NFL News & Notes

Leader

17 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

what a strange strange piece of the CBA.

Hopefully this is a loophole that gets re-worked.  In the grand scheme of things if it really takes off this would make GB potentially at a disadvantage to other more cash-rich teams.  If the new norm becomes insuring literally every player... not sure GB could keep up.

Good to see the Packers are participating, at least with Love.

I would like to see the NFLPA participate in the insurance process and insure every player's contract.

GB is one of the most cash-rich teams in the NFL. This would not put them at any disadvantage, however the cost outweighs the reward probably after the top 3-4 contracts on the team I assume, probably not something that will be done ever for modest contracts.

• Like 1

ESPN writer is guessing that Young's trade value would be a late day 3 pick if CAR traded him now.  I have a tough time believing it's that low.  There must be some teams out there who had Young rated high enough to where they would at least part with an early day 3 pick.  Seems like Young would be an ideal QB2 to pair with Murray in ARI, or even Nix in DEN.

I would post a link, but it's an ESPN+ article that is now blocked, but for whatever reason wasn't blocked earlier this morning.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

ESPN writer is guessing that Young's trade value would be a late day 3 pick if CAR traded him now.  I have a tough time believing it's that low.  There must be some teams out there who had Young rated high enough to where they would at least part with an early day 3 pick.  Seems like Young would be an ideal QB2 to pair with Murray in ARI, or even Nix in DEN.

I would post a link, but it's an ESPN+ article that is now blocked, but for whatever reason wasn't blocked earlier this morning.

Did you see the three way trade between LA, Miami, and Carolina that Chase Daniel put out there?  He was dead serious, it ranks on the level of the annoying guy in fantasy football that offers 400 lopsided trades every week.  I was like, Chase is my boy, but this is some Madden level BS.

https://www.threads.net/@chase_daniel/post/DAEEfLRPizz?hl=en

If you don't want to click the link:

----------

I propose a 3 team trade:

▪️Rams get Bryce Young ▪️Dolphins get Matthew Stafford ▪️Panthers get Dolphins 2nd & Rams 3rd rounder

It’s really not that crazy. NFLThreads

---------

In what universe would the Rams want to trade Fattford and a 3rd rounder to get Bryce Young in return? 

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Did you see the three way trade between LA, Miami, and Carolina that Chase Daniel put out there?  He was dead serious, it ranks on the level of the annoying guy in fantasy football that offers 400 lopsided trades every week.  I was like, Chase is my boy, but this is some Madden level BS.

https://www.threads.net/@chase_daniel/post/DAEEfLRPizz?hl=en

If you don't want to click the link:

----------

I propose a 3 team trade:

▪️Rams get Bryce Young ▪️Dolphins get Matthew Stafford ▪️Panthers get Dolphins 2nd & Rams 3rd rounder

It’s really not that crazy. NFLThreads

---------

In what universe would the Rams want to trade Fattford and a 3rd rounder to get Bryce Young in return? 

Is this from George Costanza? This is dumb, even for the internet.

There is also the financial part of this. The Rams don't have the cap space to absorb the hit from trading Stafford. The Dolphins don't have the cap space to take on the remaining part of his salary for 2024. 

Edited by Old Guy

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Prior to this year's draft in 2024, Justin Fields was traded for a 2025 6th rounder that could become a 4th rounder.    That's probably a good template for a Bryce Young trade.    Late round pick two drafts out with conditions to elevate to a mid-round pick

ESPN - Lions coach Dan Campbell selling his house to seek more privacy.

"There's plenty of space, it's on 2 acres, the home is beautiful," Campbell told Crain's Detroit Business. "It's just that people figured out where we lived when we lost."

He didn't elaborate, but Fox 2 in Detroit reported that Campbell's home address was leaked to the public and he and his family became the victim of pranks and harassment after tough Lions losses, including in the NFC Championship Game. The Campbell family has filed police reports, Fox 2 reported.

///

We've become an odd society.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

ESPN writer is guessing that Young's trade value would be a late day 3 pick if CAR traded him now. 

'Now' as in "during the seasons before the trade deadline" or 'now' as in "at the start of the league year next spring." Since the trade values for guys in the middle of the season gets weird because of supply and demand (and how you're likely little good to a team if you don't yet know their playbook.)  But right now is the nadir of his value.  I imagine the Panthers won't ride out the rest of the season with Dalton, since it really doesn't do them any good to win like 6 games this season.  So Young has the chance to develop his value then.

