NFL News & Notes

Leader

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

I would be much more in favor of seeing how the first 1/2 of 2024 goes before doing an extension with Clark.  

If you don't know what he is after so many years in general and 2023 in particular, you will never be happy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

It's not a ranking but according to sportrac there are 61 FA S. Anything in the top 1/3 to me is definitionally "one of the better"

I am impressed with the hoops you are prepared to jump though to defend your hot take of Savage being one of the better FA safeties available.

If this was your definition all along, are you sticking with your stance that GB fans don't consider Savage to be one of the top 20 safeties available in FA?

Edited by Mazrimiv

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I see that PFF has Savage as their #13 FA safety and #148 available FA overall, so that's... something.

Given the arc of his career, you could argue rationally that he could end up being a journeyman washout or perhaps a very good player for another five years. He washes out of the league if he’s as bad as some suspect, and he might be very good if he ends up in a good fit defense, including ours.

My view is like the dyslexic insomniac staying up all night to wonder if there really is a dog: I’m agnostic on the matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am impressed with the hoops you are prepared to jump though to defend your hot take of Savage being one of the better FA safeties available.

If this was your definition all along, are you sticking with your stance that GB fans don't consider Savage to be one of the top 20 safeties available in FA?

I'd probably have him a bit higher but I'm against 30+ age DB as inherently bad gambles. I do think a lot of his problems are poor coaching though. He's near the top of my list based on contract size, age, and potential upside/value, not his performance 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Fire sale starting in Denver. Bolles and Sutton likely next. 

Browns may be looking to pick up draft picks for a trade up to draft a QB.  May want to get ahead of the Vikings.

5 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Browns may be looking to pick up draft picks for a trade up to draft a QB.  May want to get ahead of the Vikings.

You meant Broncos, but I think you could be correct. 

I'm pretty sure that if you're trying to move up in a draft that has a pretty decent first couple of days and an historically bad day 3, 5th and 6th round picks this year aren't going to move the needle much.  Denver made 5 picks in the last draft and are going through a complete rebuild, they need to actually make some picks.

30 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm pretty sure that if you're trying to move up in a draft that has a pretty decent first couple of days and an historically bad day 3, 5th and 6th round picks this year aren't going to move the needle much.  Denver made 5 picks in the last draft and are going through a complete rebuild, they need to actually make some picks.

They might as well grab as many lottery tickets as possible for the next couple drafts, it’s the smart play vs trying to scrap together a competitive team of veterans the next couple years through FA. I’m sure coach Payton wants to win but knows he needs a massive infusion of talent to win in the AFC West right now

54 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

They might as well grab as many lottery tickets as possible for the next couple drafts, it’s the smart play vs trying to scrap together a competitive team of veterans the next couple years through FA. I’m sure coach Payton wants to win but knows he needs a massive infusion of talent to win in the AFC West right now

Denver's already short of a 2nd round draft pick this year (from acquiring Payton) so it would be prohibitively expensive in terms of "future picks" to move up to get a QB anyway.  They're in a bad position since they bet the farm on Russell Wilson and busted.  It's probably better for them to ride out the pain this year.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Sources: The #Broncos are in the process of trading star WR Jerry Jeudy to the #Browns, as Denver tries to stockpile draft picks & Cleveland adds a weapon.   Jeudy’s agent @ChrisCabott of @EquitySports worked behind the scenes to make this happen, landing Jeudy in a great place.

Since when is Jerry Jeudy a star WR?  After all the posts in here with fans wanting to trade for Jeudy, it's a little funny that all it took from CLE was a RD5 and RD6 pick.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Since when is Jerry Jeudy a star WR?  After all the posts in here with fans wanting to trade for Jeudy, it's a little funny that all it took from CLE was a RD5 and RD6 pick.

Yeah, Jeudy has never really panned out.  Cleveland gets a crack at him for cheap.  Cleveland got Amari Cooper on the cheap from Dallas too.