NFL News & Notes

Leader

25 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Since when is Jerry Jeudy a star WR?  After all the posts in here with fans wanting to trade for Jeudy, it's a little funny that all it took from CLE was a RD5 and RD6 pick.

Jeudy is a cautionary tale about guys who play small and get big cushions in college because of the totality of the weapons the other team was putting out there.  Like that Bama team he was on had Tua throwing to Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, and the Smiths DeVonta and Irv.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spilltray said:

I'd probably have him a bit higher but I'm against 30+ age DB as inherently bad gambles. I do think a lot of his problems are poor coaching though. He's near the top of my list based on contract size, age, and potential upside/value, not his performance 

Relying on potential where previous experiences have shown otherwise is a very good way to get fired.  Depending on how much Savage "wants" will go a long ways in determining where he ends up.  Potential is nice when the dollars are right .. time will tell in free agency. 

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah, Jeudy has never really panned out.  Cleveland gets a crack at him for cheap.  Cleveland got Amari Cooper on the cheap from Dallas too.  

His salary isn’t cheap! With how much WR talent has been in the last couple drafts, I wonder how players like Jeudy(fringe #2, solid #3) are going to fair with their second contracts. I feel like WR might follow a similar trajectory as rb in that the elite still get paid but those that are more fringe starters such as #3 wr’s don’t see many strong multi year deals.

25 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

His salary isn’t cheap! With how much WR talent has been in the last couple drafts, I wonder how players like Jeudy(fringe #2, solid #3) are going to fair with their second contracts. I feel like WR might follow a similar trajectory as rb in that the elite still get paid but those that are more fringe starters such as #3 wr’s don’t see many strong multi year deals.

I feel the same way especially with the past several very talented WR classes. The market becomes pretty flooded after a while. Add to that the young talent coming out and the fact that a good OC can get results with less than A+ prototype receivers. Get your QB and your OL locked in, overpay a bit if you have to so there is depth and you won’t get derailed with normal amount of injuries. Draft and develop skill guys and only keep the best of the best or guys who are a bargain relative to what they bring to the team. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Relying on potential where previous experiences have shown otherwise is a very good way to get fired.  Depending on how much Savage "wants" will go a long ways in determining where he ends up.  Potential is nice when the dollars are right .. time will tell in free agency. 

And I can just as easily say "proven" isn't really a thing.

8 hours ago, spilltray said:

And I can just as easily say "proven" isn't really a thing.

You could .. however, past performance is most often times indicative of future gains.   This is a world of what have you done for me lately and proven is what most teams want in an experienced player.  Savage could definitely have been a better player with different coaching but enough to warrant resigning?  As I mentioned, if it's for average/lower dollars, fine .. if it's more .. bye bye.

Savage is entering his 6th season, I already know what his potential/upside is.  He's a JAG, but the league is filled with those.  As long as his salary is in line with his mediocre performance, I don't really have an issue with bringing him back.  There is probably some merit to a strategy of letting the top dozen or so FA safeties sign elsewhere, then sign Savage to the low-end deal he's earned.  It's not going to do anything to upgrade the S group, but at least it would be an inexpensive stop-gap.

Edited by Mazrimiv

Found this on A to Z Sports, and wouldn't have a problem singing Savage to this type of deal.

Top 105 Contract Projections Ahead of 2024 NFL Free Agency

72) S Darnell Savage 2024 Contract Projection
Franchise Tag Likelihood: Low
Projected Contract: 2 years, $9M, $4.5M APY, $5.85M GTD
Year One Cap Hit: $2.25M

A former first-round pick, Savage had his fifth-year option exercised after he recorded eight interceptions in his first three years in the league. Since then he has only added one (in the regular season) to that total in the last two years.

Savage is a liability as a tackler, posting missed tackle rates of over 15% in every season since entering the league. Despite that, Savage is still solid in coverage. He allowed just 0.57 yards per man coverage snap in 2023.

Ultimately, coming off of a down year with multiple deep safeties available, Savage will find a depressed market awaiting him.

Edited by Mazrimiv

Speaking of non GB fans thinking higher of GB players than Packers fans do, this blurb from The Athletics's top available FA's list got my attention.  They have Runyun rated as the #11 overall available FA.

2024 NFL free agency rankings

Runyan plays with excellent initial quickness, and his reactions and instincts are really good. He combo-blocks to linebackers effectively and plays with timing and very good awareness. It helps that he can also play with bend and a solid punch. He's developing into one of the better guards in the NFC. The Packers have already paid left guard Elgton Jenkins, so they'll likely let Runyan walk. — Mueller

Edited by Mazrimiv

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Savage is entering his 6th season, I already know what his potential/upside is.  He's a JAG, but the league is filled with those.  As long as his salary is in line with his mediocre performance, I don't really have an issue with bringing him back.  There is probably some merit to a strategy of letting the top dozen or so FA safeties sign elsewhere, then sign Savage to the low-end deal he's earned.  It's not going to do anything to upgrade the S group, but at least it would be an inexpensive stop-gap.

Agree with this.  We need a lot more production out of the safety position.  

Hard to say what will happen, but signing Xavier McKinney and drafting Cooper DeJean as a safety/corner could do wonders for that secondary.  That's just spitballin, but there's a number of ways they could go.

13 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Speaking of non GB fans thinking higher of GB players than Packers fans do, this blurb from The Athletics's top available FA's list got my attention.  They have Runyun rated as the #11 overall available FA.

2024 NFL free agency rankings

Runyan plays with excellent initial quickness, and his reactions and instincts are really good. He combo-blocks to linebackers effectively and plays with timing and very good awareness. It helps that he can also play with bend and a solid punch. He's developing into one of the better guards in the NFC. The Packers have already paid left guard Elgton Jenkins, so they'll likely let Runyan walk. — Mueller

Maybe he was watching tape of his father

• Like 2

If savage catches that ball against sf the conversation looks a lot different.

At 4.5million per year i would definitely bring him back. just dont make him the main guy back there. We paid key 6 million last year.

It really depends on if the team believes that Runyan is still an ascending player, or if he has peaked.  He is going to be 27 this season and has started 50 of 51 games the last three seasons.  In the very least, you have a relatively young player who has shown at least average guard play over a pretty good sample size.  I wonder if they also rank him highly because he is likely to be a good value if he hits all his marks? This seems like it could be a very good value signing for a team looking to bolster their offensive line.  

I was looking at a list of the FAs, and a couple of things caught my eye.  Did you know that Ezekiel Elliott is only 28 years old? And Jedeveon Clowney is only 31? Seems like those guys have been in the league for like 20 years.

I also haven't paid much attention to him since he left, but Lucas Patrick is a FA again.  He is only 30, and has both center and guard experience.  Do we look at him as an interior super-sub so we don't have to play musical chairs with our OL if one of the preferred starters goes down? I have zero idea how much he will cost.