14 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Prior to this year's draft in 2024, Justin Fields was traded for a 2025 6th rounder that could become a 4th rounder.  That's probably a good template for a Bryce Young trade.  Late round pick two drafts out with conditions to elevate to a mid-round pick

Fields went #11 overall, the Bears had developed him for 3 seasons, and CHI was sitting on the #1 overall pick where the latest "generational" QB was there for the taking. 

Young went #1 overall, is just starting his 2nd season, and CAR has no backup plan at QB beyond a 37 year old Andy Dalton.

I am not seeing these situations as especially similar.

22 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I don't feel like money is much of an issue.  While those are higher numbers for a salvage project at QB, I guess the risk versus reward boils down to your evaluation of him when coming out.  Because, there are many ways to "find" that money, or get the other team to eat some of that money.  But it all boils down to how you viewed him in the draft, and how he fits your organization.  And I would dare to say that for every one team who shrugs their shoulders and says "Why not?", there are 3 or 4 clubs that would nope out of him real fast.

Basically what teams out there would pay a premium to take a stab at Young, have the cap room/some tradeable assets, AND have a need for a young QB. You don't trade what the Panthers would probably want for a career backup. 

MN/Mia make sense. Not sure about LAR - Stafford is aging but competent, not sure where they are with picks or salcap right now. 

49 minutes ago, Leader said:

ESPN - Lions coach Dan Campbell selling his house to seek more privacy.

"There's plenty of space, it's on 2 acres, the home is beautiful," Campbell told Crain's Detroit Business. "It's just that people figured out where we lived when we lost."

He didn't elaborate, but Fox 2 in Detroit reported that Campbell's home address was leaked to the public and he and his family became the victim of pranks and harassment after tough Lions losses, including in the NFC Championship Game. The Campbell family has filed police reports, Fox 2 reported.

///

We've become an odd society.

Do you not remember the harassment Dan Devine took in Green Bay? That was in the 70's. 

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

GB is one of the most cash-rich teams in the NFL. This would not put them at any disadvantage, however the cost outweighs the reward probably after the top 3-4 contracts on the team I assume, probably not something that will be done ever for modest contracts.

perhaps on the balance sheet.  But they don't have a pseudo-unlimited pool of owner money.

As MM said most recently:

"We are in a good, strong financial position, but there will be challenges along the way," Murphy said. "Things are changing within the league with the new ownership, the private equity, new owners, billionaires. The revenue sharing, I don't see that changing in the short term, but if that ever changes, that could be an issue."

"We don't have a rich, deep-pocketed owner," he added. "The economics of the league are changing pretty dramatically."

GB is at an inherent disadvantage as they need to be profitable/breakeven in order to accrue cash to support such spending in current and future years.  Other owners can use their existing cash or business ventures to finance any extra spending.

Right now teams are spending 3-4M on a policy for a 50M/year player.  If they start spending 30-40M on 260M in total salaries that would pretty much wipe out the entireity of GB Packers profit of 60M.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

GB is at an inherent disadvantage as they need to be profitable/breakeven in order to accrue cash to support such spending in current and future years.  Other owners can use their existing cash or business ventures to finance any extra spending.

But they're also at an advantage relative to teams owned by conventional billionaires that the various Packers executives are not looking to extract value from the franchise to fund a extravagant lifestyle for various family members and hangers-on.

I think the fact that the Packers cannot lean on significant cash reserves is more or less balances out by the fact that they are able to, from time to time, sell (economically) worthless stock and have people snap it up in droves.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

sell (economically) worthless stock and have people snap it up in droves.

I remember the late, great **** Schaap commenting in the mid-90s about how Packer stock was trading good money for a worthless piece of paper, and he had his stock certificate framed above his fireplace. 

1 minute ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I remember the late, great **** Schaap commenting in the mid-90s about how Packer stock was trading good money for a worthless piece of paper, and he had his stock certificate framed above his fireplace. 

I mean, it's an objective fact that you can't sell Packers stock for more money than you paid for it  (or really any money at all, since it's non-transferable) but the same is true of a lot of things that people buy because it makes them happy.

• Like 1