NFL News & Notes

Leader

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

After watching a bunch of preseason games, I'd estimate from my viewing the average return spot on the kickoffs I saw was probably 27-28 yardline. A few at or before the 25, but most got to around the 30. If this rule is going to do anything, the touchback is going to need to be moved to the 35. Saving 2 yards isn't worth the risk of the other team breaking a big one.

I’ll wait to see it in the regular season with a bigger sample size and maybe some teams showing some more creativity but it seems like what you see is what you get. The basic set up of the play means the 25 should be easy, more than 30 a lot tougher. 

Edited by Refugee

Posted (edited)

Out for the season....

Ian Rapoport -  Vikings first-round QB JJ McCarthy underwent a full meniscus repair this morning and is out for the 2024 season.

The repair, done by Dr. Chris Larson at Twin Cities Orthopedics, gives McCarthy the best chance at a long, successful career.

Edited by Leader

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

^That is a lot longer than I expected.

From what I saw yesterday, it was always a "lets cut him open and find out whats necessary" before they could predict how long he'd be out. Apparently, the necessary repair was a bit more extensive than they'd have liked.

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

^That is a lot longer than I expected.

Mark Ingram got scoped for a meniscus tear in college and was back playing about six weeks later.

I am very surprised this was season ending for McCarthy. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

10 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Mark Ingram got scoped for a meniscus tear in college and was back playing about six weeks later.

Menisectomy... partial removal is 4-6 week recovery if no other cartilage issues.

10 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I am very surprised this was season ending for McCarthy. 

Meniscus repair is 4-6 months.  

Both are/can be done arthroscopically, (scoped) but recovery time is very different

32 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

So what are the Vikes going to end up with their top 5 selection. Pass rusher?

Somewhere on the DL (good year for that).  We don't know what they have in Turner yet, but Graham out of Michigan or Walker out of Kentucky would be good fits.

Still, I don't think the Vikings win appreciably more games with McCarthy starting than with Darnold starting (barring injury) this year.  The offense is not the problem with that team, a literal replacement level QB can probably score points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

So what are the Vikes going to end up with their top 5 selection. Pass rusher?

I don't really think the McCarthy injury moves the needle for them from a W/L standpoint this season.  They hadn't planned to play him right away, and it's not like he was likely to turn their season around once he got on the field.  This injury probably hurts MIN on the field more in 2025/2026 than it does in 2024.

Just now, squire12 said:

I don't think the QB class is thst hyped to warrant that at the moment 

No, this QB class isn't very good.  But there's also a bunch of teams worse off than the Vikings in terms of "who is going to pick high in the draft next spring".  Like you'd expect the Vikings with Sam Darnold would be straight up favored in their games against the Giants, Cardinals, and Titans.

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't really think the McCarthy injury moves the needle for them from a W/L standpoint this season.  They hadn't planned to play him right away, and it's not like he was likely to turn their season around once he got on the field.  This injury probably hurts MIN on the field more in 2025/2026 than it does in 2024.

The biggest thing is it slows down the QB development arc. If they have their guy, it would be good to get him a solid number of games later this season.  At the same time, he would probably be holding the clipboard most of the time so who knows?