NFL News & Notes

Leader

11 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Bad teams and Shaky Management. I used Runyan as an example for a reason.

If Meyer is still ranked in the middle of the pack center wise, you don't pay him. You let somebody else overpay him.

I'm all in on keeping Meyers for under 10, probably 8 tops, based on his play so far. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If Meyer is still ranked in the middle of the pack center wise, you don't pay him. You let somebody else overpay him.

I'm all in on keeping Meyers for under 10, probably 8 tops, based on his play so far. 

It won’t be for less than 10mil. Likely not less than 13. The market doesn’t go backwards. At any rate, what he does this year will determine next year’s plan. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

It won’t be for less than 10mil. Likely not less than 13. The market doesn’t go backwards. At any rate, what he does this year will determine next year’s plan. 

Only six centers over 10 a year average over length of contract. Hard to say where Myers lands. If he's rated middle of the pack, every difficult to give him 10 or more. If he has a really good year, then he's getting over 10 a year on average. There are only 8-9 guards at each position paid over 10 a year on average. 

I just noticed Jon Runyan is playing LG for the Giants. 

Center Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Only six centers over 10 a year average over length of contract. Hard to say where Myers lands. If he's rated middle of the pack, every difficult to give him 10 or more. If he has a really good year, then he's getting over 10 a year on average. There are only 8-9 guards at each position paid over 10 a year on average. 

Yeah but that’s looking backwards not forwards. We won’t really know til it happens but the top of the center market has just been significantly reset. Fans have a tendency to lowball but saying you’d pay him 8 tops isn’t the reality. Big year for Josh. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Yeah but that’s looking backwards not forwards. We won’t really know til it happens but the top of the center market has just been significantly reset. Fans have a tendency to lowball but saying you’d pay him 8 tops isn’t the reality. Big year for Josh. 

If he has a big year, then for sure, he's getting more the 10 a year. 

35 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Creed just broke the bank at 18M a year. 4 year extension at 72M

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

If he has a big year, then for sure, he's getting more the 10 a year. 

You might not be getting it. Going back to the Runyan example, he spent the year splitting time with Rhyan at RG and constantly being downgraded by us inmates week in and week out, and a mediocre-to-worse team still forked over 10m/yr for his services. That's an actual precedent, and that's just for a guard. Is the Center situation in the entire NFL, even among the bottom feeders, really so stable as to keep a full-time Myers below 10m/yr?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

You might not be getting it. Going back to the Runyan example, he spent the year splitting time with Rhyan at RG and constantly being downgraded by us inmates week in and week out, and a mediocre-to-worse team still forked over 10m/yr for his services. That's an actual precedent, and that's just for a guard. Is the Center situation in the entire NFL, even among the bottom feeders, really so stable as to keep a full-time Myers below 10m/yr?

Oh, I fully get it. Guards are paid a lot better than centers. Humphrey is an anomaly and likely the best center in the league. 

There are six guards paid more or as much as Humphrey on yearly average. There is nobody in his class as a player coming up for another deal at center. This deal does not automatically make this a trend. 

Will there be a sudden trend where teams decide to pay their average center over twice the league average for a starting center? Doubtful. 

Myers has a good year, he gets over 10 a year, somewhere. IF he's average, he does not. Just because the Giants are a bad organization that does stupid things, does not mean they all are. 

I laughed my bloody head off when they gave that deal to Runyan. We would have gotten a 4th or 5th round pick for that stiff had we not signed McKinney and Jacobs. 

Edited by Old Guy

The creed deal certainly puckers the Bhole a bit more. Now it would probably be wise to let Myers test FA and see where the market for him is. Doubt he'll just sign for a sweetheart deal and probably shouldnt get up into the 15ish.m for him. 

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The creed deal certainly puckers the Bhole a bit more. Now it would probably be wise to let Myers test FA and see where the market for him is. Doubt he'll just sign for a sweetheart deal and probably shouldnt get up into the 15ish.m for him. 

Better start coaching Monk up to take over next year for sure. I still say Myers has to have a pretty good year to get over 10 on the open market, but it only takes one stupid/desperate organization.

• Like 1

With allowances for unforeseen events such as OL injuries or changes in performance, one wonders if the front office already has a firm number in mind for paying him or letting him leave in exchange for FA compensation.

I think that number is less than 10 per. A lot of less replaceable players need paying down the road.

One strange development would be Meyers having a monster year, but there’s still a limit to what this team will pay a center. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

On 8/22/2024 at 11:29 AM, Mazrimiv said:

PHI skill players are scary if they can stay healthy.

• WR: Brown, Smith, Dotson
  • RB: Barkley
  • TE: Goedert

I still think Saquon is overrated 

But not because he might get hurt 

(Although that shouldn't be overlooked either)

Market keeps escalating, so looking at past numbers provides limited insight. 

1. Some players get better; is Myers continuing to get better, and gaining consistency? 
  2. Monk seems often undersized and overwhelmed.  After the season, will he have the size / strength / smarts to count on him as starter?  At the peak of our championship-opportunity window? 
  3. If not Monk, do you want to go with a rookie draftee?  Recent rookie center draft picks have been Monk, Hanson, and Myers.  Would you want to entrust Love and this championship-chase season to Monk right now?  Would you like to enter next year planning on starting rookie-caliber Hanson?  
  4. Linsley was a mid-round rookie who worked.  But he got that opportunity because Tretter got hurt: roster-planning never assumed he start.  Tretter was the intended starter.  
  5. Anti-awful principle.  One can say "Myers isn't great, let him walk if ≥$10 is market price."  But don't without confidence that Monk is ready.  You could get lots worse than Myers.  To say, "no problem, we'll just draft a Linsley", you might instead end up with a Jake Hanson!  *IF* Monk doesn't excel, Myers might have major anti-awful value.
  6. Market price:  Always changing, and perhaps hard to read; but kinda need to be willing to pay market value if anti-awful risk seems high.  
  7. Buy a pick:  *IF* you don't re-sign myers, and *IF* they don't trust Monk, then they'll need to use a high pick.  (Like 2nd on Myers.).  Yes re-signing Myers will cost money, but in a sense that buys you a 2nd-round pick to use on some other good player.  So, unless Gute trusts Monk, Myers' price basically is buying both Myers and a 2nd-round pick.  
Edited by craig
  • Like 1

The Creed deal certainly changes the math on a Myers extension.  I think it's less likely now that GB will extend Myers without him testing the market, and more likely that Myers will get an offer in FA that's significantly above what GB is willing to pay.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I still think Saquon is overrated 

But not because he might get hurt 

(Although that shouldn't be overlooked either)

I was going to put you over in the corner without that part in parentheses!  He might get hurt, so he is definitely overrated.  

• Like 1