NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep, a 31-year-old WR who has domestic abuse allegations, reckless driving problems who will cost 22 million dollars while probably getting at least a 4 game suspension is officially requesting a trade.  Four million less than the alleged GOAT QB next year.  Let's talk more about spending a second round pick to lose half of our cap space when we need both half of our cap space and our second round pick to spend on 4-10 year investments who are not cancerous, selfish players at one of the least important positions in football. 

There are going to be so, so, so many people who will by this time next year be saying, "I never thought we needed another WR, I always trusted Adams, Kumerow, MVS, ESB, Moore, Allison."  Even though only like three people could say that and mean it. 

We don't need a WR.  Certainly not one that's going to come in and completely ruin everything with his attitude and selfish, diva, POS behavior. 

Yep and it's infuriating. Some posters are always right, even when they're wrong.

Yep, a 31-year-old WR who has domestic abuse allegations, reckless driving problems who will cost 22 million dollars while probably getting at least a 4 game suspension is officially requesting a trade.  Four million less than the alleged GOAT QB next year.  Let's talk more about spending a second round pick to lose half of our cap space when we need both half of our cap space and our second round pick to spend on 4-10 year investments who are not cancerous, selfish players at one of the least important positions in football. 

There are going to be so, so, so many people who will by this time next year be saying, "I never thought we needed another WR, I always trusted Adams, Kumerow, MVS, ESB, Moore, Allison."  Even though only like three people could say that and mean it. 

We don't need a WR.  Certainly not one that's going to come in and completely ruin everything with his attitude and selfish, diva, POS behavior. 

I think we need a WR, but I'll take Cole Beasley or Adam Humphries. I would have traded two 1's for Mack before I'd trade a single 1 for Brown. 

I don't know how many times someone can say that Brown's cap hit isn't half of our cap space. I am not pounding the table for Brown, but it's hard to turn down a couple years of likely elite play (at any position) for the cost of a 2nd or 3rd round pick and an average to below average WR1 salary. 

You can just say my name.  I don't mind.  If anything, I would like to add a small, quick guy to the group.  I am not opposed to that being a returning Cobb, at a reduced rate.

Just now, JBURGE said:

but it's hard to turn down a couple years of likely elite play (at any position) for the cost of a 2nd or 3rd round pick and an average to below average WR1 salary. 

Not when that couple years is shrouded in divary, aholery, selfishness, domestic abuse, reckless driving and self-absorbed lack of concern for anything but himself is a pretty good way to turn it down. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Not when that couple years is shrouded in divary, aholery, selfishness, domestic abuse, reckless driving and self-absorbed lack of concern for anything but himself is a pretty good way to turn it down. 

I don't love Brown the personality, but I don't think it was too much of an issue before this year, no? Doesn't seem to have effected his play on the field. It seems something snapped between that locker room, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it had to do with the Bell situation. 

If he's not a fit, fine. I am not so quick to throw the option out the window. Seems like other NFL players are thrilled at the opportunity to have him on their team

Just now, Outpost31 said:

You'd have to get the guy into GB for a sit down and set some ground rules before swinging that deal.  Might even need some new language added to his contract before taking that thing over.  I'm down as a no on the guy, but perhaps a change of scenery is what the guy needs.  If the packers brass came away feeling good about it I'd be more apt to approve.  He's a great player, and if Gute really thinks we are in a championship window still it could make some sense.  Just got to make sure that guy is focused on the task at hand and wants to be there for the right reasons.

58 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And that's it for me, right there.  He's a "me first" player.  A player that plays for stats.  I don't want that kind of mentality in the WR room rubbing off on the young guys.  Has nothing to do with his contract.  For that players production...it is a nice deal.  But Brown comes with just so much baggage and it isn't an isolated incident.  It's a well established pattern of behavior.

24 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Feels like only yesterday people were calling for Ted Thompson's head by pointing to John Elway and John Schneider and justifying his firing by pointing to Howie Roseman. 

Over time Elway's lack of quality drafting has really hurt him. He is a baller in FA though

NY Daily News:

If the Giants are in quarterback hell, the Denver Broncos are their next-door neighbors.

Broncos GM John Elway has agreed in principle to trade a 2019 fourth-round pick to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for veteran QB Joe Flacco, per ESPN and Denver’s 9News.

And if the desperation of such a trade doesn’t remind the Giants how urgently they must find Eli Manning’s successor and replacement, nothing will.

Elway, a two-time Super Bowl-winning Hall of Fame QB, has failed for years as Broncos GM to land a franchise quarterback. His team’s fortunes have spiraled accordingly.

He brought in Peyton Manning as a free agent in 2012, and Elway’s Von Miller-led defense carried Manning’s Broncos to the 2015 Super Bowl. But Elway whiffed on 2012 second-round pick Brock Osweiler and 2016 first-rounder Paxton Lynch, whom Elway traded up to select.

Trevor Siemian, Elway’s 2015 seventh-round pick, became the Broncos’ leading passer for 2016 (9-7) and 2017 (5-11) as they slipped out of the playoffs. And then Elway signed free agent Case Keenum to a two-year, $36 million contract last offseason.

And that was followed by a 6-10 record in 2018, the firing of head coach Vance Joseph after only two years, and now Wednesday’s news that Keenum’s time in Denver is already up.

The Broncos after all are shopping Keenum now with Flacco in the fold, and they plan to either trade or release Keenum, per NFL Network.

This does not eliminate the Broncos, who hold the No. 10 overall pick, from drafting a quarterback at the top of April’s first round, though. On the contrary, Elway has been linked since November to Missouri QB Drew Lock, first by Denver TV/radio host Benjamin Allbright.

Elway also could be lying in the weeds to pounce on a trade up for Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, the Giants’ likely target if they take a QB at No. 6 overall or trade up themselves.

So the Giants and Broncos now are in similar positions at quarterback with Flacco in Denver: preparing to start a past-his-prime former champion in 2019 while angling to draft his successor in April.