NFL News & Notes

Leader

The biggest thing is that wearing green that weekend will make sure everybody knows you're a tourist and probably an easy mark for pickpocketing/mugging. 

You're not going to get gunned down for wearing a Favre jersey. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The biggest thing is that wearing green that weekend will make sure everybody knows you're a tourist and probably an easy mark for pickpocketing/mugging. 

Maybe in Kiln Mississippi. The Favre/Clampet feud runs deep. 

I’ve been to Brazil several times and definitely no one that wasn’t going to target you for being a foreigner in the first place will target you just because of your chosen US football Jersey. I’m sure they will have some designated “Packers Everywhere” locations for the people who don’t want to go off the beaten path.

Rio is objectively more beautiful than São Paolo and unfortunately the players  won’t get to stroll around Ipanema or Corcovado although I wouldn’t be surprised if they are there for a few days and take in some sights in RJ. SP is a massive city, larger than NYC and of course there are some areas that are no go for basically anybody. The players will be moved around in highly secure transportation and kept in what will basically be a resort mostly because they won’t want any incidents to reflect poorly on the country or team but there are many very nice areas in SP with luxury hotels, restaurants, clubs etc.

The reality is that there is a greater divide between the have and have nots there than we currently have here. Even rich people drive pretty understated cars in Brazil. They do their playing in gated mansions, clubs and yachts but it’s better not to stand out in general public as having lots of money. 

Edited by Refugee

53 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A mugging can turn into a stabbing pretty quickly.

If it's just bar fights and dust ups nobody would give a **** 

whatever that's tourism baby. Go at your own risk. Be careful, try to blend in and follow the advice of the tourism board or whatever.

But If they're not letting the players do touristy things because of the inherent risks of being in Brazil I think maybe the cons outweigh the pros on this one. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Unless it was the Vikings version. They hate the Vikings in Brazil also. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

Maybe in Kiln Mississippi. The Favre/Clampet feud runs deep. 

I’ve been to Brazil several times and definitely no one that wasn’t going to target you for being a foreigner in the first place will target you just because of your chosen US football Jersey. I’m sure they will have some designated “Packers Everywhere” locations for the people who don’t want to go off the beaten path.

Rio is objectively more beautiful than São Paolo and unfortunately the players  won’t get to stroll around Ipanema or Corcovado although I wouldn’t be surprised if they are there for a few days and take in some sights in RJ. SP is a massive city, larger than NYC and of course there are some areas that are no go for basically anybody. The players will be moved around in highly secure transportation and kept in what will basically be a resort mostly because they won’t want any incidents to reflect poorly on the country or team but there are many very nice areas in SP with luxury hotels, restaurants, clubs etc.

The reality is that there is a greater divide between the have and have nots there than we currently have here. Even rich people drive pretty understated cars in Brazil. They do their playing in gated mansions, clubs and yachts but it’s better not to stand out in general public as having lots of money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

So I guess as long as we don't wear more than this amount of green, we are good?

Just did a quick look through of some of the stories of the olympic athletes in that Olympics and I'm not sure your point stands lol. 

15 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Gangs in LA.

If you're getting in life or death violence over colors, you're in a gang. You're not a fan, you're in a gang.

That’s an oversimplified way to view Los Angeles lol. Not every knucklehead itching for a fight is in a gang. I’m sure your local bar has a few itself. 

https://abc7.com/bryan-stow-giants-fan-attacked-dodger-stadium-beaten-at-the-ballpark/13756451/

This had absolutely nothing to do with gang culture. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just did a quick look through of some of the stories of the olympic athletes in that Olympics and I'm not sure your point stands lol. 

There were some stories of athletes finding trouble but most was from their own bad behavior. The US swim team guys were dumb***es that trashed a gas station and tried to lie and say they were robbed, then changed the story that they were robbed by police, then it came out they trashed a gas station and the police were security guards. I have friends in Rio and the general national consensus was that they were entitled US athletes who F’ed up after a night out and tried to blame it on Brazilians making the country look bad at a time they wanted to put on their best face for the world. 

Edited by Refugee

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

That’s an oversimplified way to view Los Angeles lol. Not every knucklehead itching for a fight is in a gang. I’m sure your local bar has a few itself. 

https://abc7.com/bryan-stow-giants-fan-attacked-dodger-stadium-beaten-at-the-ballpark/13756451/

This had absolutely nothing to do with gang culture. 

Sure it is, not crips and bloods. But dodgers gang vs.   It's not a well organized gang and has no industry but it's still a gang of people that's passed Fandom by.

If my bar does have people stabbing each other it's from a personal standpoint (he bumped ME, he talked to MY girl) not because they wear a color. (His GROUP opposes my GROUP)

People reverting to tribal ****. Tribes or gangs or mobs of humans, it's all the same.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think you are seeing what you want to see lol

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Sure it is, not crips and bloods. But dodgers gang vs.   It's not a well organized gang and has no industry but it's still a gang of people that's passed Fandom by.

If my bar does have people stabbing each other it's from a personal standpoint (he bumped ME, he talked to MY girl) not because they wear a color. (His GROUP opposes my GROUP)

People reverting to tribal ****. Tribes or gangs or mobs of humans, it's all the same.

It is interesting how much we seem to need, or believe we need, an other as a unifying force to act. Sports definitely taps into that. The US recently beat Pakistan in an international cricket match.  I doubt many in the US minus a subset of our South Asian population even heard about it but it was a huge upset. Now Pakistan and India play and that cricket rivalry essentially stands in as a proxy for generations of conflict.