NFL News & Notes

Leader

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

Oh well....

back on the BUST TRAIN B-B-B-boys!

That stinks though.  If it isn't bad, it looks like short recovery with a brace.  This also may be a good excuse to keep him in classroom activities and maybe practice but not in games, which I believe the consensus was let him sit and learn for a while anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

back on the BUST TRAIN B-B-B-boys! That stinks though.  If it isn't bad, it looks like short recovery with a brace.  This also may be a good excuse to keep him in classroom activities and maybe practice but not in games, which I believe the consensus was let him sit and learn for a while anyway.

Tom Pelissero -   Vikings rookie QB J.J. McCarthy will undergo surgery this week for a meniscus injury, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

The surgery will determine how long McCarthy will miss. But it now appears Sam Darnold is in line to be Minnesota’s Week 1 starter.

Stop me if you've heard this before

Steelers have potential deal in place for 49ers receiver, per report

Brandon Aiyuk's crazy contract saga might be coming to an end. The Pittsburgh Steelers have a deal on a potential trade for the 49ers receiver, according to NFL Network. Pittsburgh is also in a good place when it comes to a possible long-term deal for Aiyuk if the 49ers sign off on the trade, per the report. 

Edited by Mazrimiv

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

back on the BUST TRAIN B-B-B-boys!

That stinks though.  If it isn't bad, it looks like short recovery with a brace.  This also may be a good excuse to keep him in classroom activities and maybe practice but not in games, which I believe the consensus was let him sit and learn for a while anyway.

Aren't torn meniscus injuries 6-8 weeks? 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Aren't torn meniscus injuries 6-8 weeks? 

Yeah, I looked it up.  Leader posted that he did have surgery, so that probably lengthens the recovery time, but also probably assures that it won't happen again.  He will probably have to wear a brace this season, when he comes back.  But this isn't a Bakhtiari or Daunte Culpepper knee injury, he should be fine.

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yeah, I looked it up.  Leader posted that he did have surgery, so that probably lengthens the recovery time, but also probably assures that it won't happen again.  He will probably have to wear a brace this season, when he comes back.  But this isn't a Bakhtiari or Daunte Culpepper knee injury, he should be fine.

Mental reps are not the same as real reps. Probably keeps him on bench for the year. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leader said:

But according to the Jets sub "sources" Joe Douglas would never do a 1st round pick swap for Rodgers so it obviously didn't happen.  What actually happened was the Jets drafted LVN at 13 and then sent him, two 2nds, and a 6th to GB for 15 and Rodgers.

giphy.gif

After watching a bunch of preseason games, I'd estimate from my viewing the average return spot on the kickoffs I saw was probably 27-28 yardline. A few at or before the 25, but most got to around the 30. If this rule is going to do anything, the touchback is going to need to be moved to the 35. Saving 2 yards isn't worth the risk of the other team breaking a big one.

• Like 3

Just now, Packerraymond said:

After watching a bunch of preseason games, I'd estimate from my viewing the average return spot on the kickoffs I saw was probably 27-28 yardline. A few at or before the 25, but most got to around the 30. If this rule is going to do anything, the touchback is going to need to be moved to the 35. Saving 2 yards isn't worth the risk of the other team breaking a big one.

I had the same takeaway.  Teams will continue kicking into the EZ and just take the touchback.  If the NFL actually wants to see returns, touchbacks will need to be moved to the 35.

47 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Looks like Ben Solak is moving up in the world.  Always liked reading his draft stuff on TDN, then he moved to the Ringer.  Now he's at ESPN. 

Then again, maybe ESPN isn't the gold standard it used to be for sports journalism.

Brandon Aiyuk contract: Should the 49ers trade or pay him?

Feel confident in saying ESPN’s talent pool has been severely depleted since their peak in the early 2000’s. 

• Like 1