemingly more deserving minority coaches than ever, and I also don’t think it’s preventing qualified people of any race from getting jobs.

Ben Johnson is the one guy on the market that I am surprised is still on the market, but of course there’s plenty of time left and also we have no idea how his interviews went. 

I guess I’m kind of surprised Bill is still on the market, but maybe the NFL is getting past these old guys, regardless of their legacy. And with his apparent desires for more personnel control, maybe that’s making the decision to move past the old guard even easier.  

Edited by Isherwood

20 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

SEA and WAS have to be pretty happy with the names that are still available.

Need Wash to hold out for Ben Johnson. Packers absolutely need to get that guy out of Detroit. Would hurt Detroit way more than any FA loss this off-season. 

43 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I mean, this is a killer song, but I don't think he knows **** about stopping 2024 passing games.

Don't judge a book by its cover. He'll always be known as the coach with the the golden pipes.